Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
hi gang off to Nerja for a week ..{sorry but its spain}
fed up driving in this miserable weather need to replenish the sole with a few glasses [or bottles] of red... plese be kind to the girls

brian
N E R J A ????? :yikes :offtop :offtop ! ! ! !

..... Have a good 'un, Brian. :lol: :lol:
I read that Silves council has approved plans to build three luxury hotels and two golf courses in the area of Praia Grande, in the Pera parish. This is the presently unspoiled area to the left of the road as you approach Armacao de Pera from Albufeira.

When completed this will result in almost continuous development all the way from Quinta do Lago along to Senhora da Rocha.

The nature reserves and designated areas will be surrounded and under great pressure.

It's getting more and more like the Costa del Sol every day.

Someone who researched these things from a business perspective told me that 70% of the properties around here are empty 9 months of the year. The local infrastructure has to cope with the peak summer, so we can expect more roads, power lines, more sewage works, more waterworks and more estate agents to deal with this. Not to mention several thousand more cars on the road.

A couple of miles ahead of developers? More like 20 in order to get a breathing space.

Have a nice day.
70% of the properties around here are empty 9 months of the year.

.... This supports my own theory that the vast majority of apartments (and,to a certain extent but not so much,villas) being built and purchased now, are not for full-time residence but are,in fact part of peoples' pension arrangements.The people in question will use them for their personal holidays and rent them out in the main season to help with running costs etc. but, out of season, they will be left empty.Provide that there is a reasonable capital gain come retirement, they will be sold.Problem is that, out of season,these complexes become ghost towns which not only contribute nothing to the ambience,let alone the looks, of their areas, but actually detract from it.Rather than the brightly painted window frames and patterned curtains of the old fishermens' cottages which were demolished to make way for them, these new concrete blocks will present rows upon rows of security-shuttered windows - not a pleasant sight !
Have a nice day.
..... Don't start me off !!!! :wink:
Sagres

I think one of you plan 'B's might be a non starter as well. A few days ago I was reading various reviews and reports of Maderia and many were talking about overdevelopment there as well :( Lots of comments on new hotels going up, and the Lido area being overrun with tourist projects, homes being knocked down and 5*'s being put up in their place, with older hotels now losing their once great sea views as poor planning meaning buildings were put up slap bang in front of them. :(

Seems to be a sign of the times.

Doe
Think you're thinking of someone else, doe;Madeira has never been on our list of possible alternatives. :)
OH ER. Must be going off my trolley. I know someone was mentioning Maderia to me and though it was your good self.

Definately need a holiday :D
Hi Sagres and all who are off to Portugal very soon.......have a great time and raise a glass (or 2) of tinto to me and Mr.42. We are off to Tenerife in the morning (I hope, 'cos it's snowing here in Glasgow!!!) and will have to try the tinto there in order to compare it with the Portuguese stuff........it's a hard life but someone's got to do it :rofl

Sagres, don't you think that the eastern side is worth a look??
Pat
:glynis
Thanks Pat; didn't realise you were going so soon - have a good time.
What's going on with everbody de-camping to Spain ? I think this forum needs a loyalty check, but who's going to organise it ? Not the moderator for a start - he's in b***** Spain as well !! :rofl
Just a little bit warmer in Tenerife at this time of the year!
Have no fear.....we are booked up for our 2 slots next year in Cabanas when it's nice and warm again.
Wouldn't give up on it just yet :lol:
Pat
:glynis
Have a good trip Pat, weatherman I said it would snow up Scotland so you have picked a good time to fly off. Dont get legless comparing the Spanish to Portuguese Vinho Tinto :glynis :fly :glynis Cheers Jayjan
Sagres, regarding increases in Jet 2 flights, we have noticed same but stiill think they are cheaper than Monarch, Firstchoice, etc. I had to change a flight recently from March 2008 to January 2008 and it cost me £40 to change, this as gone up £10 from previous, they just keep adding on with indirect charges. If you want to fly you gotta pay it, much to my disgust. Cheers jayjan
:wave Off to the airport 5 a.m. If anyone else is going away before we get back on the 19th., have a great time and, to anybody who's going for Christmas, all the very best and enjoy your holidays. :)
I'm jealous, gotta keep putting up with the blo-dy rain in the UK till mid January. What a lovely sight to see the coloured festivities, sparklies and snow on the website.Cheers Jayjan
OMG missed Pat's post re off to Tenerife :cry: (I'm off at the weekends though - till Sunday pm that is) Pat I hope you're having a great time :pele
Also have a great time Sagres and Mrs Sagres (though I'm sure you will :wink: )

I'm absconding to Amsterdam from 1st to 5th Jan then Costa Brava 8th to 12th Jan but am booked in Cabanas in July 2008 :pele and Salema 5th October :pele
Have a good holiday Glynis, you have lots of travelling to look forward to next year. Cheers Jayjan
Thanks Jay hope you've got some nice trips planned as well :pele
Oh no. Missed the chance to say Bon voyage to Pat, Sagres and Wizard. Even if two of them have defected to Spain. LOL. :D

Heres hoping they are having a great time. Hope you have a good one as well Glynis. :D

Doe
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.