General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I have just read a book called "Rock me gently" by Judith Kelly which is a true story about her early childhood when her mum abanoned her in a nun run orphanage/boarding school. The cruelty her and the other girls endured was terrible and beyond belief, culminating in the death of 2 girls. Many years later, a nun was prosecuted for cruelty and convicted.

There has been some controversy over this book with the author being accused of plaguerism and some girls at the school denying the incidents ever took place, while others have come out in support to praise her for finally revealing the horror and mental torture inflicted upon them.

I read it inside 2 days and when the book finally described how the girls died i was almost in tears...( prhaps not a book to take on holiday then but still a good read..)
If you like these kind of stories about the lives of children who were abused in their sweet infancy you may like to try (kathy's story by Kathy O'beirne also childhood interrupted by katleen o'malley they are very good like you other readers i could'nt put these books down once i'd started.
I'm amazed nobody has recommended Jodie Picoult! My teenage daughter recommended them and they are well worth reading. She tends to tackle "taboo ish" subjects. Some of her best are My Sister's Keeper, Salem Falls, and The Pact. Read one and you'll want to read the rest!
Read through this topic earlier and someone recommended a book calle "The Damage Done", I don't think they mentioned the author and i don't have time to read the whole thread again. Does anyone know who the author is? I've just done a search and come up with several!
Thanks.
Hi
If it is the one about serving 12 years in a Bankok prison it is by Warren Fellows :wink:
Many thanks, that sounds right.
Top 50 paperbacks in WHS at the moment are buy one get one free.
Worth stocking up for :D
I read 3 books while I was away....all Martina Cole.
Two of the books I had bought in Woolworths for £7 and I had taken them both to Benidorm in June and never read a page...but they enjoyed their trip :lol:

I read "Maura's Game" "Broken" and "the Graft".....then I took them all into an English book swop shop in Torremolinos and exchanged them for "The Take" which I shall take to Benidorm in December and hopefully read.

Love Martina Cole, I've read all her books (apart from "the take") and I'm not a big reader at home these days, but I just can't put her books down, once I get started. :lol:

SanJi x
Same here. The Take is excellent
Some people have already mentioned the Lee Child's Jack Reacher books and I can only agree they are brilliant and you do get hooked on them (there's 10 of them so far). He does the American thriller better than any American I know. Stephen Leather is another really good thriller writer, The Chinaman is addictive.

As an aside does anyone ever have the same problem I have and get a couple of hundred pages from the end of a book before I go away and then just don't get the chance to finish it and end up lugging it away with me just to finish it - usually on the plane! Very frustrating :D
Also find although I normally buy books before I go to the airport I usually find I buy another 1 or 2 at the airport as it's all part of the holiday experience. Must like wasting money. Don't always end up reading them before I get back either.

Martina Cole- must get around to some of her's as so many like them. Have to admit I dismissed them as Chicklit as they were written by a woman and didn't look like thrillers. The saying really is true never judge a book by the cover!!!
hello i have just bought the new marian keyes book "further under the duvet" its basically a book of srticles she has done for mags it really is hystericaly funny ive nearly finshed it already. mel x
I have just read "Angels Fall" by Nora Roberts. It was a really good read. A bit of a mystery/thriller/romance type book. Although I guessed "who done it" at the beginning it is one of those books that makes you think you are not right and I did keep chopping and changing my mind. Compelling and I had to finish it as soon as I had started it. :)
Read all 5 of Mandasue Hellers books on holiday-all great reads-couldn't put them down. If you like Martina Cole you will like these.
Just read Rock Me Gently while on hols. Yet another abuse story about a girl in an orphanage run by Nuns. Wouldn't particularly recommend it.
i read that fairly recently joolz.. not your light hearted holiday reading is it...there was alot of controversy over the book with the author being accused of plagurism (probably spelt wrong :oops: ) and some people saying it was true and some of the other characters mentioned denying the event stook place..the book disturbed me somewhat is the best way to describe my feelings about it.

I would sooner read some completely light stuff like jeffrey archer on my hols...he gets slagged alot but he can write good books..
New Martina Cole - the Chase and new Danielle Steel books out - both hardback though.

ps like your new avatar Val!!
thanks joolz.. it was all down to that wonderful lady sanjii..i am so completely useless at anything like that she even had to profile it for me...i tried to do it and managed to put myself in a time warp by altering the clock to GMT - 12 hours...but now i am going off topic....

i have been given a load of John Grisham books for my holidays ( which incidentally are only 7 days away!!). I have only read one of his books, The Broker, which was good but very slow to get moving..
If you have 'The Runaway Jury' or 'The Partner' by John Grisham, IMHO these are his best.

Started reading books by Dennis Lehane (author of 'Mystic River', Oscar winning film directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Sean Penn, Kevin Bacon and Tim Robbins).

The first one 'Gone, Baby Gone' was pretty good.

Polly
am looking to buy peter kay and gordon ramseys autobiography has anybody read these?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.