Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
OMG wish this would stop im due on holiday 20th may for the 3rd time this year we could not get away jan due to swine flu, april for volcano this is just bad luck.
Liana I think all these panics could send the holiday industry into recession. Must be lots of people who think it is not worth the uncertainty and the hassle. Limps from one panic to another....Butlins anyone :rofl
Just to add anyone leaving on holiday now is NOT covered for anything relating to ASH as we knew it could happen again didn't we :duh
We are due to fly in less than three weeks, will not panic yet as last time the volcano calmed down and people still managed to get away and return safely. things might improve in a few days time .

Alan

:gluck
oh bloody hell here we go again we are due to fly out friday we have everything crossed
I think we need to put this in to perspective. The latest ash cloud is limited to the Outer Hebrides and Ireland. It's not expected to extend further south at this time but this can change of course. The current situation is reported on BBC's website.

Darren
Jacky - It is still the same eruption.
It just hasn't stopped erupting for long enough yet.
If you have a package holiday you are covered. Its the DIY ones your not.
Latest news it could drift to the Midlands!
I think all these panics could send the holiday industry into recession. Must be lots of people who think it is not worth the uncertainty and the hassle. Limps from one panic to another....Butlins anyone :rofl

Where have you been for the last 12/18months, have you not noticed all the holiday companies and airlines that have gone under because of the recession.?...for those who have just about survived, this is the last thing they either wanted or expected, and if your job was connected to the tourist industry, I don't think you'd be finding it funny.
Just to add anyone leaving on holiday now is NOT covered for anything relating to ASH as we knew it could happen again didn't we

Did we.? You must know more than all the experts then because when was the last time there was a volcano that erupted in the UK.? And considering Iceland itself was created from a volcano and we have knowledge of many volcanic eruptions since the middle ages which are preserved in records, and Iceland is a paradise for volcanologists with many active volcanoes erupting all the time, when was the last time one erupted in Iceland which spewed its lava/ash cloud onto the UK.? This one that's causing all the problems, the volcanologists thought it was extinct because it hasn't erupted for almost 200 years.

Volcanoes erupt all the time all over the world and we know the ash clouds and jet engines don't mix, so we avoid them and can fly around them, so, how are we going to fly around the ash cloud that engulfed the British Isles and is threatening to it again.?
C'mon, tell me? You want people to take risks? You want a plane to drop out of the sky because you think it's a panic.?

I'm not trying to defend insurance companies, but if you were writing the inclusions/exclusions for an insurance policy, given the data that we have about volcanic activities around the British Isles, would you think about this happening.?

Would you think that a volcano which had been considered to be extinct would erupt again and because of the position of the volcano in southern Iceland, that the ash cloud would be picked up by the jet stream passing through Iceland in a south easterly direction and spewed across the UK.?
Well, of course now it has happened, it's going to be needed in any future policies, but that's the same as including the exclusions for the possibility of Martians crash landing their spaceship in the UK, after they have done it. :roll: One thing mankind has learnt from all this, is that there is no such thing as an extinct volcano, they are all just dormant.

Sanji
Seeing as Volcanic eruptions affect weather conditions then I should think "adverse weather conditions" in the small print would cover ASH! I was actually stating that many people may decide to stay home instead of booking holidays that they know won't be covered when the ASH blankets the UK again...which it could do! For the "picky" shall I just say throw the package holiday trade into a double dip!

My emoticon was not aimed at the package holiday companies it was for the Butlins suggestion...suppose that will not suit some posters either but, hey, make of it what you will.
what an absolute nightmare... keepimg my fingers crossed that its not going to cause as many disruptions as it did 3 weeks ago, due to fly out from Birmingham on sunday :think
:offtop ...
You must know more than all the experts then because when was the last time there was a volcano that erupted in the UK?
........dont know when it last erupted but there was one in the snowden area in wales ...hope that one is extinct and not just dormant....we even get earth quakes ...have experienced 2 since Ive lived here over 20yrs now...thought it was a local quarry blasting and used too much dynamite....seems we are on some kind of fault line....tweetie

for those interested http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/nature/pages/volcano.shtml

they say our volcano is similar to mount st helens
Liana where did you source the info below?
"If you have a package holiday you are covered. Its the DIY ones your not."

As while in Cyprus when this 1st kicked off last it was the DIYers that were looked after well by those that were booked with easyjet were put in 5 star hotels with full board

:D
Due to fly out to Majorca from Manchester Monday morning and panicking to be honest! If given the chance think I would cancel now and get a refund; its the not knowing hour by hour that is the most frustrating :que
Jacky - How can any tour operator say that because people know about the ash cloud from now on wards they won't be covered?! I could understand them saying that for holidays which have been booked in the last couple of weeks but further back than that is not acceptable in my opinion.

We booked our holiday for end of June in early January, long before the volcano erupted, we certainly did not know this was going to happen when we booked. I would therefore hope that as part of a package deal, Thomas Cook would refund / amend our dates, if the worst were to happen and the ash cloud affected our holiday.
hi tony r....think it depended on who you booked with DIY and who you flew with ....easy jet is european airline and bound by european travel law....non european airlines had there own rules ...but if you booked a package from a TO the rules say its there responsibility to look after you and get you home......there are lots on here out of pocket ....who booked DIY and were only entitled to refund of flight costs....and lost accomodation costs ect....if you DIY'd also using an airline not bound by the european laws....all you got back was your flight home....and it was upto you to find and pay for your accomodation whilst you were stranded.....at least thats what Ive heard...tweetie
Hi Tweetie

Shame that for those that we not helped enough

I cannot big up easyjet enough for all the people I saw them help first hand in Pafos

I was asking as I am doing DIY to menorca in July and want all bases covered where posible :sun2

TonyR
Natalie, I was refering to new bookings. Read that FLYBE are offering Volcano insurance for around £6.95. Sounds a good deal.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.