General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Hi Duncan0808

Need a new Author, Help!!

Another author who writes along a similar vein to Patricia Cornwall/Kathy Reich is Linda Fairstein. There are several books out by her.

I am a big fan of all three authors and currently trying to save Break no Bones by KR for my holidays :!:

Although not a crime/mystery/thriller author, I have recently been introduced to Nora Roberts and some of the books I have read have been really good if you like a good romance/thriller type book.
Bought - My Best Friends Girl from school book fair for 20p, don`t even think its been opened. See its a best seller, can`t wait to start it... only
2 weeks to go.
If you haven't already read about it on the Tenerife forum (so you fancied running a bar? thread started by Vivien-Marie) and are going /have been on holiday to Tenerife....or in fact if you've ever dreamt of living and working over there,you should read "More ketchup than Salsa" (confessions of a Tenerife barman) by Joe Cawley...brilliant book...available on http://www.amazon.co.uk (type in the author and title)
Full of humour about everday people and situations ...really very funny
  • Edited by FionaI 2006-08-05 08:18:18
Briar - don't be put off, it is good, it was just my least fave of the 5 I read but still an interesting read.

Katiesmum - you will love My best friend's girl, what a snip too, 20p!! I read it in 2days. Don't peek at it before you go away or you'll be tempted to finish it.
Has anyone read Jordans new novel Angel? Was thinkign of buying it from WH Smith. Also watched Richard and Judy other day and they recommended a book called The Abortionists Daughter and The Island has anyone read these either?
Not read any of them but my friend has just bought The Abortionists Daughter, I like the sound of it.
I brought Air Babylon by Imogen Edwards-Jones and Anon. Its about the day in life of an airport but its written usuing testimonials form staff who wish to remain "anonymous"

Im halfway through (I go in 5 weeks but I really wanted to read it!!) Its good!!
I read air babylon in Goa last year and I loved it I could not put it down, also read Hotel Babylon and the new one out is fashion Babylon.
Hi Guys,

Lots of chick lit there lol.

For a real read youve got to try Jeffrey Deaver, espacially the vanishing man or the twelve card. Al his Lincoln Rhyme books are real thrillers and definate page turners.

For all you Dan Brown fans try The righteous men by Sam Bourne its a jewish da vinci code, and Map of Bones by James Rollins even better than the da vinci code.

But for me the best book of the year if not the best ive ever read is the traveller by John Twelve Hawks. This is absoutley fantastic if not just a little scary. A page turner and definatly a must read. A Modern day Da Vinci Code.
I am reading the historian by elizabeth kostova, it is really good ! wish i hadkept for my holidays.
I read Anybody Out There by Marian Keyes and I cried with laughter - it's the funniest book I've read in ages - I thought Rachel's Holiday was funny but this was hysterical.

I also read Not That Kind of Girl by Catherine Alliott and the references to Henrietta's father who had Alzhiemers made me laugh out loud (my Nan had Alzhiemers before she died in Jan this year) the book made me remember her and some of the funny things that she said/did during the course of her illness - things I'd forgotten about in the often dark days I'd had since she'd passed. Maybe other's wouldn't find it as funny but it really tickled me.

I also read Jade Goody's autobiography, Jordans too and one called Malka (about Jewish child during the war).
Mari

I have just finished The Island by Victoria Hislop and I'll sum it up in one word "FANTASTIC".

I was gripped from start to finish it was one of those books that you cant put down.

I had bought it to take away with me in October but I glanced at the first page and never put down.

Will have to buy some new ones to take with me!!

Carmel :wave
Just got back and wanted to say I read 2 Martine Cole books they were great couldn`t put them down - I was only sorry I didn`t have the other 5 she has written. Also read My Best Friends Daughter it was wonderful I was crying behind my sunglasses.
If you liked Martina Cole then have a look at Mandasue Heller. She writes in the same style but her's are set in Manchester instead of London. Great read!
Thanks Jackie H will do.
katiesmum wrote:
Just got back and wanted to say I read 2 Martine Cole books they were great couldn`t put them down - I was only sorry I didn`t have the other 5 she has written. Also read My Best Friends Daughter it was wonderful I was crying behind my sunglasses.

Have read all Martina Cole's books. Read her latest on hols "The Take" - fab. As for My Best Friend's Daughter - FANTASTIC!!

The Baby Trail series have been recommended to me. Saw the lastest of 3 in Tesco but need to find the 1st one.
:D I agree... My best friends girl was great ( although i may have shed a tear or two along the way ) It was so easy to read and i couldnt put it down x
Have just read the 3 books by David Peltzer.
A Boy Called It
The Lost Child
A Man Named Dave

What a life he lead too. Can honestly say these were hard to put down from start to finish.
If anyone has read these books can you recommend any other reads similar to these, or has he written more?
Hi sunseeker, those books are great! Here's a few more to try:-

Just a Boy by Richard McCann. (True story of a stolen childhood)

The Invisible Girl by Peter Barham ( A fathers story of the girl he lost)

Ugly by Constance Briscoe ( True story of a loveless childhood)

Hope you enjoy!...Linda x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.