Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
LTI Grand Azure *
1176 Posts
Can anyone advise on tipping at the hotel, room staff and bar men etc, I was told to take 50p pieces as small tips ie daily in the room, or is it best to take egypian / dollars. Also at the Airport what is the policy there for baggage handling?
Hotel staff would much prefer to be tipped in Egyptian pounds as it's a real hassle for them to change foreign coins. The hotel will change some sterling for you.

In my experience sterling is now preferred in Egypt to the weak dollar. A lot of shops in Sharm will accept English pounds in direct payment for goods, but make sure you know the current exchange rates!
hi the girlfriend and i were at the resort in november (see many previous posts!) and on the subject of tipping we found it better to tip at the end of the night in the bar (especially if you had been sat at the bar where the service is second to none!) if you are sat in the middle near the piano in the main reception, which is a fair distance from bar, you could end up tipping a different waiter each time....sort of defeats the point really when basically all you are doing is paying him to serve you!!! the way i see it a tip is a reward for good service.....
the lads behind the swim up bars did actually bring drinks to your sun loungers once they got to know you (certainly at waterfalls pool...new pool) and so always idea to keep 10/20/30 egypt in your bag with you for that again at end when you are leaving is best cause what sometimes happens is the others soon cotton on then..well you can imagine!! also i found if you take over with you some cheap t-shirts baseball caps they are well into them as an alternative old unwanted mobiles too!!
the guy who looks after your room is the same too once every few days/end of each week/ or/and at end of stay is greatly appreiciated as well as the t-shirts caps etc

enjoy the place is fantastic

regards
stevie
We are thinking of going here May half term, is anyone else going then?

Cheers

Nicola
Off to the LTI April 28th with Girlfriend for 2 weeks and cant wait to get there. Is there anyone else going around this time?
Also can anyone confirm that there is a swim up bar and that open throughout the whole year as I have been to some places before where they shut for certain periods?
:glynis
Just wanted to say thank you so much for all your info on this hotel. Ive been trying to decide which one to go to for ages (literally) as me and my boyf havent been on holiday for a couple of years and wanted to make it a good one.

All your comments and info have made me feel really assured im booking the right place, and now im really excited.

Thanks for putting the effort in, not many people would do as much as you have.

Cheers!
Well I have finally taken the plunge after reading all the comments here and have booked for two weeks flying out on the 30th May.

Anyone else going then?

Also should I book a taxi from the UK or is it easier to get a taxi at the airport.

Thanks

Nicky
:D
Thanks, how much generally are they and do we have to pay in Egyptian pounds?
Love this site, has been great reading all about Grand Azure. We went December 03 and had an excellent time, we are going back in April and counting the days, can recommend hotel highly - resort setting is paradise and the staff cant do enough for everyone, my parents came back January, after spending christmas there and said it is better than ever since all alterations have finished, is anyone else going in April?
I've booked too :) Gulp! Two weeks with First Choice flying out from LGW on 25th August. We have booked a Junior Suite, whatever that is :lol: The hotel website describes the room as a one bedroom suite with living room but First Choice website says a Junior Suite does not have a separate bedroom :( (blush). Has anyone travelled with First Choice and stayed in the Junior Suites? What colour wristband will be allocated? Are the Junior Suites newly built rooms or part of the original hotel prior to expansion? Where abouts are they situated? Any clarification welcome! Thanks.
8) hi nicolaw....
the taxi's are no more than 60 egyptian pound...and i mean NO MORE!! Yyou of course have to haggle as they will start around the 120 mark so beware , be patient and if they don't budge walk away and they WILL agree to your price, so if you get it for 30/40 or so then that is a good deal!! BUT BEWARE they are not like taxi's in uk as they look and sound like they belong in a scrap yard and the drivers have certainly never read the high way code , but as rule they are plentiful and cheap so sit back and enjoy the ride (i would say buckle up but they don't have any seat belts!!!)
regards
stevie 8)
hi ermintrude!!!

in a nutshell...... i have lots of posts about suites /green wristbands a few pages back
....... they are just a BIG bedroom and ajoining BIG lounge area!!
....... but they put a 'campbed' style bed next to the main bed, so if you are looking for 'quality' time away from little one/s then forget it............

regards
stevie
Hi Juliana

When in April are you going. We are there two weeks from the 11th

Karen
Hi
Thanks for the taxi info.

We too booked a junior suite, just so there is a little more room for a cot and kids bed.

Anyone been here with a baby before and how much shade is there, and is the air con good?

Thanks

Nicky
email address

LTI-Grand Azure Resort

Nabq Bay

Sharm El Sheikh

South Sinai, Egypt

Tel. +20 10 1701020/21/23/25/26

Fax. +20 069 710 140

E-mail: azure@tropicanahotels.com

See web address on page 8

KAREN
Hi, Karen,

We fly out on 17th April, for 2 weeks. Would be great to see you there.

Julianna :lol:
Hi

Anyone whose been to the Grand Azure lately, did I see that they now have an "internet room". Does anyone know is it just an internet room or can I use the computers to download from USB flash drive to upload to MP3 player (love my talking books).

Also anyone going mid April with boys (12 ish) my son is getting worried he'll be the only one, and his Russian isn't that good (lol) :lol:

THANKS
KAREN
Can anyone tell me about the heated pool at the grand azure, last time I went the only heated pool was a very small one inside the gym/massage building. We went early December 03 and the main pools were really cold, have read there is now a heated pool, where is it and will the other pools be freezing in mid-April. Thanks.
Hi all!!

It's been great reading your reports, at first I was extremely worried about the LTI but I am REALLY looking forward to it now!

We'll be flying out for 1 week on the 22nd Sep with First choice from birmingham. Anyone else going out then?!

Can't wait to read some more! (pictures would be totally awesome too!)
Adam
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.