Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Hi,

Myself and my partner will be staying in the Alto da Colina for 2 weeks from the 1st of July.

I was just wondering if generally people recommend hiring a car? And if it is possible to hire a car from the resort instead of collecting from the airport? Approximate distance to the beech and strip on foot?

Also are there any minimum check in times at the resort when u first arrive?

Really looking forward to going.

Thanks for your help.

Can anyone assist?

Many Thanks
We stayed in ADC last year and hired a car for one week of our two week stay. We always have a few days without it at the beginning of our holiday and a few days at the end.

I thought a car was great, it just avoided getting taxis all the time and some nights there was a wait just to ring for a taxi.

We had rented ours before we travelled with http://www.carjet.com. We found Carhire in Portugal more expensive than in Spain and there is a buy out on the insurance.

All the beaches were about a 20 minute walk but it is very hilly in the immediate area of ADC and it was a down hill walk to the beach but the walk back was another thing. I dont know if there was a lot of parking at the beaches.

Hope this helps.
just returned from ADC last week and had a car for 12 of the 14 days there - it's a must ! Did a lot of research / surfing looking for cheapest deals before I went out. The best I could get was at http://www.algarvecarbooking.com They were more than €120 cheaper than the prices I saw quoted by the reps in the hotel. It was the first time I used them and I was very happy - no problems at all. You could try and haggle with them - we also got a free child seat for the duration of the holiday.
They offer a 15% discount for web booking and we got a free upgrade. Give them a try and dont settle for their first offer !
Hope this helps.
weather was raining first 2 days,food not great,too far to walk anywhere in heat,supermarket very expensive,nearest beach small,great rooms,great pools,1st day back today wont go again nothing close by.ok if you just want to stay on sunbed allday.better spanish islands
CANT WAIT TO GO ONLY TWO WEEKS LEFT,IM SURE THE KIDS WILL LOVE IT ,SEEN A LOT MORE POSITIVE WRITE UPS THAN NEGATIVES.CAN ANYONE WHO HAS BEEN TELL ME IF ITS CHEAPER TO BOOK THROUGH THE REPS OR OF YOUR OWN BACK TO GO TO ZOOMARINE,CHEERS[/b]
BRAD 21

Do not post in caps ...... see terms of posting future post may be seleted

wizard
Re ADC: this is not far from my house, and its really not too far from the nightlife, ok walking down to resort but a taxi back is a must, or better still hire a car & see the Algarve.Maria Luisa/Balaia beach may be small but they are beautiful. Peace and tranquillity, wouldnt like to think I couldnt get to sleep when I wanna do being in the thick of the resort with all the noise till early hours of morning, you cant please all of the people all of the time How can someone compare it with the spanish islands at all, its no match.Cheers Jayjan
ibiza playa den bossa is much better as is cyprus and greece.
sorry i had problems getting on to web site, we got back on the 22nd, 4 days of cloud but rest of time red hot. hotel lovely if you have children its the ideal place. supermarket a bit expensive and bar restaurant limited choice of food, friendly staff, abit short staffed sometimes. found some really nice places to eat. it wasnt as bad as benny47 said, carl you only went for a week, it took us a week to get our bearings, then we were sorted. the hotel puts a mini bus service on to take you to the beach, or into town and fetches you back if you dont want to walk. i cant lie it is a fair walk to the main strip, but it didnt but us of we walked a few times with a 3 year old
ok
it was good hotel smiler but resort was rubbish compared to where i,ve been before,glad i only went for a week,booked up already for week in rhodes september
been told zoo marina is rubbish brad by smiler18
I wouldn't say ZooMarine is rubbish, but if you've been somewhere like Seaworld in Florida you'd be dissapointed.

We got our moneys worth in rides for the little one alone.
I must admit it took us a week to get our bearings and then it was time to go home :cry:

I never saw a mini bus to take you to the beach though :?:

We went to Santa Eulalia beach and i didn't think that was small.
There were a couple of daytime cafe bars there and a couple of nice night time restaurants as well (Cafe Atlantique).

I didn't think that much of The Strip, but i think we went too early in the evening, but can recommend Wild and Co just at the very bottom of The Strip as being lovely.
Benny is that your review in the reviews?

If it is, the blonde girl in the supermarket was actually okay once you got to know her.
true i didnt like zoo marina, when you have been to other places and seen so much more, its a big dissapointment, we got a taxi back about 1 clock instead of waiting for the coach at 5pm. you make me laugh carl some of the stuff you come out with
carl you going away again this year cant be bad
found a nice restaurant small but you have to try the steak, go out of the hotel down to the bottom of the hill turn left walk for about 10 minutes its the first restaurant you come to. the cook your steak outside on one of those big griddles, prices reasonable, beautiful its a must
i found the excursions the same price wheather you booked them in the hotel or in the town. but when you change money i found the hotel was not good you got alot better rate in town.
Hi Sarah, only just been able to log on to site. Well, I had a FANTASTIC TIME at Alto da Colina, okay a few days of rain but the hotel couldnt be faulted. Have booked up for 2 weeks next Summer and I NEVER usually go to to the same place twice. I actually enjoyed the walk to the strip, after lying about all day its nice to get a bit of exercise. Ok, if I was single I wouldnt go there, but for kids it is awesome !!! I think all hotel entertainment gets tedious after the first couple of days but if the kids are happy then so am I!!!! Very depressed about being home, spending most days in a dream looking at my holiday photo's !!!!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.