Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Not good news but like all of you I just have to hope that bt Saturday we may be able to get away. With the last April when I could not fly and then the BA strike having new flights I feel a great sense of GLOOM but no point in worrying as nothing I can do.
My friend who is in Dublin due to fly back into Leeds at 13.00 has had her flight cancelled. She has gone for the Ferry to Holyhead but the 14.30 crossing was fully booked even for foot passengers. She now leaves at 20.55 getting into H/Head at 00.05 and will get a train at 6am to Leeds. Trying to get her to book something like Travellodge and get a later train to Leeds. Don't like the thought of her being stranded alone during the night.

Sue
There is a travel lodge in Holyhead, not too far from the port. Telephone Tel: 0871 984 6342*
Fax: 01407 761302
We have recently had to cancel our planned holiday to Mexico due to TC playing about with their aircraft configuration , luckily we got our money back.

We are now looking to book another holiday but I am so worried that we will book and still not manage to get away because of the Ash Cloud, my husband wants to wait until a week or two before we want to go and see whats happening then, I on the otherhand want a certain hotel and it will then mean taking a chance on it still being available.

So do we book now or book late, or book at all? Its a lot of money to part with only to be cancelled as so many have already had.

What is the current situation with airlines/tour operators refunding in full if you cant travel?

K
I don't think I'd take a chance on booking now to be honest. I'd rather wait until the situation is more stable.
Glasgow is still opened.....................fly on Wednesday.........................Im checking the airport and airline every hour :rofl
I'd book the hotel you want. You've got no control over the ash. Booking a week or so before won't guarantee the ash won't affect you're holidays. I booked a flight and half an hour later it was cancelled due to the ash cloud. If you book through a tour op you've given yourself the maximum amount of protection you are going to get in this situation. Things may not be stable for months, if you want a holiday in the next few months you just have to take a chance that you won't face any disruption.
Northern airspace to reopen from 0100 hope it stays open. I want my holidays!
UK airports expected to be closed during the period 1am to 7am on Monday 17 May include Heathrow, Gatwick, London City, Aberdeen, Belfast International, Belfast City and City of Derry.

Just as those airports close, restrictions are expected to be lifted at some other airports in Scotland and Northern England. However, although Prestwick for example is expected to re-open at 1am Monday, normal flight operations are not expected to resume for a further 12 hours. An open airport and open airspace therefore does not necessarily guarantee an operating flight, hence the need to check with your airline.

In the Irish Republic, Dublin Airport remains closed until at least 12 noon Monday. Sligo, Donegal and Knock are closed but expected to re-open between 6am and 9am.

Ryanair appears to have cancelled lots of flights tomorrow, including some from airports not currently listed amongst the expected closures. This might be the knock on effect of earlier problems or in anticipation of later problems. However, it highlights the importance once again of passengers checking airline websites rather than airport or media websites.

David :wave
Friend was due to return from cyprus today been on a weekend stag do, as been told it will be wed before he can return, he should be returning next friday as best man at another wedding, think he would be better staying and getting his clothes sent over with the wedding party if they can fly, luckily they can keep the apartment till wed but he as no money or clothes, his dad as wired him some today
I think the most important in booking a holiday is the insurance cover. If you already have had your travel insurance prior to the ASH problem then most insurance companies will pay out.
If not they won't cover the ASH as it is an already known risk.
That leaves you back with the Airline who if EU will pay out on the cancellation of the flight. If you bought everything as a package then yes in most cases the you would get costs back.
I was caught up in the April situation and was unable to fly.
I am going on a cruise and everything was booked with the Cruise Company with BA flight that they booked for us.
I was able to get all the money back or book another cruise. I did this paying a bit more and now we have the BA situation and the return of the dreaded ASH.
My flight with BA is cancelled but they have transferred me on to a direct AA flight for the date I was due to travel.
In the event of the BA strike being cancelled and that could well happen to day I will have the choice of transferring back to the BA.
I don't think anyone can advise about the ASH not even the experts. You have to weigh up what you want and whether you would be prepared to settle for another hotel.
You say that you cancelled your other holiday due to the configuration of the Aircraft.
There is no guarantee that this Aircraft could change. I was on a 747 and now with AA a 777. Am I concerned not a bit just glad to be able to get away. DV

Sue
It's the thousands of children I feel so sorry for. It's all very well Adults being blasa about it or simply saying 'dont worry' but most kids look forwards to the school summer holidays for several months ahead. I can only speak from my own memories here but once we booked a holiday which was usually in mid-Winter,my 4 kids use to mark the calender down right up to the day of departure in August !

School Holidays are still some way off, but in the event thing do go wrong just how do you explain the trip is off to your kids on the very day you have all looked forwards to for months ? :cry

Fingers crossed for everyone concerned.
Thanks Rotterdam

I understand exactly where you are coming from. I little story about children and holidays. My youngest Brother who by this time was a single Father and he had sole custody of the children.
I think at this time they 14 12 7 & 5. Booked 3 weeks in Orlando. He was actually born in Ireland and had never travelled other in the UK.
TA booked the flights and when arrived at Manchester Airport he needed a Visa at that time for entry into the US. This was Saturday!
He drove back to North Wales with a lot of whimpering from the back seat and he just was devasted. He went to LOndon on the Sunday night Sat day at the American Embassy got the Visa'a Drove home and on the Tuesday went back to Manchester. The flight was full but Delta put them in Business Class.
He had booked a Villa which he had to move out of and got the 3 nights in a Hotel before flying home.
Asded the 7 year old what was the best thing about the holiday and he immediately said OH The model aircraft from DELTA so kids are just kids.
My brother did a great job in very difficult circumstances and was shattered by the time he got on the flight. He had a Nanny at that time and she stayed over whilst he was away.

In the end a good result.
I have just had a call from my Friend who was stuck in Ireland yesterday She is shattered. Got on the Ferry at 20.55 there were more than 5000 on it. When they arrived in Holyhead there were over 5000 waiting to board for the return journey.
She then waited for a train and it also was packed 04.00 had to change at Chester then Manchester Leeds and now will be back in Harrogate soon. She just called me. She said oh I met some lovely interesting people and other than being cold she was fine. Went to the ladies and put a second skirt on! She is 78 years old!! People were very kind to her and she got a seat etc.

Sue
The situation appears to have eased within the last hour. Restrictions are currently lifted at most major UK airports, the exceptions being Belfast City, City of Derry, Shetland and Orkney.

In the Republic of Ireland, Dublin and most other airports are now open, the one exception being Donegal which is expected to reopen at 2pm.

However, delays or cancellations are still likely and of course everyone is still warning of the fluid / changeable / unpredictable nature of the situation, advising that further disruption is possible.

Just back from Belfast international airport, was hoping to flyto Turkey, but flight has been delayed until tomorrow, lucky we live 10 mins away.
So fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Clifford
it looks like long delays from bristol on a lot of flights.
Good luck to all those flying in the next few days
i'm traveling on monday with my 5 kids i'm just hoping and keeping my fingers crossed. :)
me too tina we fly from east mids on monday evening to turkey

fingers crossed for us all in need of some :sun2
New measures introduced to reduce airspace closures

New measures intended to reduce airspace closures caused by volcanic ash have been agreed this evening between the CAA and the aviation industry, effective from 12 noon tomorrow.

Click here for more info.

we're flying to dalaman from belfast next monday.....fingers and toes crossed we get there and get home safely and on time!!! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.