Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Grimsvotn volcano is one of Iceland's regular performers! You can track the ash cloud on http://www.radarvirtuel.com. No disruption as yet, and KEF remains open.
OMG trust something like this to happen two days before my first holiday in years! I'm flying from glasgow to palma on tuesday morning, what's the chance of my flight being affected?
Very Slim I would think
enjoy your holiday
:cheers
Sky news have changed their stance already, this morning they were reporting no disruption to UK flights was expected....and now they are saying:

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Article/201105115996978

Brilliant....i'm meant to be flying to Corfu next Monday :cry
  • Edited by David 2011-05-22 20:41:18
    Post edited for copyright reasons. Link inserted to replace quoted text.
Could doesn't mean it definately will, it all depends on the winds and the size of the ash particle.
KEF has now closed. Reports are this is a denser ash so will likely not carry far in the air as the ash from Eyjafjyajokull.
There has also been advances in what is known in regards to egine ash tolerance limits and cooperation between countries in the 13 months since Eyjafjyajokull erupted last year.
I'm keeping my eye on this news article as my son's flying to Teneriffe from Bristol on Thursday morning. This time last year he was worrying about his Mexican holiday as all the flight disruptions occured. He did get off ok then so is crossing his fingers he'll be just as lucky this time.

Daybreak news 10 mins ago said meteorologists are keeping their eye on the winds to see which way the ash will be blown.
The ash cloud may hit parts of the UK tomorrow (Tuesday) however that doesn't mean that airports will have to close or the disruption will be anything like the scale seen last year, a lot has been learned from the last time so we will just have to wait and see how bad it is :que

SKY NEWS

BBC NEWS
Airlines on new ash alert

Ash from the latest volcanic explosion in Iceland is expected to reach Scotland by tomorrow morning and drift across the rest of the UK later in the week, but authorities say they are not expecting it to disrupt flights.

Icelandic authorities closed the country's international airport on Sunday following an eruption of the Grimsvotn volcano which was described as "bigger and more intensive" than the Eyjafjallajokull eruption that led more than 63,000 flights being grounded April last year.

However, authorities say the latest eruption is not likely to cause as much disruption as there is little wind to spread the ash. Also, as it is coarser than the Eyjafjallajokull ash, it is falling back to the ground quicker rather than floating long distances.

Eurocontrol, Europe's air traffic control organisation, said airlines were being kept informed of the situation but it was not expecting the eruption to have any impact on European or transatlantic flights, at least for the rest of today.

The Civil Aviation Authority said it was monitoring the situation and working closely with colleagues at NATS (UK air traffic control) and the Met Office to ascertain where the ash clouds are heading.

"We will be discussing matters with UK airlines during the course of the day and updating the travelling public on the situation," said a spokesman.

"We do not envisage the same kind of blanket closures of airspace we experienced last year. Airlines will be able to operate in lower concentrations of ash providing they can present us with a safety case."

With permission from Travelmole
The latest info from NATS can be found here. Last updated at 15.15 with another update to follow at 21.00

http://www.nats.co.uk/grimsvotn-updates/
Loganair have preemptively cancelled all flights tommorow morning.

Given the extremely high winds that we are experiencing on the east coast of Scotland at the moment, I can't imagine that anybody is going anywhere today from the airports that Loganair serves either! I'm hoping that my new garden arbor and swing seat (only put up on Friday!) has only been blown over as opposed to smashed up but given that there are tree branches coming down as well I have no intention of going outside to check until the wind subsides. And I doubt that the peas etc will recover given that all the canes are now lying on the ground! :cry

SM
Can someone post the link to the update that NATS will post tonight? Keeping an eye on the situation at the moment, i really hope we're able to fly at 8am! Does anyone honestly think airspace will be closed?!
Hammond promises no blanket flight ban due to ash

Transport secretary Philip Hammond has said there will be "no crude nationwide ban" on flights, even if ash from Iceland's latest volcanic eruption reaches the UK.

Fall-out from the Grimsvotn volcano is drifting towards Scotland and it is expected to reach the country later this evening or early tomorrow morning, but Hammond said this would not lead to a blanket ban on flying.

Lessons have been learned from the volcanic eruption in April last year, which led to more than 63,000 flights being grounded when northern European airspace was shut down for six days.

In particular, airlines know more now about what levels of ash pose a safety risk to flights. Hammond said the current situation was being closely monitored and he said that if ash was detected over the UK, individual airlines would have to present evidence to the Civil Aviation Authority that they could continue to fly safely.

Dr Dave McGarvie of the Open University said that although the Grimsvotn eruption is at least 10 times more powerful than the eruption last year of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano, it does not pose as big a threat to flights.

This is because the ash is not as fine, it is falling back to earth quicker and the winds are carrying the ash northwards rather than blowing it over the UK, as happened last year.

However, he said some of the ash was predicted to be heading towards the UK and he said airlines would have to take into account a "small additional risk".

Rules about flying have changed since Eyjafjallajokull, he said, which mean that airlines can now fly when ash is present but within very safe limits. "The net effect will be considerably less disruption," he added.

Airline cancels flights due to ash fears

Loganair has cancelled almost all its flights in Scotland on Tueday morning because of expected disruption caused by the ash cloud heading to the UK from Iceland's exploding volcano.

An airline spokesman said information issued by the Met Office indicated a high density of ash would be present in large parts of Scottish airspace by tomorrow.

As a result, the airline has cancelled all services with the exception of inter-island flights in Orkney. All other flights due to depart between 06:00 and 13:00hrs tomorrow have been cancelled.

Loganair has laid on additional flights this evening to assist passengers due to travel tomorrow, which will be available on a first come, first served basis.

Further information on flights tomorrow afternoon will be available later this evening on the airline's website, once the Met Office has published its forecasts.

The Met Office said there was a possibility ash will move across the UK towards the end of the week, but a spokesman said the weather was more changeable than during last year's volcanic eruption, making the situation less predictable.

The Civil Aviation Authority will grade ash levels as low, medium or high and airlines will be notified if levels reach medium or high. Airlines will then consider whether to fly, according to risk assessments already carried out, said the CAA.

Icelandic air traffic control has created a no-fly zone around the volcano and cancelled all domestic flights. The country's main international airport, Keflavik airport near the capital Reykjavik, has been closed.

Iceland's aviation authority said the airport might open again later today or overnight.

Iceland has been badly affected by the current eruption, with ash falling across the country including Reykjavik. Tourists have been evacuated from the country's main national parks.

Flights from glasgow to amsterdam now showing as "contact airline" on the online departures board, but malaga isn't :que I keep checking the thing every 5 minutes for our flight at 8am to appear lol!
In addition to Loganair, Eastern Airways have also now issued a significant list of cancellations for tomorrow:
http://www.easternairways.com/home/ash-cloud-information

David :wave
KLM and Air France (CityJet) are now starting to cancel.
Not even Air Force One is immune. US President Barack Obama was due to fly from Dublin to London on Tuesday morning, but the departure has now been brought forward to this evening due to concerns over the volcanic ash cloud forecast for tomorrow.

David :wave
Have been reading a thomas cook support forum and they said they will coach us down from glasgow to manchester for our flight to palma! Any idea how long it would take from glasgow to manchester by bus??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.