Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I'm panicing now, due to fly on sat 5th June 2010, hope the big rock keeps still and quiet!
bbc website says that there is no activity and that an expert has said that he thinks the eruption is over. both volcanoes are reported to be quiet. not sure why everyone is panicing still at the moment as this is the latest news and all of the 'travel update/volcano update' buttons on travel company websites have been removed- theyre obviously standing down from total panic. my last holiday was ruined due to the April eruption, but i'm fairly relaxed about the fact that my holiday next week will go ahead fine. chill everyone!
Easyjet to pioneer ash cloud detector

Easyjet is to trial in-plane technology that will detect ash clouds and allow pilots to fly round them.

The ash radar is known as AVOID (Airbourne Volcanic Identifier and Detector) and could spell an end to the chaos caused by Eyjafjallajokull's glacier.

The airline is the first to use the technology which works like a weather radar and uses infra red technology to send pictures to pilots and flight control centres which allow them to see an ash cloud 62 miles ahead.

The technology, invented by Dr Fred Prata of the Norwegian Institute for Air Research, will mean that huge areas of air space shut down during times when ash clouds have been spotted would now be opened up for flying.

EasyJet chief executive Andy Harrison said: "This pioneering technology is the silver bullet that will make large-scale ash disruption history.

"The ash detector will enable our aircraft to see and avoid the ash cloud, just like airborne weather radars and weather maps make thunderstorms visible."

This week airlines have been calling for the new government to compensate them over lost earnings during the ash cloud crisis, claiming mishandling of the situation by the CAA.

With permission from Travelmole
Scarcely see it mentioned in the media now. Was all a load of baloney. Global warming, volcanic eruptions, wonder what the next panic will be. :rofl
jacky wrote:
Scarcely see it mentioned in the media now

That's the media for you, it's called the issue attention cycle. There's still a threat, it's just not headline news at the moment.

Darren
There's a programme on Channel Five tonight (Tue 8th June) at 8pm called Volcanic Ash: The Ticking Timebomb. Its looking at the potential consequences of a second Icelandic Volcano (Katia) erupting. Might be worth watching.

Best Regards - Taggy
il give that a miss Taggy i am commin out to beni next friday 18th and i dont want no sleepless nights :D :D :D
Watched it...." We're all DOOMED!!!" :rofl

Best Regards - Taggy
Dont we know about it we were stuck in Rhodes for an extra week it was a nightmare :)
Does any one know what the blinkin volcanoe is doing at the moment ? is it still active with dust clouds or has it calmed down??
It's always the same with the new's, after a while they get fed up of reporting what they
class as old stories! So guess unless something big happens, it will not be mentioned again...

Can only hope with that volcano its not a lull before the storm as the saying goes...

At least the ones on lanzarote are quiet for a minute! with 160+ plus do not
want anything to happen here!

Keith
calmed down but still "active". There are still earhquakes but not at the moment actively erupting
Oh no I am going to Rhodes hopefully next week! Though all of the ash cloud problems had cleared up and the red alert was over! I will check with my tour operator before I book the tickets.

SPENCER FARLEY
SPENCER welcome to HT

calm down and stop worrying the latest overlay only shows a small cloud to the east of Iceland heading towards northern Norway and Sweden, and not showing as very dense either

wizard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.