General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I love Maeve Binchy, but have now read all of her books. They are so hard to put down. My friend recently recommended Cathy Kelly and I am now in the process of reading her books - I have read two so far. They are very similar in style and are both Irish - usually about the lives of people in an Irish town/village. They get me absolutely hooked and I am desperate to find out what happens to these people - I find that I get to really care about them. There is usually one tragedy somewhere along the line though - in fact the latest Cathy Kelly I read meant that I was sat on the balcony of our hotel in floods of tears and my husband was really worried when he came across me! Fabulous book though.
I love Veronica Henry novels - they are such easy reads - set in the countryside , usually with a few romps etc.
Her first novel was Honeycote which is great, then there was wild oats and another which name escapes me . They make fab holiday reading,
the good news is there is a new one out this week and I go away in 2 weeks so will definately be taking a copy along.
Went car booting it this moring, and got 22 books - and only spent £6.50. Less than the price of one new book. I got a couple of Martina Cole, Maeve Binchy and many other, most of them look like they had only been read once. So I`m sorted for my hols, just got to decide which ones to take.
Wow- Katies mum- you sure have alot of reading to do :lol: :lol:
Its either all or nothing with me. Too much choice or they bookcase is empty!! At least I don`t need to visit a field early on a Sunday morning for a while!!!
Have a bag full of brand new books, which I have read. Pick then up for £2.99 in local book shop or 3 for £5 from "The Works"
Shame have not got anyone to swap with as all my friends say too busy to read. :cry:
Will prob take them to the Cancer Research shop :D
I really love sorting my books out for my holiday. For a fornight I normal read 8/9 books. But normal take about 12.
These are mostly charity/carboots but I do normal treat myself to a new Hardback normally a Thriller John Grisham Karin Slaughter such like of Amazon or Smiths Half Prize.
I normal start with a pile of about 30 books and cut them down to
8 murder mistery Courtroon drama etc
4 lighter books Shopalic /Libby Purves/Judy Astley etc.
1 novel about the the region I am visting. Of to Eygpt a week tomorrow so taking Wilbur Smith " River God"
Then final I take 2 or 3...200 hundred page novels Dick Francis, Agatha Christie Miss Read etc. These are fit in Handbag reads for after dinner before a walk or the entertainent starts.
As you can tell reading is a major part of my holidays :D
Need a new Author, Help!!
I have terrible trouble remembering what I have read and what I havent and invariably buy the same book twice (even 3 times once)
I worked with a great friend who I used to swap with and she kept a list of each author and each book, so I always know where I was up to. Unfortunately now I have to look for the latest books of my favourite authors, which I still managed to come unstuck with when I bought the same book in March to read on the plane to SG and in June
to read on the train home from London.

My favourite authors are.....
Ian Rankin
Jeffrey Deaver
Michael Connolly
Patricia Cornwell

So can anyone recommend any authors in a similar crime thriller genre that I can follow. And I promise to keep a list of what I buy this time!!
Kathy Reichs is the author that immediately springs to mind. Her earlier works Deja Dead, Death Du Jour were especially good and beat Patricia Cornwell into a cocked out. :D As with Patricia Cornwell though I think her latest couple of efforts have gone a bit downhill. I would also have a read of some of Faye Kellermans books as well.
Kathy Reichs is one of my favourites too!
Hi all. I'm a fan of Maeve Binchy and Cathy Kelly, but since I've now read all their books can anyone suggest another similar author. Their novels are about the lives of different characters that somehow come together. Sorry, that was a hopeless description but if you've read anything by these authors you'll know what I mean.
Duncan
these are some of my favourites too. If you like those, try PJ Tracy. She has written 3 books, the first is called Want To Play. Very like Jeffrey Deaver in lots of ways.
Fiona HT Mod wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:17 pm Post subject:
Kathy Reichs is one of my favourites too!

Don't know about you, but I wasn't that impressed with Cross Bones. Saw the latest one Break No Bones in Tesco on Saturday, but I am a skinflint and won't buy it in hardback :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back On Topic, a tip that I have used in the past to find new authors is this.

Go on to Amazon and search for an author that you know you like. Select one of their books (doesn't matter which). It will then give you a list of "Customers who bought this item also bought" books. I have found some good authors doing this. Once you have the list you can view the books to get an idea if they are your cup of tea.

For example for people who bought books by Maeve Binchy also bought books by the following authors.

Joanna Trollope
Marcia Willett
Marian Keyes
Erica James

Most of these authors also appear on a search of Cathy Kelly books as well. As most people like to read books of similar nature I would start there Shirleyh, chances are the books by those authors are going to be of a similar genre. Gardens of Delight by Erica James, has two reviews and both are very good, it sounds like it could be right up your street. :D
Break no Bones- I don't suppose it will be out in paperback by a week on Friday?!
Afraid not :D Not due to be published in paperback until November. You could try going into tesco and photocopying the pages of the hardback onto a digital camera :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Might not be such a good idea though.
no- better look through here for other suggestions! :lol:
duncan!
michael connelly,is also one,of my favourite authors.i have read them all.
try looking at
james patterson
harlen coben
lisa gardner &
karin slaughter.
i haven't been disapponted,in any book,by the above authors.all excellent reads & i am always waiting,for any of them,to bring a new one out.
happy reading
tracy
unfortunately i am a reading addict so i can't get any books before i go as i will read them :roll: i'm getting some from the airport so hopefully there will be some sort of offer on (buy one get 12 free ;) )

i read anything at all, but have just finished time travelers wife, it was brilliant! as soon as i finished it i started back at page one and read it again!
Thanks Very much, I will try the Amazon trick and check out some of the other suggested Authors, everyones help very much appreciated.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.