Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Weather's getting better! Forecasting 20C for the next couple of days but getting cloudier and cooler by the weekend. It was really nice today, very light winds and almost cloudless skies. Needed that beer lunchtime after cycling around taking all them pix!
Anyone out in Albufeira or surrounding from the 21st April to 25th April?. We are meeting at Floyds Bar ( that is me, Roseweb, hubby and friends) on Wednesday 23rd April for the quiz night 10pm start, the more the merrier. Cheers Jayjan
Hi Jayjan,
Wish were out to meet up with you all. We are back in Cabanas 22nd May - 5th June then back 11 - 25th Sept. :sun2
7 weeks and counting..... :rofl
Have a great time and have a wee tinto (or 2) on me :rofl :rofl
Pat
:glynis
Hi Pat, dont need any encouragement with the tinto's, maybe a bottle will be better than a couple ;) . Have a lovely time in May. Cheers Jayjan
have a wee tinto (or 2) on me

... I think Pat meant for me rather than on me !! (...She's Scottish, you know !) ;) :rofl :rofl
No, Sagres, I meant ON me ......'cos I won't be there and she'll have to pay....... :rofl :rofl :rofl
Pat
hi just back from two sun kissed weeks although when we left yesterday it was tipping down !!!
following on from my previous trivia, i have to report that the statue of the chicken (figura de frango)
that will signify that guia is the algarve capital of "chicken piri piri " is still not in it's place of rest in the centre of the roundabout on the en 125 at guia.also my up free up grade on my easy jet flight to speedy boarding plus worked brilliantly, on arrival large queue at normal check in but no one at special check in desk so went straight through ,really painless, if you have the extra cash well worth it.
Chucking it down here in Albufeira this morning by way of a change.
Just hope we havn't got any leaks at the house, I will surely find out when I arrive on the 21st of this month. By the way its lovely and sunny here in Manchester, hubby is taking the advantage and has even stopped the bricklaying of our new garden wall and gone for a game of golf.
Just had a look at the exchange rate for the euro & its showing 1.19, must go and try the local travel agents again who were giving 1.23 last week, if their rate is still the same I shall be getting some more, its looking grim and cant see the rate going up, in fact I think it will go down even more.The Bank Of England are reducing the interest rate today, will that help, or will it make it worse?
April 20th, 9am and he sky is full of showers. It has rained on and off since yesterday afternoon and looks like doing so today.
Arrived back yesterday afternoon, had 5 days of lovely weather, and now back to the rain
Welcome back, jayjan; how long 'til your next fix ?
Good to see you back, Jayjan, hope you had a good time.
3 weeks this Thursday till we go and can't wait :D
Hopefully we will get some nice sunshine :sun2
How did it go at Floyd's?
Pat
Thanks Sagres & Pat. Next fix is not until end of August unfortunately. :(
Had an good night at Floyds Bar Quiz night. There where 6 of us in the team, Roseweb, hubby and their two friends and not forgetting Cubsur, and guess what we won the quiz (quiz name HT United) and a bottle of vinho tinto with the compliments of Perry & Karen. Have a great holiday Pat you'll obviously be in countdown mode. Cheers Jayjan
  • Edited by jayjan 2008-04-27 20:11:32
Hello, yes how did it go at Floyd's, did the H T team win the Quiz? (just seen the answer after I had posted.)
I would also like to remind you that we are on the count down for our holiday, I need to no if there are any good restaurants out of the way in the old town in Lagos, not the tourist one that you see when you first go into the main streets, as I have only 9 weeks to go.
Also how long does it take on the train to get to Faro from Lagos as we have never used it before or would it be better on the bus?

Dave.
Real, Have a great holiday, I'm sure Sagres will be able to answer your questions on restaurants and Cubsur on the trains and buses. Cheers Jayjan
Dave,
Have you tried A Forja (or The Blue Door as it's known colloquially), Fernando's and Christian's Kitchen ? They're all good but not in the middle of the usual tourist haunts. I assume you know of O Galeao !!
Real holidaymaker

The bus from Faro to Lagos takes 2hrs 10 minutes; the train on average 1hr 40 minutes. Bus costs €5.10; train €6.40.

Only two buses Saturdays and Sundays. NB no toilets on the bus.

Timetables etc on my website at http://www.algarvebus.info/002s.htm for the buses; ...006.htm for the trains.

And yes we did win the quiz, by a narrow margin, no thanks to me forgetting the city used on the original US Monopoly Board!
Hello cubsur thanks for the info on the train/bus, look like the train wins plus we have never used it before as most times when we go to the Algarve we have stayed in Albufeira, the sad thing is we won't be able to use the new esculator unless we get the bus as the train station is a bit far out, last is the price you have given one way or return.

Sagres, I have only ever been to Lagos on day trips so never had a chance to look round the back streets for some proper local Tascas/Marisqueiar or Cervejaria's as we used in Lisbon and Cascais and the odd ones in Albufeira. So your help is needed on these matters, I have taken note of the ones you have already given, but more are needed as we have 14 nights to fill although we will always go back to a good one.

Thanks again to you both.
Dave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.