EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
You are probably going to have to go to the water and electric places in person to get these sorted when you get there. You will need your Tapu/residency permit as proof of ownership and take the readings with you and if you can find someone to walk you through it all the better. There is a small charge for changing them over to a new owner. I am surprised they arent going to do this, did you have an agent who can help you sort it out or did you buy direct from builder and if so what did your contract say about this?? As an agent I would always make sure these thing are done for my clients and would ask you to follow up this post for the benefit of those that follow you into buying property- its all these little things people need info on. I hope you get it all sorted quickly and without too much stress.
Bryn, is it true that before you connect utilities you need a ruhsat, or living license. This is the final check from the Belediye that all your works are correct and they can pass your new building and list what it is...ie house, shop or hotel etc. It is very difficult to do this from the UK. If you had an agent then as Bryn said it should be part of the service. If you had a lawyer acting on your behalf then he should do it, especially if he had power of attourney. I am not in Bodrum area so can't physically help. Is there anyone out there that can?
Habitation certificate is needed for connection to services.
This should have been provided by builder.
You should always insist that this is provided as you will need it also when you come to sell the property.
Chelsea boy the habitation certificate or "Ferdi iskan" is essential for this and should be provided by the builder as Mibut says. Believe it or not the guy that sold me this place I am living in tried to tell me that it wasnt important so I insisted that it was done before we bought and then he told me hed done it a few days later so I went to the Belediye to check and guess what!! it wasnt done. So he then had to go back and get it done then I had to check it was done I took a few days to go back and check because I knew he was really desperate for the money Just to teach him a lesson. :lol: :lol:
Hi Couch Potato

Sorry to hear about your problems with the water and electric.

We thought we were going to be in a bit of a mess also.

Our complex at Gumsan takes the water off between 11am and 6pm so now everyone is fitting water storage tanks!!

Now they have started to cut off the electric on the odd day too!!!

Ah well!!! trials and tribulations :oops: :evil: :(
thanks to all for your replies,Bryn we bought from a building/estate company,and it was in the contract that they would take us to the various companies to sort it out,there were a few other things in the contract which they seem to have forgotten about,eg marble worktops,different coloured tiles,and upping what we had to pay,the contract to them is only one sided.
C.P.
I am sorry to hear that they are doing this to you, first if you havent paid all the dosh yet hold on to the rest as you have a bargaining chip. However if its too late I hope there are people out there reading this who can volunteer their help for you. I hope it all sorts itself out in the end and you can look back and say it was worth it. Further if you have factual and indesputable evidence on this dont be afraid to let others know :wink: this will help get rid of the bad practices out here.
Remember that you can still consult a lawyer.
Don't take the builders lack of action to mean that you cannot do anything.
The company we bought from have been told they will be named and shamed,they have about 60 other new builds to sell,mainly to the British and Irish market,but unless they sort me out they will have a problem.
C.P.
Hi there Couch Potato. I live in Bodrum and my husband is Turkish. We have just built a house here so my husband has a good idea of water and electric utilities. If we can help, we would certainly be happy to. Just pm me if you feel we could sort anything out for you.

Jill Tiryaki
Again thanks for all the replies,the company we bought from said it will take 3 to 4 months for the habitation certificate to come through,I got this from my lawyer,who didn't seem overly concerned,should I be.
C.P.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.