Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Whilst Glasgow Airport is currently expected to reopen at 1am Thursday, the closure of Northern Ireland airspace has now been extended until at least 7am Thursday.

David :wave

UK Airspace reopened

Airspace over northern Ireland, western Scotland and parts of south-west England was closed overnight after further volcanic ash from Iceland appeared. But air traffic controller NATS said the cloud drifted west through the night and UK airspace was now cleared.

In a statement, NATS said: "The no-fly zone imposed by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) tracking the high density area of the volcanic ash cloud, has moved west overnight and has now cleared UK airspace.

"According to latest information from the Met Office, from 0700 today all UK airfields will be available. We continue to maintain close dialogue with the Met Office and with the CAA, which is responsible for imposing no-fly zones."

With permission from Travelmole
Further restrictions in Irish airspace

The Irish Aviation Authority is introducing further restrictions in Irish airspace with effect from midnight tonight until at least 1pm tomorrow. The IAA reports that whilst northerly winds are keeping the bulk of the ash cloud out in the Atlantic, the increased size of the cloud is encroaching on Irish airspace along the west coast of the country.

Airports expected to close are Donegal, Shannon, Sligo, Ireland West (Knock), Galway and Kerry.

Dublin, Waterford and Cork airports are not affected at this time.

However, in view of the changeable nature of the situation, anyone flying to, from, or within Ireland tomorrow or in the coming days should regularly check the status of their flight with the airline.

Irish airspace has re-opened earlier than initially anticipated, but restrictions have now been imposed in parts of UK airspace, primarily affecting flights between Glasgow and the Hebrides.

A significant increase in the level of volcanic activity in Iceland has reportedly created a massive ash cloud stretching 1000 miles long and 700 miles wide.

The changeable nature of the situation once again emphasises the need for passengers to make regular checks on airline websites to verify the status of their flights.

Having just checked a barometric pressure chart I'm a bit worried about my flight on Tuesday! There's a high pressure system over Iceland and if it moves south and east a bit (which it normally would!) then the problem will get a lot worse and may shut down northern england and even the Transatlantic corridors. Worst case would be Sunday/Monday. The good news (assuming that you're not on holiday in the UK or northern Europe in the next 10 days) is that this sytem is being closely followed by a nasty storm front and depression which should hold the ash away.
The high density area of the volcanic ash cloud is now located over the Atlantic, allowing latest restrictions to be lifted as there is currently no encroachment on UK or Irish airspace. However, there is a warning from the Irish Aviation Authority that transatlantic services to and from the USA could be impacted or delayed over the next 24 hours, due to airlines having to fly longer routes to avoid the ash cloud.

Looking forward to flying out from Bristol on Sunday to the Canaries. Never doubted it for a moment ;)
I see Ryanair have cancelled all flights going through Spanish airspace today (Saturday) - including those heading for the Canaries.

Chris
for more info on Ryanair flights affected click here
:duh Bad news today for any travellers to Spain and Portugal- I'm afraid there are loads of flights cancelled from all major uk airports :(
Odd that most airlines (except Ryanair) are still flying the majority of their flights to most spanish destinations today. Previously it was the other airlines that cancelled all of their flights and it was Ryanair that tried to get as many of their flights up as possible.

Chris
Some of the earlier EasyJet flights between Gatwick and Faro (both directions) are cancelled. Keeping a close eye on it as my son is due to fly out this evening.
does anyone know if flights to/from the canaries are affected by the latest erruption?

thanks,
nick
Anybody know what the chances are of flights being cancled from birmingham to turkey tomorrow... feeling sick with worry! :(
My son is due to fly home today with ryanair from Palma to East midlands. I'm trying to contact Ryanair with great difficulty, anybody have a number i may be able to get through to them on. I have transferred his flight untill tomorrow, but they havn't emailed me confirmation for him to print off. will he be able to check in with his confirmation for today as the booking reference is the same.

He is also being advised by reps in the hotel to go to the airport anyway, even though his flight has been cancelled. As Ryanair have cancelled all flights anyway, won't this be a waste of time and money( of which he has very little).

Thanks

Maxine
If the reference number hasn't changed (and that seems reasonable) then he ought to be able to get in to his bookings and see the new flight, and then checkin online as normal. The only possible problem I can see is if he had already checked in and printed his boarding pass for the original flight - some airlines had technical problems with transfers last time when passengers had already checked in. But if you reckon the transfer has worked he should be OK. At this late stage if the reference is unchanged the missing email isn't worth worrying about (probably a spam filter issue) because it's the boarding pass he needs.
MONARCH

Flights - Possible flight delays due volcanic ash cloud - 08 May 10
  • Edited by Dazbo HT Mod 2010-05-08 13:56:14
    Replaced pasted text with link to Monarchs website for copyright reasons
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.