Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Just a small question for anyone who has already stayed at the Alto, does the fridge have a freezer compartment and is their an oven. Thank you all :lol: 8)
the balconies are about 1 metre high and are made of glass we were as normal always telling our 5 and 4 year old not to climb up. there is no oven just a 4 ring modern electric hob and mircowave which had a grill element. there was no freezer compartment
Any thoughts on the best way to get value currency wise euro or sterling cheques, also is there a charge for cashing trav cheques and where was the nearest cashpoint. Cheers. 8) 2 weeks and counting.
I'm holidaying at this hotel for 2 weeks in September/October.

I'm taking a 5 month old baby & a 2 year old toddler.

Does anyone know if I can purchase SMA Gold cartons/tins out there or whether I need to take them with me.

Has anyone used the creche?

:?:
:sun I am going in July and I am not too sure about the formula however, we brought our 8month to Fuengirola 2 years ago and we brought our SMA with us and I had a look around just to see what was available. There were different brands available which may have been SMA under a different label. It is a lot easier to throw a few tins in your case rather than having to go to a few supermarkets which may not be within walking distance and maybe not get it at all. It could be very upsetting for your baby if you were unable to get his regular formula and maybe upset your holiday a bit. Remember you wont have to bring the tins home. Have a great holiday. :fly
Mum22

We were there a couple of weeks ago and I used the creche for my son who is 2 yrs and 10 months - he absolutely loved it and couldn't wait to go back - they played games with the kids and had them painting and sticking etc. They had a ratio of 1 adult for every 3 children.
The only problem for me was that I was booking it on a day to day basis and found that towards the middle of our second week there weren't any spaces for him. It cost 10 Euros for each One and a half hour session (it may be cheaper to book in advance).

Have a great time
I've added this aparthotel to our reviews site. If anyone has stayed here please assist your fellow holidaymakers by writing your review HERE
Thanks Glynis I have been checking the hotel reviews for feedback. Wonderful site keep up the good work. 8)
DebbieO

I have pre-paid for 9 sessions for my 2 year old (will be 2 years & 3 months when we travel). How to I actually pre-book the sessions. [They're paid for but no times set.]

:?:
Just wondering are the kids allowed inflatables in the pool. Last year we brought them to Mojacar and they were not allowed in the pools. If they are not allowed in Alto Do Colina we will not bother to bring them this year. Only 15 more sleeps. 8) 8) :P :fly
just arrived back today from Alto Da Colina after 2 weeks of glorious sunshine and relaxation. Went with my wife and son and found the apartments to be of an excellent standard throughout. There are some bad points but not too many and some may find them trivial, for example

Sunbeds are supposed to be unreserved but towels are getting put out at 8.30 in the morning and the owners perhaps not appearing for some hours.

The bar / restaurant service can be painfully slow (and somewhat expensive). We preferred to eat in the town where a better meal is to be had.

Kids club activities can be repetative and some cost (between 4.50 euros and 22.50 euros). Plus point is that the club runs 3 times a day and the kids do enjoy it.

If you want to do any grocery shopping go to one of the Supermarkets in town and buy your stuff there. We found the one across from the Modelo to be excellent value.

If you want to go to Algarve shopping there is a free bus from the town, but we found (after waiting almost an hour for it) it only caters for certain apartments and the Alto da Colina is not one of them :x .

as said before these are trivial points.

Inflatables are allowed in the pools but can crowd out the kiddies pool if there are lilos or boats involved.

Overall it was an immensely enjoyable holiday and my only major gripe is Faro airport, believe me the place is a nightmare and check-in can take upto an hour.
Hi all you out there that have been to Club Alto de Colina, my family go in 4 weeks time. You were discussing booking the creche - what age do the kids have tobe to go into the creche and how much does it cost? I also hve 2 kids age 5 and 8 and want to go to the kids club - am I right in saying that this is already in the package?
:fly :fly I am not too sure about the Alto Do Colina but I have been to other Firsh Choice Properties that have kids clubs and creches. I think they wii take up to a 3yr old and it is usually about 11 euro for an hour and a half maybe 2 hours. Eventhough the kids club is supposed to be included in the cost of the holiday you will find some of the actiities will incur an extra charge. Hope this helps. I am going next Thursday. This time next week I will be up, up and away. 8) 8)
Could anyone tell me if there are laundry facilities at the hotel please.
Yes there is a laundry facility on the top floor, did not use it but it was in the information booklet on reception
Can anyone let me know about the excursions that are on offer from Alto de colina. Also what are the rooms like i.e. facilities that are in them. Do i have to book the creche in advance? What is the entertainment like in the evening and what are the prices like for drinks and food either in the complex or out around? Do we have far to travel to get to the good eating places? :( I am travelling with my husband and 3 kids 8; 5 and 1 year old and want to make sure that there is enough to keep them happy and be able to enjoy it ourselves. I am going on 11th August and really looking forward to it. Have always went to Spain and Majorca - never been to Portugal before! :D :P
hi all just returned last night after a wonderful 2 weeks. Very little to complain about main problem is the taxi service from the resort you can wait over an hour at peak times (7.30-9.00pm) Restaurant at resort good but dearer than outside. We found the Coyote bar great especially the kareoke,also Legends on the strip have brill food and loads of it at great prices and 2 drinks for the price of 1 every night except sundays.Also good on the strip are The Cottage (great sunday roasts under 7 euros) and the American Diner like a mini version of TGIFridays.Like the previous holidayers we also found the towel thing annoying we sat next to 2 towelled loungers for 3 hours one day the pair turned up sat for 1/2 an hour then went off and came back 1hr later to collect their towels.However general comment has to be excellent apartments first class so clean and well equiped.Please feel free to ask any other questions will help if I can.
Hi Honey, we went on the trip to Zoo Marine 24 euros adults 12 kids it was great the shows were excellent especially Dolphins and there are free fairground rides and a lovely pool and splash area. Our kids are 8,9 and 12 and we had no probs keeping them amused the reps are great we did not use the kids clubs but they always seemed to be busy.
Hi All, we are here at the moment. It is a really great complex, with lots of great facilities for adults and kids alike, however, the location isnt the best and it is really a case of taxis or rent a car for a few days. Will post a more detailed report in a few weeks. 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.