Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
i agree sandc we done it per person just had to collect everything from each other when we got back when i go back in oct only got 15kg limit but didnt wear half the clothes i took in june
I have to differ as a family of 6 we either take 5 or 6 cases, with 2-3 of them always being over 20kg.We usually fly with either Thomas Cook, Thomsons or First Choice so wether or not the airline makes a difference. I am sure it said on our recent tickets that baggage allowance was 20kg with no one case being over 25kg, so check the smallprint there.
Thing is with Dalaman the check in staff work for the airport and not for the airline.
We didn't have a problem coming back a couple of weeks ago, maybe it depends on the individual, but as I said I'm sure it was stated on the actual tickets.
It very much sounds like individuals as those who have made complaints it seems that there has been a lot of charging in one queue with the queue next to it going through fine.
My receipt I recieved in April had the Airlines heading on it, Not Dalaman Airport, So this would suggest it is the Airline that puts the pressure on the staff at Dalaman Airport.
It is the airlines that charge more for excess baggage not the airport as its cost more fuel to carry extra weight.
Got back last night from Dalaman Airport and the checkin girl did try it on with us as one case was 27.something Kg while the other was around 18Kg. I had pre-booked the extra bagage allowance with Portand so after a little discussion she accepted both cases and didn't ask for any money.

As for the prices for food, drinks, etc. They were scandalous so we didn't bother buying anything. Six pounds for a rather weak looking cheese roll defies belief. The airport auhtorities must have employed Gordon Brown as they're financial advisor. :shock:

*Edit to remove comments that may offend Briar
A serious question!

Have any of the people who have been charged gone on holiday on a last minute booking. as you normally end up with a reduced 15kg allowance.

A few years ago we booked a late deal and ended up with a 15kg allowance not 20kg as we had packed for, when we got to Birmingham airport for a flight to Majorca we where charged on the way out of the UK for excess baggage!

Could it be that the people being charged are genuinely over there allowance.

Its just a thought so please don't crucify me with your answers
I was thinking the same thing. We have always had a 20 kg allowance but one year got a Pricebreaker deal. It was our friends who noticed it was only 15 kg, luckily it was spotted before we went.

I have noticed that a lot of people are asked to show their hand luggage, bags must be a certain size and weigh 5 kg. You can be charged if they are too big.

The other year someone got on the plane with a huge box of crockery which did not go in the overhead storage. The crew were not happy as this box was kept on the floor the whole way home. How they got through with it is a mystery.

Barb
Flew back from Dalaman last night and do agree that rules are rules and if you're over the limit then it's a gamble whether or not you'll be asked to pay the excess. But this is what happened to us....
We had 'flight only' with Thomas Cook Airways and booked online where we had the option of 15 kg allowance included or paying an extra amount per person to get 20 kg each.
We opted for the 15kg, didn't weigh our cases and at Gatwick we were well under the 20kg combined (had 3 cases between 4 people), but over the 15 kg. However the check-in clerk let us through without a word, for which we were very grateful as we were clearly in the wrong!!
Last night practically everyone in our check-in queue had to pay extra. There was an 'official' looking guy watching our check-in desk - but not any of the others where people seemed to sail through. He sent several people off to the cash point when they said they had no money and was a bit upset when one couple insisted on opening their cases and off-loading stuff into their hand luggage. He didn't get stroppy about it, just looked worried as if he might get into trouble for allowing them!
We knew we'd get clobbered but when he wanted cash and my husband said he hadn't got much, the guy said 'how much have you got - that will do!!' All very strange if you ask me! he put the money into a portable safety deposit box and gave us a receipt. He was very polite and said he worked for the airline.
(BTW, nobody said anything about our hand luggage. Mine was clearly quite heavy as I'd tried to lighten the cases!)
we had an experience in may (although not at dalaman) we were over the limit as we only had 15kgs each, the lady at check in was lovely at birmingham airport and she let us put our hand luggage on that was quite light def not 5kg each and she equated all the luggage so originally we should have paid 99 pound and only had to pay 50 quid.

there are some nice people out there.

pam xx
We came back in May through Dalaman and were over on one case by about 6 kilos. Luckily for us the lady at the desk was in a really good mood and just told us to carry on and didn't charge us. Phew!! :wink:

If someone paid the excess by cheque....what would happen if you cancelled the cheque when you got home.....not that I'm suggesting anyone tries it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :no

CHW :smokin
Do they take cheques ? Some countries no longer have cheques.
The only checks they will take is your fake burberry baseball caps :lol:
:D We got back last night sailed through Dalaman airport no charges or anything.

It was the quickest we have ever booked in and we were just about the last family to check in. :D
sailed through Dalaman airport Have they got serious flooding there as well? :lol:
That would be called sweat standing in the check inn queues. :lol:
just back from Ovacik a week earlier than expected due to Our friend becoming very ill on Sunday evening. was most impressed with the new airport but was disgusted when asked for £23 for 6 cans of coke. asked for money back and they offered to charge £19. what a rip off. we had taken water with us but had drunk this due to having a 2 hour delay. no way would I pay these prices.
Shaz150
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.