Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
I think you've read it wrong the second time! The link to the rules in pictures has been posted on here every few pages, latest earlier this week.

The weight you get free is 20kg each, any more you pay for.

The number of bags is how ever many handling charges you have paid for, none get handled for free.

The 32kg is the maximum weight they will allow in one bag, if it's one passengers then 20kg is free and 12kg is chargeable, if it's split between a number of passengers there may be no excess charge but put more than that in one bag and they won't take it at any price.

So, 5 passengers could get 100kg free weight but since you only paid for 2 handling charges each way you can only fit in 64kg (2x32). If you had paid for 3 handlings then you could get up to 96kg, spread evenly. Easyjet is one of the few airlines that let you pool weight, most would say each passenger needs a seperate paid bag or loses their weight allowance.

If your confirmation does say combined weight but doesn't mention the bag limit then it's technically wrong. If you put 30kg in one and 34kg in the other you'll have trouble at at the airport. Even at 32kg they wil give you a black look and then cover it with warning stickers! And they'll probably make you drag it to the oversize bag desk which is always the furthest from where you are!!

And southerners are at a big disadvantage - they live in the south!!!
And southerners are at a big disadvantage - they live in the south!!!
:rofl

We flew with Easyjet this year and as with this year's confirmation it says 2 suitcases paid for with a combined weight of 64kg allowed. We paid for 2 suitcases as we're picked up in a Zafira and there's only room for the 2 suitcases plus our hand luggage. One weighed in at 24kg and the other at 26kg (which ended up with a HEAVY label on it) so we were under the 64kg allowance anyway.

This is a pic of the screen that I've just taken:

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2248/12677347/23100395/392843763.jpg

The booking page wasn't like that when I booked my flights that much I do know, nor in the last couple of weeks as I've looked at our flights rise in price but from that screen to me it reads that if I was booking that now, and I was paying for 2 hold baggage I would be allowed a total of 40kg for the 2 cases (20kg each) and if I wanted to increase that to 43kg, 46kg, 49kg, 52kg, 55kg, 58kg, 61kg or 64 kg I would have to pay between £42 and £336 for the privilege.

From that it makes it look like our 2 suitcases now have a combined weight of 40kg not 64kg as stated on our confirmation UNLESS I'm missing something (highly likely) lol.
when we booked our flight from MCR to Tenerife we added 1 hold case (there are 2 of us) and we were able to take 32kg in the one case at no extra cost. looking at flights for nexttime this advantage seems to have ben stopped and 1 case for 2 passengers is now only 20kg and any more you pay - is this change correct

Chris
Chris, that's what I'm saying...Easyjet on the surface look to have been well sneaky with this one :evil: It definitely wasn't on the system when we booked ours a few weeks ago but is now, my paperwork states we have 2 bags booked and can have a combined weight of 64kg so I would have good grounds for an argument at check-in!
Have just gone into our booking and it actually states:

2 hold bag(s) + 24kg extra weight per flight between all passengers

The (5) passengers in this booking may check in a combined total of 2 hold bag(s) each flight on this booking. The total hold weight must not exceed 64kg

So looks like anyone who booked before this change is okay (I've taken screen shots of it all just in case I need it for ammunition at check-in) but if you are booking now you WILL be affected.

Well that's how it looks to me at any rate.
I stand corrected!

Although the pictures in the link posted last week appear to show the original version of the system, the words have changed ever so slightly from what it used to say. So although you can still pool the weight and spread it around there is no longer any free allowance.

But you still wouldn't have had to pay another £336 to get up to 64kg because your group could buy the 2 more bag handling charges with the 20kg each allowance needed to get up to 80 kg in total - and I assume that charge hasn't risen to £160 per bag !! So the actual increase through the new system isn't huge but anyone used to working the old system could get caught out.
it certainly makes a difference we can over a couple of weeks ago and the one case was 27Kgs ! Luckily our next flight in March has the 32Kg stated on the documentation and would not expect this to change before we fly.

It was a nice extra benefit and thats one of the reasons we booked with EasyJet, them making this change has now brought them back to the rest of the pack.

Chris
Isn't the magic 32 kg figure a legal requirement from Health and Safety to protect the baggage handlers? If so, it's unlikely to change without notice ..................
Isn't the magic 32 kg figure a legal requirement from Health and Safety
- think about it. It's the same virtually every where in the world so what would be the body that sets a law that applies all over the world?

Basically it's a number which has become internationally recognised - but 33 could be OK or 31 could cause injury, it depends on the conditions. If they allowed a baggage handler to lift say 35 and he injured himself, then under UK law they could be prosecuted (by the state) and sued (by the handler) since the consensus of professional advice was 32. Same may be true under the laws of other countries. Where it gets interesting is if he lifted 35 and got away with it, under UK law even if it came to the attention of the HSE nothing would be done, BUT if handlers started having a lot of injuries at 30 (maybe because of straining to fit it in to the shape of an aircraft hold) the HSE may start to take it seriously since actual events would have proved the previous advice to be doubtful. The Daily Mail, Lord Young and others would like to think that UK H&S law sets very specific standards for everything - it doesn't, the entire H&S at Work Act would quite easily slip into an envelope big enough for the average tour operator brochure.

there's two other things that need to be considered about maximum bag weight. First, the aircraft hold door size and floor loading standard - at some point a bag would be banned by the aircraft manufacturer even if the airline provided extra handlers and a fork lift truck!

And how do you get it to the airport? Have you ever tried to lift 32kg out of the boot of a car or on and off a train??? Until you check it in it's your problem!
And how do you get it to the airport? Have you ever tried to lift 32kg out of the boot of a car or on and off a train??? Until you check it in it's your problem!

:tup But it's SO easy to miscalculate 20kg and find your bag weighs 21.1 kg instead .... financial doom awaits!! And even worse for that other LCC with its 15 kg limit!!
now that's a whole new bag of worms, there's also the danger of the airport scales being slightly wrong (see ongoing thread about Newcastle airport!!!) so if you get it exactly right you could still be in trouble.

Going back to the max weight per bag issue, there is another reason that might apply. Under some international treaty (can't remember whether it's Warsaw or Montreal) compensation for lost bags is paid by weight not alledged value, remember Naomi Campbell a couple of years back? So it would make sense to force weights down to avoid big claims.

A completely different issue over paid bags (possibly with all airlines that charge, not just easyjet) has occured to me. Say you're going away for Christmas at relatives. You book your flight as a return journey, then you go into add bags - it will charge you for the return. But what if you only want an extra bag on the outward leg for the presents you are taking? I don't remember seeing a way of booking different numbers for each direction (I've not used the new easyjet screens). You'd either have to pay for a bag you didn't have in one direction or book the whole trip as two singles. Same thing if you were planning to bring a lot of stuff back from a trip.
steve8482 wrote:

A completely different issue over paid bags (possibly with all airlines that charge, not just easyjet) has occured to me. Say you're going away for Christmas at relatives. You book your flight as a return journey, then you go into add bags - it will charge you for the return. But what if you only want an extra bag on the outward leg for the presents you are taking? I don't remember seeing a way of booking different numbers for each direction (I've not used the new easyjet screens). You'd either have to pay for a bag you didn't have in one direction or book the whole trip as two singles. Same thing if you were planning to bring a lot of stuff back from a trip.
´

Happens to me almost every time I travel to the UK with a budget airline . I take very little with me as I keep clothes and toiletries at MIL's but I always want to bring back a fair amount of purchases, either for me or for other expats living nearby and it's invariably stuff that has to go in the hold (jar of mincemeat is classed as a liquid) So I end up paying for hold luggage both ways or buying two single tickets, which can be a real pain if I am booking flights for more than one person.
It was so much easier a couple of weeks ago when I flew to the UK with Lufthansa. Straightforward Website, final price stated all the way through the booking with no extras. Unfortunately LH don't fly into Gatwick.
Gatwick flights for summer 2011 now on sale! Booked mine to Antalya for June £99 each brilliant!
Got mine as well this morning for June to Dalaman for 11 days. £119 each to include luggage and the whopping £10.96 charge for paying by credit card!!! Only 8 months to go :sun2
Booked flights on EasyJet the other day for June next year. Got confirmation email with a Reference number but am a bit worried because at the top of the confirmation letter it says 'You need to add ID information to your booking'. I did this when I booked - added all our passport details as asked, so cannot understand this. Is this just put on all their confirmation emails?
Nothing like that on my confirmation Email received yesterday for an internal flight... just states that we need to have photographic ID

ATB,J.
Hi, It also said this on my email confirmation and I added it at the time, and went on to check my booking and it was all there so must say it on everyones to make sure!
Thanks to you both. How do you check your booking Lady? I would like to check mine now 'cos this has got me a bit worried. Mind you, think, as you say, it may just be on most of their confirmation emails.
Just click on My easyJet.com in the box at the top right of the homepage and you can check the details of your booking. I agree it's a bit confusing, as it says "Important! You need to add ID information to your booking" but underneath that it should say "Thank you for providing your advance passenger information". If you press the Amend Document Details button you can see the information you have entered.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.