General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Bumpytybump :lol:

Mark :D
Can anyone remember the name of the book that was featured on the old HT forum.It was about an English woman married to a middle eastern man who had took their children back to his country.I cant remember which country,but it was either Iran or Irac.Chapter 1 was on HT and the ladies name was on the front of the book which had a black cover.This is a long shot as it was a while ago but someone may remember.
These are the books I read on my last holiday - all great!

Five People You Meet in Heaven - Mitch Albom
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Lorelei's Secret - Carolyn Parkhurst
Any Dean Koontz - esp 'Life Expectancy' [think rollercoaster, in the dark, in zero gravity!]
Memoirs of A Geisha - lot better than the film!
Kathy Reichs - Monday Mourning
Stephen King - On Writing [semi autobiographical - written after he was ran over!]

Most were ideal holiday reads and 'unputdownable'. There's an online shop that does 'holiday reads' - SLR Books I think - 3 for the price of 2 - all second hand but in like new condition. I'm going to Centre Parcs this year due to being pregnant so am taking them up on their offer and going to stock up.

St Tropez last year.... Nottingham this year.... hmmmmm!!
Best book I read on the beach this year.The time travellers wife.Brilliant
I agree - couldn't put it down. Had to force myself not to flick ahead.

I also loved 'The Lake of Dead Languages' as well. Total page turner!

Can't wait to buy more and 'absorb' them all in the sun.
I'm going to Centre Parcs this year due to being pregnant

Stock up well Sarah, it'll be the last book you read on a holiday for a while :lol

Just read all of Karin Slaughter's books in a row, fab, I couldn't put them down!
I have just bought Sheila O Flanaghan's Connections to read on my trip to Jamaica, as it is set in the Caribbean I thought it would be very fitting.

Has anyone read Jeffrey Archer's Kane and Abel, I know it's very old but just wondered if it is worth buying?

thanks, shirley.
Absolutely totally is Kane and Abel worth buying..in fact it is the first in a trilogy..the 2nd and 3rd being " The Prodigal Daughter" and "Shall we tell the president?".
I have read all of Jeffrey Archer's books and can recommend most of them.
Can anyone remember the name of the book that was featured on the old HT forum.It was about an English woman married to a middle eastern man who had took their children back to his country.I cant remember which country,but it was either Iran or Irac.Chapter 1 was on HT and the ladies name was on the front of the book which had a black cover.This is a long shot as it was a while ago but someone may remember.

Hiya Jay
No idea, but could it be this one.?

Fatwa: Living with a Death Threat
Jacky Trevane

Sanjiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
I have recently read 'Not Without My Daughter' by Betty Mahmoody, published by Corgi, could this be the one?
It's about a couple and their daughter who lived in the USA, but then travelled to Iran to meet the husbands family.
Once there, Betty and her daughter became 'prisoners' of an alien culture, with her husband refusing to allow them to return to America.
This is a story of a woman's escape from her husband and his family.
could it be SOLD by zahna musen? about 2 girls taken to the Yemen and sold to local men then forced to live a life of drudgery?? the cover was black and it is a brilliant book, I have also read not without my daughter and Fatwa, both are excellent.
Thanks Val and ob, I think I will give Kane and Abel a try, shirleyv
Can anyone recommend any good holiday books for this years beach reads?

was thinking of buying the book by Liz Smith and Gordons Ramseys auto bihiography is out in paperback tomorrow also just read marian keyes latest one which was good
Has anyone read 'Cloud Atlas'? I'm struggling to get into it, though I quite often find that the ones I struggle with at the start turn out to be some of the best if I persevere.
I also struggled with "Cloud Atlas". Have you tried "The Kite Runner"? Brilliant.
Did you get through it in the end then? Was it worth it? I haven't read 'The Kite Runner' but always looking for a good book that's a bit different. Might try that one if I ever get Cloud Atlas finished. I hate to give up on a book :(
I used to persevere with books I struggled with but now I think life's too short. No, I gave up on Cloud Atlas. Someone gave me the Kite Runner and I didn't think it would be for me, but it was really good.
Another one I loved a while back was "Star of the Sea".
Not sure if out on paperback yet, but the book thief is an amazing/unusual/sad/happy story - couldnt put it down (also the time travellers wife was fantastic).
I also loved the Time Traveller's Wife. Will look out for the Book Thief. "We need to talk about Kevin" was another good read.

Did anyone read the Shadow of the Wind? I found it quite hard going but finished it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.