Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Lagoa Azul
94 Posts
Hi Spottiswoode

Just returned from Lagoa Azul great hotel always stay there. Try Eclipse direct part of first choice group but may be cheaper. Even if First choice and Eclipse are a little bit more expensive than other operators it is well worth it for the extra leg room on the flight.

Joan123
Hi Chris

I asked about the rooms at Lagoa Azul.

A single room is a single not a twin for sole use.

The suites can be on any floor depending on what is available.

Hope this helps

Joan123
Hi ! We have just booked a 3 week trip in February/March.
I read all the reports on this forum and decided the Lagoa Azul was what we are looking for. I know everyone has a different view depending on personal preference and circumstances.However, perhaps someone can give me a clearer picture on
1)How far is it to walk to the nearest decent bar/restaurant ?
2) What are the roads really like to walk on ?
3)Roughly how much is a taxi to Baga ?
4)Being close to water, any mosquito problem ?

Plus any info you have to share is welcome ! We have never been to Goa before, but went ot Kerala last year for the first time. Goa shouldn't be that much different, so we have an idea what to expect.

We have 4 long months to wait, however, more time to savour the future ( and budget !).
Dave, We are off to Goa this Friday and will be staying at the Lagoa Azul, so I'll give a full update on our return, from what I have read (Here on HT :) ) there are several good bars & restaurants in Arpora,(check out some of the posts by Arpora Julie!!) a taxi to Baga is about £1 - bargain eh!. I Haven't been to Goa since 1994!! but i'd imagine the (side) roads are still unpaved. Not sure about the Mozzie situation but I'm sure you'll get some other replies!

I have e mailed the Lagoa Azul several times as we booked direct and they have been very helpful and its looks a really nice place to stay. Have you seen their website http://www.resortlagoa.com
1)How far is it to walk to the nearest decent bar/restaurant ?
2) What are the roads really like to walk on ?
3)Roughly how much is a taxi to Baga ?
4)Being close to water, any mosquito problem ?

There are a few restaurants close by All spice is very popular and about a 5 min walk tops, there are a few bars along the road towards Calungute and a few bars & restaraunts towards Baga beach via the Marinha Dourada road.
The main bar & restaurant area starts at Baga & continues to Calungute with a few gaps, it should be 80 - 100 rupees for a taxi to either of these, you can walk but you need to choose the time as the road can be busy and the drivers ...... eratic, after dark I would not walk unless you were close by as it really dark and there are no footpaths, to walk to Baga It would be about 25-30 mins. The mosquito "problem" is in my opinion exagerated, use a deet spray during the evening especially as its just going dark, use a plug in burner type repelent in your room (available very cheap in Goa) and in our experience you will not be bothered. You may want to search especially on the Mosquito/malaria/anti malaria tablets subject there are many many opinions, so have a read and make you minds up,

This map should give you an idea it shows you hotel:-

map link

Mids
Have a great holiday, look forward to getting the report !!!! Dave
Thanks Mids you have wetted my appetite all the more ! Nigel, All Spice for dinner on Saturday ?! Cheers Dave
Hi Dave.
We stayed at the Lagoa last Feb, what a really nice place, 2 swimming poolsand tidy garden, good rooms with balconies, entertainment every night!!!!, you are situated at a dead end, after the Lagoa is the Baga river.
When you come out of the hotel and turn right just a few yards past the hotel there is a shack, nice food, nice people, and about a 10 minute stroll down the road( 10 mins for me but I am disabled) is the renton manor, had a nice meal there, over the road is Honeys, we had a lot of nice meals there, and around the corner is all spice,lovely meals and very nice people.
The road back to the hotel last year was full of potholes, the Taxis outside the hotel will take you to the hell called Baga for 80 rupees or from the Renton for 50 rupees.
The best hotel we have stayed in while holidaying in Goa.
Danny
Thanks for the info Lynndan, sounds like we are on the same wavelength. I think I chose the right hotel !
Thanks for all the additional info (well done Dave for starting this subject - dead handy for me!) Map is excellent - thanks Mids. Only 3 days left at work :cry: for me. I think it will be All Spice for Dinner on Sat night :glynis (I will post a review of the hotel under "hotel reviews" -obviously!! when we get back)
We've stayed at Lagoa Azul several times over the years and have found it to be one of the better hotels. The nearest bar/restaurant "Sabastians"is only about 50 yds away, it is also a bakery - One of our friends asked how long the freshly baked rolls would be, the reply "They are round, not long". We have had some nice meals there, and Agnelo will serranade you with his guitar if he's not too busy. There are several more restaurants within walking distance, "Starlight", "Honeys" and the nicer "All Spice". In Arpora village there is a very popular bar near the temple, the tables and chairs are outside by roadside, it gets bigger and busier everytime we call and with the "Public Bar" in Calangute is probably the cheapest place for a drink in North Goa. :D :D :D
Hi everyone we stay at the Lagao Azul next April. Will be our first visit to this particular hotel. Does anyone know if there are any particularly good rooms, good size, better views etc , just all the usual stuff! If so I will drop them an email before we travel.
Nigelfoxy...well ? I wait with baited breath,how did it go ?!!!!
We upgrade to a suite direct with the hotel it cost much less than booking with the tour operator. we had a lounge and kitche area and balcony on one floor ane bedroom and bathroom upstairs

The standard rooms are large and airy but do't take one near reception as they are noisy all the time
Davewales - It was FANTASTIC!! - we got back to the UK on Monday Night and I was straight back to work Tues (no Leave left) so haven't had chance to do a review on the hotel yet but i will!!

I'll be honest.. Lagoa Azul is prob one of the better hotels in the Arpora/Baga area but Rooms are still basic by UK standards -- but for Goa, they were really good - very clean, Beds comfy, linen changed every 2/3 days, clean towels every day (& towels for use by the pool)- Breakfast (when we made it!!) was quick and efficient and plenty of choice (though you do have to pay small charge for English B'fast if you want it) The Staff are brilliant - really friendly and helpful.

When we 1st arrived (tired and sweating!! it was 35c when we landed) and drove thru Arpora, then down the winding road (well track!!) to the hotel I was thinking Oh my god! why are we staying here - its in the middle of nowhere!! - but to be honest L.Azul is a little oasis of peace and its only a 5 min taxi Journey (80rupees!) into Baga, you can walk (stroll) up to Arpora in 10 mins where you'll find Honey's Restaurant (v good) and ALL SPICE (excellent!!) we ate at both a few times. I could go on & on!! but if you want to know anything specific just ask!

As for Rooms - we had a suite (which was an extra 500 rupees per night) and worth it as we have 2 kids so they slept in the lounge - but to be honest if there are just two of you the standard rooms are pretty big so not worth the upgrade unless you need loads of space. We were in 316 which had a view of one of the two lovely pools and the lake, but mail the hotel and ask for a Lake View room and you should be ok. Prices for drinks etc are really reasonable and the "Tabla" restaurant was good and again reasonable (though we only ate there once as there are sooo many restaurants in Baga/Calangute etc. Shuttle bus to Baga beach every hour but we used taxi's most of the time as you can go whenever. (look out for Arnold one of the Taxi drivers outside the hotel- we used him to go all over the place and he was honest and reliable - he even lent US money once!!!)

Having said all that we spent very little time at the hotel - we are not really "sitting around the pool people" and our kids loved the beach as there was never a dull moment. We have quite a few photos of the hotel so I'll upload on this site at the weekend (if I can!!) so you can see more of the hotel. Wish we were still there - we are all gutted to be back home.
(when is it you go again??)

sorry for the essay!!

cheers
Nigel
Dave
Meant to say - ref the Mozzie situation, there were quite a few around as it was still quite humid - Lagoa Azul were good though and sprayed the gounds around the hotel several times when we were there. having said that we used the local "odomos" insect repellant (v. cheap and effective) and only got bitten a few times. When in restaurants ask for a mosquito coil to go under the table - that seems to work. Still taking the malaria tablets :cry:
Welcome home Nigel... even if you don't want to be !!!!!
Thanks for an excellent report. Everything you have reported is exactly what we hoped. When we arrived for our first trip to India, Kerela, last February, we wondered what hit us for the first couple of hours...then you're hooked.Pure magic.
We go in mid-Feb for 3 weeks.
We are just two, thanks for the tip on the room. Will try for the lake view !
Did you go on any trips ? I think we will need to go somewhere during the holiday. We enjoy walking, so the fact the hotel is "out of town" is a plus. I have just taken up bird photography ( yeah I know maybe a bit anorakish but I don't care !) so I am hoping to do a bit of that too.
Once again, thanks for the tips.regards Dave
Hi folks - I have read on here somewhere that the rooms near Reception at Lagoa Azul can be noisy. Can anyone please verify this as had originally wanted a room close to Reception but wonder if a Lake View room would be better now :? I will e-mail request to Hotel when I get some responses. Cheers all!
Hi
We stayed at the Lagoa Azul in Februrary this year(lovely place) our room was directly above the reception, from our balcony you overlooked the swimming pool and see the lake, we had no noise at all, go and enjoy.
Danny
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.