Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Ctudor, I want to go tomorrow you make it sound wonderful. Apart from the cost I wouldnt be interested in eating out everynight for 14 nights with four kids. There are times it can be quite stressfull to go to restaurant.

At least you have the first day at work done that is the hardest one. Remember only 50 weeks to your next holiday.
gotta agree with lucy,came back bout 11pm sat nite gatwick so prob on same flight as many of you,and found hotel fantastic.Great rooms,fantastic pools(indoor and outdoor)food ok,not a la carte but with 2 teenage boys very good,steaks,burgers,Italian,burgers.
Staff excellent,sometimes too few staff on for amount of customers in bar/food area but your on holiday so why rush 8)
Taxi into town under 4 euros so def. worth doing and reception will ring taxi for 60 cents(40p)
Reps entertainment is a personal choice in hotels so im not gonna knock it,some good some bad,but must say the Reps were most amiable and approachable
Old town bettet for quiet life,Strip for clubs and bars and me singing "Bubbles" last Monday in Coconuts with several others :oops:
Downside-shop onsite closed early 1900-1930
Faro Airport-if i go again i would book a taxi for homeward bound flight to beat the crowds as I think we had 3 passport checks and the q"s were awful,maybe worth checkin in b4 the crowds arrive.
no time 4 a wee yet alone a drink/snack or shopping(mrs never got her fags airport that busy)
great holiday enjoyed my first visit :D
Keep the good reviews coming they are all great and are keeping me going until we get to go.
Hi all, my parents have just returned from staying in a hotel 200 yards from alto de colina - they took a visit and took some pics - looks lovely, this has made the kids really excitied and really looking forward to going :D !!!!!
just one more question before i go is there a problem with mosquitos at all as i swear i have a tattoo on me somewhere that says eat here!!!!

cheers ps 4 weeks and counting.
Duch, we went to Mojacar last year and before we went we were told that the Mossies were a huge problem. I went to Boots and their Soltan range of sun creams and aftersun can be bought with an insect repellant. You will see a picture of an insect on the front of the bottle. Some have the repellant and some dont so just make sure to get the proper one. And it did the trick there were people around us being attacked and didnt come near us. Hope this helps. :lol:
not one bite in our family and was not aware of anyone complaining of them

Clayton
Just for any one that is interested there are two new reviews about these apartments left on the holidays uncovered website.

Go to http://www.holidays-uncovered.co.uk and click on Albufeira A-C and you will find it under Alto do Colina. Hope this helps. :lol:
Hi,
Thought you might like to know that there are also reviews of the Alto Da Colina on Tripadvisor.com - all good!
Just arrived back yesterday complex very good rooms big with all you need including hairdryer pool is cold but welcome enough to do during day with foorball darts, bouloes etc, snack bar is fine and good service , the bar for drinks is slow and they have just put their prices up by quite a bit for high season, a can of cola in the onsite shop is only 60 cents a lot cheaper than the bar also it is now 1Euro for the hotel to phone a taxi for you and some taxis have put their prices up,it is a good walk in to the strip but we often had a drink at the Coyote bar and walked up the road at that roundabout then turned left half way up, also the Coyote bar do a fabulous English breakfast all day for just 2.50 Euros a bargain.
There are lots of beaches if you are prepared to explore i agree with someone who said dont go through the Alfagar to get to the beach unless you want to go down some steep steps, just walk further on and there is a sign to ST Eulia that will take you to the beach and if you walk left at low tide in the morning there is a small cliff walk to other beaches.
The weather was very hot 35-40 while we were there although being at the top of a hill some days and nights were very windy making it feel colder.
most triups you can get cheaper on ths strip, they are very well organised and pick up at the same place as the organised trips which is on the main road at the bus stop, the trip to the market is an lot cheaper if you book with reception and it picks you up at the hotel. we did trips to Zoo marine where my daughter and grandson swam with dolphins, also went to the market and slide and splash.
Reception staff are very good and very helpful.
I would advise purchasing your remote for the air conditioning you have to put a deposit but this is money you can use on your last day when you return it, wish i was still there, have to go back to work now . :D
Just wondering from anyone who who was at the Alto Do Colina what was the sun bed rush like in the morning. Did it start early or was the pool area closed until a certain time.
Just got back from Alto de Colina on Saturday - first day back at work and very depressed.
Just wanted to post to say what a lovely place - spotlessly clean apartment and the pools and play areas were excellent - my little one loved it all - he also enjoyed going into the Creche - just to warn you though to book your sessions early as it seems to be getting busier and busier now.
We didn't eat in the restaurant but did have a meal in the bar and it was fine - plenty of choice burgers, pizza's etc.
We ate out every night - in the Old Town - the most expensive meal we had was about 75 Euros (2 Adults and 1 Child) but that included a couple of G & T's for me before hand - a couple of pints for hubby and a bottle of wine with the meal.
Would recommend Bravo in the Old Town (and the Italian above it) for a lovely meal - Food was wonderful, staff very friendly and were brilliant with my Son - there were quite a few other good places to eat - but can't remember the names!!!
We didn't find the walk to the beach too bad and we did have pushchair with us - the steps are quite rickety but not too bad - there was another way down via concrete steps - but that took a bit longer.
Re the towels on the sunbed situation - it wasn't too bad most of the time we were there but again - it seems to have got much busier our last few days and I did see people putting towels out at 8am on the morning we were leaving!!!!
It was getting busier and yes some were reseving sunbeds at 8am and hoging all the umbrellas, although they were putting more out each day, usually enough sunbeds for everyone because you could go down to the other pool which also has a bar and serves icecreams and toasties it also has pools forn the little ones and a variety of water shoots they can run through where they can easily be watched, some sunbeds were in the shade until10.30am-11.30am then they got the full sun very useful if you did not want sun all day :sun
Hi there every-body. I am looking to book a holiday at the Alto Da Colina
for my family in October this year.
I notice I can book a standard room, a sea view room or a corner sea view room. Does any-body know the difference between the corner sea view rooms and the normal sea view rooms - i.e. are the corner rooms bigger or do they just have more windows?
Also do you think the 1-bed apts are big enough for 3 adults and 1 child? I know the descripton states the there are twin beds plus a sofa bed for 2 people in the lounge, it's just we would want to let my Mum and daughter have the bedroom and my husband and I sleep in the lounge. Would the sofa bed convert to a double or is it 2 singles and is it made up ready for you or do you have to do it yourself?
This hotel looks and sounds great and there appears to be some great reviews about it I was just a little worried about the temperatures in October. Does any-one know how warm it is at that time of year?
Hope one of you out there can help.
Thanks in advance.
I am not going for another 4 weeks so I am sure there are others who will be able to offer you a lot better advice. However, with regard the sea view I have been told by my travel agent that all 2 bed apartments have a sea view without having to pay extra. Have you got a price of a 1bed and a 2bed maybe in October for a week it may not be a lot more expensive and it would be nice to have your own room. Hope this helps 8) :lol:
Hi, and thanks for the info, the only thing is there are no 2 bed-apts left, so we would have to book a 1-bed - I don't suppose your travel agent gave you any info. on the 1 beds all having sea views did they? :D
No sorry. I have 4 kids so 2bed apartments in various resorts are sort of like my specialized subject. If I ever go on Mastermind it could be my specialized subject because there are so few of them with Air Con.
4 kids - your brave! :lol:
Well I suppose if you can manage 4 kids in a 2 bed-apt, then we could manage 1 kid and the mother in a 1-bed!
Thanks again.
Sally
P.S. I am sure master-mind would just love your specialized subject!
Sally,

the hotel is up quite high and i would of thought most of the 1 bed apt would have a sea view ( of some kind ) unless you were on the ground floor. the hotel is 'L' shaped with the 2 bed apt all on one side facing the pool and sea the 1 bed are on both sides of the other half, depending on the side of the block you would have a pool/seaview or just a sea view.

we booked a seaview room and were alloacted a corner room this gave us 2 balconys one facing to the front ( sea ) and one facing to the side ( we could still see the sea )

the bedroom has two single beds pushed together. the sofa has one of those pull out beds underneath that springs up to the same level as the sofa.

hope that helps

Clayton.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.