Tour Operators and Travel Agents

Discussions regarding Tour Operators and Travel Agents
Yes. I'm pretty certain that somewhere amongst the smallprint it states that if you have paid the low deposit and have to cancel then the full amount becomes due. I know that was the case when I checked a few months ago. Sorry, I'm sure that wasn't the answer you wanted...If you're very concerned have you thought about just amending the booking?
Yes the deposit is most certainly the full amount deposit not just the low offer amount that was taken.
Well you were both correct - I called them and they confirmed the whole deposit amount would be payable should I cancel.

Im just going to have to suck it up and pray the hotel Im booked at will be open in time.

Do I have any say on which resort I wish to be transferred to should they tell me I cant go to my chosen one or do I get no choice?
hi, i have been following posts on this thread to see when people have been receiving their tickets. most have been received about 4 weeks before travel so have been waiting for ours. on saturday which was just 4 weeks before travel ours came but my sons who are travelling to same place but one week before us as they are staying for 2 weeks havent arrived. i rang direct holidays eventually yesterday after trying the automated service twice but it couldnt recognise my voice and then speaking to someone. she wouldnt look into at all because i wasnt my son but insisted you dont get your tickets till 2 weeks before. i told i had mine and so have a lot of people on here but all she said is that you shouldnt get them till 2 weeks before. so i said ok i was just hoping that when it gets to 2 weeks before we dont find out that theres a problem. my sons go 2 weeks this saturday 16th august so we hope they going to arrive. if he gets in from work on time i think he should give them a ring. cant wait for my hols but will feel better when their tickets arrive.
DH Web site says tickets are sent out approx 28 days before departure.
and to give 0871 664 7944 if you have not received them 14 day prior to flying.

I have always had my tickets 3-4 weeks prior to flying from DH.

If they have been sent and gone missing. I think they issue new tickets which you would pick up at the airport.

I would get your son to give them a call again.

Lynn
hi lynn. my son rang direct a couple of days ago and was told not to worry its usually 7 to 10 working days before holiday when you get tickets. he explained that we had ours and we dont go until a week later and the man said that each booking is treated seperately. they fly 2 weeks today and still no tickets so i think he should be back on the phone to them later. you were right that on the website it states they are sent out 28 days before departure but the man on the phone wasnt having any of it. i think they are probably going to end up picking them up at airport but hope not. thanks. mandy
OK - further to my above post - Direct holidays have now contacted me by email to tell me they can no longer offer me the orginal booking as the hotel is closing for renovations.

They have offered me a more superior hotel which is about an hours drive away from where we were staying. But the hotel doesnt really come up high on my list of resorts I would have stayed at.

Id like to know whether you agree this consistutes what they class as a "MAJOR" change.

On my T & C's it states I can cancel without any penalty if there is a major change, described as

- We reduce your stay by more than 12 hours
- We have to change your accomodation to one of a lower tour operator
- We have to change your holiday to a different country or a different area of teh same country

I think I fit into point 3 - does anyone else agree. I was orginally staying in Montego Bay Jamaica now its changing to Runaway Bay jamaica, about an hours drive difference.

Your advice appreciated, I havent called them yet. They need to know within 21 days

Thanks
I think you should be able to cancel with a full refund.
Im hoping so too Kath - but thier letter was very well worded - they didnt mention anything about my right to cancel - just tried to glam it up with the fact they are sending me to a higher rated hotel at no extra cost.
  • Edited by Glynis HT Admin 2008-08-03 21:00:32
    Edit to remove letter as it may be copyrighted - please summarise in your own words - thanks
Hi there Mrs Elliot, the same thing happened to us at the end of june, you will see my posts a few pages back, we were booked to go to a hotel in benidorm and 8 weeks before we were to go we got the exact same email from direct holidays explaining that our hotel was over booked and they were moving us to another hotel about 10 minutes away from the original one we booked. However after many phonecalls to get through the situation was , we could settle with the hotel they were offering to put us too or we could move to another hotel of our choice or recieve a full refund, we choose another hotel but this too was overbooked, but in the end we just went to the hotel they were moving us too, so i would think that you would be able to get a refund as the hotel they are moving you too is an hour away from where you originally wanted to go. As regards to a refund they said to me they would refund us by cheque and they would do their hardest to make sure we had it quickly but wether this would have been the case i shall never know. I have got a freephone number somewhere for the department that deals with these changes as the number they give you, it costs a fortune as sometimes i was on hold for 50+mins i will look it out and give you it later, xx
Thanks kazza thats given me some reassurance that I can ask for cancellation - Ive only paid £4 deposit as I took thier low offer deposit back in January - they never chased me for a larger deposit - just told me to pay in full 8 weeks before so I dont have that problem.

Still want back my 4 quid though! :D
hi just paid the balance of my holiday i paid it over the phone with the automated system with no problems at all however does anyone know if and when i will get another invoice showing my final balance has been paid
many thanks
8 weeks to go ;)
Hi, I got an invoice showing my balance was paid within a week of using the automated system.
I got my final invoice showing a nil balance along with two letters one saying I was due them £280 and the other £145 :que phoned them up to find out what was happening and told not to worry as balance had been paid. Easy for them to say :duh

Lynn
many thanks hope i dont get 2 extra letters :)
Forgot to add that a few weeks after I had my invoice showing a nil balance I also had a letter saying I still owed £480. Spent 25 mins trying to get through on phone to be told they had sent it in error.
oh no hope i dont get the same ;)
never mind heres hoping i know one thing they not getting anymore cash from me :) just hoping i dont get any fuel supplements nearer hand time can they do this and is there a cut off point for doing it
I think confussion is just with holidays booked last year before the merger with TC and which have 2 booking references, which is the case with my holiday in Sept.

I booked to go away in May this year after the takeover with TC and had no problems as all.

Lynn
Just thought I'd post something positive about Direct Holidays after my problems earlier in the year with my booking.

Just returned from our holiday with them and I'm pleased to say everything went very smoothly and in the end I was very pleased with our holiday experience. The flights with Thomas Cook were fine, an hour delay on the way out but that's nothing reallly. The reps (Thomas Cook) were very pleasant, and the accomodation was exactly as requested. I have no complaints at all about the actual holiday, it's just a pity the service beforehand isn't great. Hopefully this may improve now that the merger is complete?

I know I said I'd never book with them again, but I take it back! :whoops
  • Edited by nicJW 2008-09-02 21:13:05
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.