General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Sorry if this a repeat thread, but its nearly that time again, when avid readers get a chance to read 12 or 13 books in a fortnight or if you are my mate 3 pages of Gazzas autobiography.

What are the in books for the pool/beach?

My suggested authors if you like crime thrillers are:

Mark Billingham (scardy cat, lazy bones, the burning girl e,t,c) - New book just out Buried.

Karin Slaughter (Blindsighted, Faithless, Indelible e.t.c)

Lisa Scottoline (Killer Smile, courting trouble)

Michael Connelly (blood work, city of bones, the closers e.t.c)

Happy reading :sun

Lee
Know this is going to sound really corny..but i tend to read Jeffrey Archer books. i have read almost everything he has done and find them gripping yet easy going.
for all those who have read the Da Vinci code try The Genesis Code by john case. this is a pure fiction book, but is a great read.
read the rule of four this year(supposed to be the next great thing after DVC),-see websight here -http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/minisites/ruleoffour/

and thought it was an interesting enough book but not as good as DVC.
I think that it's cool to go round a few boot sales and pick up a few novels for 50p or so... That way you wont limit your choice when you are out there! You might also pick up something that you wouldn't normally read at 10% of it's "new" price, which is also good.

Just finished reading the Sharon Osbourne autobiograhpy... It's really interesting but I finished it in a couple of hours!
Any suggestions for a 16 year old.
She only ever reads books on holiday and one of her favourites was A Child Called it.

I must agree with earlier post Martina Cole is my preferred choice for my holiday reading. I have got the da vinci code but not sure whether it will be my kind of book.
Hi Scampy

Has your daughter read the sequals to 'A Child Called It'?
They are just as good as the first.
They are called 'The Lost Boy' and 'A Man Called Dave'.

Another book i enjoyed just as much was 'Sickened' by Julie Gregory
It's about a Girl who is brought up by her mother who suffers from Munchausen by Proxy.
Its another book i found very difficult to put down!
I've recently finished 'The Little Prisoner' by Jane Elliot.
Again, a true story and very gripping.Also about child abuse.
Although i found this hard to put down it also made it difficult reading and is quite upsetting in some parts.
I think it could be a bit too much for a 16 year old but thats just my opinion.
She may enjoy 'The Bad Mothers Handbook' as mentioned before on this thread.
Its quite funny in places and has a character in it her own age.
Good luck to everyone finding a great holiday read!
I've got a couple of the suggestions already made, packed in my suitcase ready to go! :fly
I'm with Lee (only1ronaldo) !!

Just booked a last minute week in Ayia Napa next month so will only be taking four books (probably have to buy more whilst there !!).

Have the latest Billingham paperback and a Connelly. Will also be taking a Harlan Coben and a John Connolly, or perhaps a Robert Goddard.....or Mo Hayder?....Val McDermid?.....Carl Hiaasen?

.....it's no good, need more holidays :lol: :lol: :lol:
I always read a lot on holiday - Martina Cole is always my first choice but also enjoy autobiographys - will read anything really. Have been making a list from here for my holiday next month - I may need an extra suitcase for books alone :lol:
For light reading I like anything by Jasper Fforde - very funny and clever (you have to read some of the names outloud to get the joke) especially the one about Humpty Dumpty. If I want something more substantial then I prefer Amitav Ghosh (The Glass Palace or The Hungry Tide are my favourites) or Paulo Cuello - very spiritual. Then again, if I run out of my own I will read anything I can beg or borrow from someone else.
Hi All,
I enjoy the Inspector Banks series of books by Peter Robinson, or any good detective novel like the ones mentioned above. Another really good read are any books by Bill Bryson, and if you want some light reading and a really good laugh, you ought to dig out any by Tom Sharpe, Wilt, Wilt on High, Ancestral Vices, Porterhouse Blue etc., I first read them about 20 years ago but they still stand up for me now, try them. What a thought eh gang, lying on that beach reading a good book with that lovely Beni sun beating down.... bliss :lol:
Happy reading & happy hols.
Brigger
hi all - im flying off to cyprus on 18 june with hubby and kids in tow (ages 8 and 4). i love reading true stories and have read a child called it and the follow ons. can somebody recommend another true story that i could buy and where i would be able to get it cheaply from???

thanks
mdaly - I've read the 'Child called It' books and I read sickened, that was really good, alnog the same sort of lines really. Also liked some of the recommendations on here and went onto ebay, just got two of them for £2.50 each including post and packing! Give us a shout round the pool, me and my mate always take a few so we can swap them around :lol:

Max
allright max - bound to see something of you round the pool. if not im sure i will hear you lot!

really looking forward to it now - only wish we were going for 2 weeks instead of one. might book another week somewhere in the school hols - will look around and see if i can grab a bargain.

i'm hoping i will get time to read the books i buy - i wonder how with the kids - we shall see.

if the building works turn out to be too noisy we will prob head for the beach.

cya
I read Accident by Danielle Steel last week on holiday and cried so much I had to leave the pool side!.I also like Martina Cole and Celia Aherne.I took a Robin Cook book with me and could not put it down,Chromesone 6.It has put me off eating beefburgers ever again.!
I also recommend Kaitlyn by Kevin Lewis - read it in a couple of days, would have been less but some people kept demanding meals and school uniforms doing and dog walking etc etc ! How inconciderate!!

Its quite Martina Cole-ie so if you like her stuff you won't be disappointed.

I also like Val Mcdermid's dr tony hill series - these are brill and much better than the tv version.

I was really disappointed when I read another of her books which featured a journalist called lynsay gordon- load of rubbish (personally!) :shock: I actually threw it away rather than inflict it one anyone else, usually my friends and I all swop books to recyle them!

So beware don't think all hers are as good - why does it sometimes feel like they are written by someone else? Glad it wasn't a holiday read!

The supermarkets are great for picking up a cheap read these days,can't remember the last time went in WHSmiths!
i hav also read the "child called it" books and his brother has also brought out a book called "Richard B Pelzer - A Brothers Journey" i bought it for my mam for her birthday and she says it is really good so i wil read it by the pool in bulgaria end of august

another good book is "goodbye dearest holly" by kevin wells about holly and the soham murders not a very pleasant read but excellent i read it in 2 days
Before I look too daft, I do read a lot of books including the "horrible life stories" genre, but when I'm on holiday all I really fancy is a nice trashy chick-lit love story- the more cliche the better.

I think it's like watching Trisha/Jerry Springer/etc. You wouldn't want to do it every day, but it's ok as a once off!

Without sounding too pretentious, poetry is a :swear good choice sometimes. Locomotion by Jacquline Woodson is a really tender journey. It blew my mind!
Hi - im going to cyrpus in 2 weeks time and i bought a book from ebay called "sickened" which was recommended by Bluemax on this forum! I was going to take it with me - but i did the wrong thing and started reading the first couple of pages "to see if i could get into it" lol and ive just finished it on day 1! god knows what im gonna take with me now.

anybody got any good suggestions for true stories?????
Nicky, I done the same thing, bought Kaitlyn as recommended on here, and I've got a chapter left to read tonight :? Also bought The Little Prisoner, taking that with me so I'll pass that onto you when we're over there! Another one I've ordered is The Damage Done, a true story about someone imprisoned in the Bankok hilton - that will be in my case too so thats another that I'll throw across the pool for you to read if you like 8) :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.