Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Thank god for that. My mind is now more at ease as we, like thousands of other people and family's alike have young children in our group.

My heart truly goes out to those currently effected.

:cry
If you've booked DIY like I did then you do have to unfortunately fend for yourself.
I was in Tenerife when I heard Glasgow and Irish Airports was shut,we weren't due to fly out til the Friday so we were lucky and got home to Glasgow that day but on the day of closure we met couples and families who had returned to the hotel to book in again at their own cost after being sent away from the airport with only a letter that only told them their flight was cancelled due to volcanic ash,these people weren't even aware of the situation til they got to the airport.
I'm don't know if they were offered any form of compensation afterwards or if they could claim back any money spent but what if they had no money left to pay for an extra couple of nights?The lack of information for those booking flights only was appalling.
I was extremely lucky as I was travelling myself with a young child and wouldn't have known were to turn if things had went pear shaped for us,as I said we were DIY and had 50euros left the day we went home.
If you have booked DIY,please keep money by just in case or have someone back home who can send you some funds and keep all your receipts so you can try to claim back any money you have spent on food and accommodation.
A huge saving booking independantly could end up costing a fortune,so please everyone be prepared.
If you make it on your hols,hope you have a fab time and return safely and a speedy return for those currently affected.Take care xx
kwikslipgirl,

A lot can happen between now and 19th June,I wouldn't worry about things just yet! Flights are currently operating as normal.

Darren
The situation seems to be changing daily so I think it is impossilbe to know what the situation will be tomorrow never mind next month. I fly next Wednesday but I will just be keeping an eye on the news daily and see what happens.
Thats all you can do instead of people worrying about it.
At the end of the day if you have booked a package hol and you need to cancel, you will get your money back, so everyone stop worrying :wave:
have there been any stories of it affecting Malta at all? ( obviously other than when the whole of UK airspace was grounded and nowt could go in or out).
We are due to fly to Luqa next week and are now getting somewhat concerned at the drift across Europe....

Many thanks.
Justval,

There are curently no restrictions around Malta.

Darren
has anyone any information on fuertenventura? my son has just phoned to say the airport is closed today. he and his girlfriend are flying home thursday to bournemouth with ryan air. they dont have a holiday rep so he's asked me to keep them informed of any news.
thanks
bushbaby,

Fuertenventura is currently closed for flights. The best thing is to check Ryanairs website for latest information. They're quoting no flights to the Canaries up until midnight, but this could extend to Wednesday or beyond depending on the weather and ash situation.

Darren
I have just read that some flights to Turkey have been cancelled :-(
UK & Irish air safety rules eased

Safety rules governing flights in UK & Irish airspace have been eased, by the lifting of the 60 mile no-fly buffer zone which was imposed around dense volcanic ash ... click here for more details.

David :wave
Hi

Can someone please help. We are currently in Cuba due to fly out today to gatwick but our flight has been delayed. No one here seems to be getting any information from england on when we re leaving.

Can you help? Thomas Cook TCX 71L Holguin to Gatwick was due to depat 19.10hrs cuba time but been told delay till 04.15hrs cuba time. However just called Thomas Coo who don't really know but looked on Gatwick Airport website who say the flight leaving to collect us left at 20.36hrs english time. However there have been rumours of flyng via Canada.

If anyone can advise please????

thank you in advance!

Wantaholiday x
wantaholiday,

G-OMYT is on it's way to get you. It departed at 2037. It's just a delayed flight as far as I can see.

Darren
Thank your lucky stars that you r not in the USA with all the tornadoes. That is more heart breaking than this!
Darren, thanks for the info..we will just check on a daily basis. :tup
Mate of mine was due to fly back to Exeter (Thomson Flight) last night TUES 11/05 at 9pm but did not fly, and now being told might not get back til Friday.
I am travelling on 1 July from Aberdeen with Thomson on a package holiday. Question: if problems still happening and Aberdeen flight cancelled or airport closes and they offer to bus to Glasgow or Edinburgh 3 hour bus journey, do we have to accept that?. Reason booked Aberdeen is for convience, travelling 3 hours just to get to an airport is not an option I would ever do. In that driving time you can be in Majorca!

Just heard from a story today about a couple who had travelled all the way from North of Aberdeen on a planned trip from Glasgow airport and they got there, onto the plane and they got stuck on the run way for 3.5 hours and then told the airspace closed and there trip whole trip cancelled and had to unload of plan and drive all the way back to Aberdeen.
There isn't much than can be done in those situations, if they were on the plane then they obviously didn't know until the last minute it wasn't safe to fly. They aren't cancelling flights for fun, I think we have to remember it is a safety thing. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.