Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
we fly to dalaman from manchester 2wks from today kecking it with all this disruption :banghead:
Sue

sorry to hear about all your troubles with the BA flights, and yes your right its all down to holiday insurance, and luck with the ash

I didnt go into depth re the cancelled holiday and re configured plane, so I can see why your saying about it being changed and just being happy about getting away under normal circumstances we would have said that too, but there were other factors that greatly affected us doing 11 hour flight without the pitch seat we needed and the change of plane had been made prior to booking and was wrongly sold as being one with 35" as opposed to 29" the tour operator failed to inform us on booking so we had a choice of either going along with the smaller pitch or getting a full refund and finding something else,

we chose to get our money back as we had lost faith in the tour operator, that leaves us now to decide whether to take a chance on booking and getting away without the ash cloud disrupting things or simply staying put until it is more stable, whenever that may be

As someone else has pointed out its the kids you have to consider, our girls our in their teens and one is just finishing all of her GCSE's and a diploma and really could do with the relaxtion after all of the exam stress so I think we will probably just take the chance and make sure whoever we book with has a good action plan in place should something goes wrong
hi nikki

what times your flight we go 1855
Good news for me re Flybe since I use them twice a week. Hope fully the last of the cancellations - five was enough.
Sonicboom

I understand what you are saying. 34" is a great and 29" just too neat for a long journey. However that said you won't find many Airlines with a 34" seat pitch in economy. Yes if is a charter and there were the old business class eg Economy plus the seat pitch is I think 37"?
Ba and many the seat pitch is 31" American 777 seat pitch is 32" and so on. But some of their aircraft have got a 34" pitch.
You only have to bring up on line and find all the info. Do you have a guarantee that if you rebook you will without question have that 35"

Maybe the way forward is too find an Airline and then see if they will book that seat for you. 2008 I went out to NZ and OZ. Celebrity Cruises were only able to offer me BA or Qantas and some other Airlines. I wanted to fly Singapore Airlines as I only wanted one change. This took me to Singapore and then direct to Auckland cruise ending in Sydney and I flew back from Perth.
Celebrity could not book me on SA as they didn't have a contract with them. BA/Qantas meant I would have to fly from Manchester Heathrow to Singapore then to Sydney and then Auckland.
I was able to fly from Manchester direct to SIA and then Auck.

I know your situation is different and that with the current situation with the ASH we really need to on a complete package so if one thing falls down we will be able to recover the costs.

Good luck I can't offer any advice only you can make that decision but in the meantime you could do a bit of research.

Sue
There was an article in the Guardian last week which said any new holiday bookings ASH will not be covered by travel insurance. (not that many were covering it anyway!)

According to SKY this morning, new rules for aircraft flying through ASH make it unlikely that there will be many shut downs in the future :really
Relief for airlines over new ash operating rules

New measures to reduce airspace closures caused by volcanic ash are expected to be introduced from midday today (Tuesday).

The move comes from the Civil Aviation Authority following talks with airlines, regulators, and aircraft and engine manufacturers.

A new area of operations is being introduced that creates a ‘Time Limited Zone (TLZ)' between the black ‘No Fly Zone (NFZ)' and the red ‘Enhanced Procedures Zone (EPZ)'.

This means that areas of airspace that would have previously been closed can safely open, further minimising flight disruption.

Aircraft and engine manufacturers, based on new research and analysis, have agreed that it is safe to allow operations in the new zone for a limited time at higher ash densities than is currently permitted, the CAA said.

To operate in the new zone airlines need to present the CAA with a safety case that includes the agreement of their aircraft and engine manufacturers.

Flybe is the first to achieve this and will be able to use the new zone from midday.

CAA chief executive Andrew Haines said: "I'm pleased that the huge efforts we're all making across aviation to keep flying safe whilst minimising the disruption from the volcano have resulted in further progress.

"Unprecedented situations require new measures and the challenge faced should not be underestimated.

"Firstly, because the standard default procedure for aircraft that encounter ash, to avoid it completely, doesn't work in our congested airspace.

"Secondly, the world's top scientists tell us that we must not simply assume the effects of this volcano will be the same as others elsewhere. Its proximity to the UK, the length of time it is continuously erupting and the weather patterns are all exceptional features.

"The answer can only come, therefore, from aircraft and engine manufacturers establishing what level of ash their products can safely tolerate.

"At an international aviation conference we held last Thursday, attended by all the leading airline operators this approach was welcomed and supported.

"The manufacturers are co-operating fully and urgently in this task and the new zone is an excellent example of how the industry should be working to move the issue forward and I commend Flybe for its work.

"It's the CAA's job to ensure the public is kept safe by ensuring safety decisions are based on scientific and engineering evidence; we will not listen to those who effectively say 'let's suck it and see."

The new regulations mean that during the last two days, when Flybe had to cancel 380 flights under the previous rules, it would have had to cancel only 21. This would mean that less than three per cent of its total programme would have been affected.

Flybe chief executive Jim French said: "The CAA called upon the industry to bring forward thoroughly researched proposals to safely improve the ability to fly in the vicinity of low level volcanic ash concentrations.

"Flybe's overriding concern is always safety, and these new rules arise from a proven process of safety management within the company and the industry which helps make air travel the safest form of public transport.

"The application of these new rules in the last 48 hours would have reduced our levels of cancellation from 380 flights to 21, or put another way, only 3% of our programme would have been affected. This level of cancellation would be more akin to a weather event and therefore much more bearable for customers and the industry.

"We thank the CAA and Met Office for their support in this work and look forward to working with them further to get the UK safely back on the move. I hope with these measures that consumers can once again feel confident in booking air travel."

EasyJet welcomed the announcement and said: "The CAA has been pivotal in facilitating this improvement whilst maintaining the focus on passenger safety."

With permission from Travelmole
hi there
hope somone can help
been trying for days on end to contact first choice re ash
sent email to get automated reply saying they will reply within 28 days :cry
thing is i am now worried about this ash
due to fly out in july say for instance we dont get
who is liable for the 4 grand of hard earned and saved cash we paid for our hols
panicking here as this ash is an act of god and insurance wont pay up
thanks
bestfriend22uk,

Your holiday is way too far away to worry about the ash. The situation changes daily so I wouldn't worry just yet! As you'll see from posts above, research has now shown ash causes less damage to aircraft that originally thought so the rules have been relaxed which means less flights will be grounded. If anything happens, the tour operator will look after you if you're in-resort or if flights are grounded before you go, you'll be given the option of canceling, rebooking or taking a later flight if possible.

Darren
ok thanks so much
was just worried they woudnt refund if they coudnt fly me
but seems they can thats great thanks
I am packed up and ready for our taxi to Heathrow tomorrow 1pm. Staying at the Radisson and DV this time we will get away!
Flying out with AA instead of BA but the bottom line is it makes no difference. It has been a challenge with the BA strike and the dreaded ash!

To all those with planned holidays hope you all get away and have a fantastic time.
Thanks Darren for all your help with great info.

Sue
A rapid decrease in volcanic activity over the last 24 hours is leading volcanologists in Iceland to speculate that the eruption may be very close to an end.

Fingers crossed !

David :wave
David when I saw you'd posted something new in this thread, I was having visions of bad news - Just when my son's arrived out in Cancun.

A rapid decrease in volcanic activity over the last 24 hours is leading volcanologists in Iceland to speculate that the eruption may be very close to an end.

Fingers crossed !

Hallelujah to that ;)
last time it died down didn't it just get worse again?
any seismic activity from Katla though?
Eyjafjallajokull is not currently causing problems to aviation, but some scientists continue to express serious concern that the larger Katia volcano could be close to eruption.

Within the last couple of days, Iceland's president has warned European governments and the aviation industry to start preparing for an eventual eruption of Katla.

David :wave
Well that's not to good due to go away in two weeks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.