Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
PAPHOS
309 Posts
The Greek spelling of Cyprus, it's Kypros (Κύπρος)

Kezza
one spelling mistake in six isn't bad (for me)
I wasn't criticizing Brian I promise :D

I am learning Greek at the moment and preparing to move out to Cyprus next year, so am just testing myself out, you know.

Sorry if it came across like that!

Kezza x
Where are you learning it Kezza, I was looking to learn the language this year but could find nowhere over here that did classes and I just don't think linguaphone is for me I really wanted a class where I could learn the correct pronounciation
I hope you are aware the Greek Cypriot language is a lot different to what you are trying to learn, I am not trying to put you off but my Cypriot son-in-law took a holiday to the Island of Rhodes last year, and they had a real job understanding his heavy Greek Cypriot accent, he also found it very hard to understand pure Greek, so please remember this when and if you manage to learn pure Greek the Cypriots will be looking at you blankly at times.. :roll:
I'm doing it at the local college, along with a CD/book course. Very hard though! Especially as it's a long time since I was learning at school! I know it'll be all worth it in the end though.

Thanks Jim, I realise that, I also have a very good friend in Cyprus who's helping me, so one day I might get there in the end!

Kezza x
This http://www.bbc.co.uk/languages/greek/ is a good web site for some simple basic Greek.
I know Jim, my parents have lived in napa for years now. I have been trying to learn greek-cypriot and that is why I have been having trouble trying to find a class that will teach me this - all the classes are greek and this is not suitable for me thats why I was asking Kezza I presumed she was learning greek-cypriot
Hi Polar

It's a more round-about way, but my friend there is helping me with the Greek/Greek-Cypriot differences, so hopefully I will get there.

Good luck with yours!

Kezza x
Can anybody tell me if there will still be any bars and restaurants open in november we are thinking of going bed and breakfast so we need somewhere to eat in the evenings. Also will the weather be quite reasonable at that time of year. :D
in a word... Plenty
Hi dollybird,

Yes there will be plenty of bars and restraunts open in November :lol:

The weather can be mixed. I was there last November and we had a right

mixture of everything but also had lots of sun. I did come back with a

tan though so wasn't bad at all :lol:

Helenxx
There will be a good selection of bars / restaurants open and the weather will be better then home
Hope you enjoy your stay there
We are staying at the Imperial for 4 nights while the parents look after the children, a pressie for my hubby's birthday.

Really hoping the sun will shine as we've never ventured to Cyprus before. Does anyone out there know what the weathers like at the moment, as it's looking arther cloudy on the forecast? Hoping to have couple of nice meals, any suggestions as to where please?
The weathers pretty grim at the moment according to "Jimbox" who lives there...see earlier thread... re Cyprus weather

"The Rib Shack"..just down the road from the Imperial serves a good meal.

have a great time...boaz
Hope you have a wonderful time Pam. :kiss

Im sure, whatever the weather, you will enjoy it. With no children for a few days......... who wouldnt! :shock: Sure you will miss them, but make the most of your time togethor.

http://www.coolsmileys.net/affection/pash1.gif

Enjoy yourselves. xxxx
Thanks for the reply Boaz, found the relevant post :)

Shall just have to drink copious amounts of alcohol then if things don't improve.

Thanks for the recommendation, is the Rib Shack easy to find from the hotel and any personal food recommendations?
OOps relies crossed. Me thinking alcohol :glynis , where cormwell is obviously far more romantic :yikes
easy peasy...

out of the Imperial..up to main road turn left...150/200yds Rib Shack on the left. Plenty of other restraunts and bars in easy reach. harbour area about 15 - 20 mins walk in the same direction.

can't remember what we all ate, but the menu was pretty varied, and the food was good.

boaz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.