General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Ephasus in Turkey. It was absolutely scorching, the kids were crying because they were bored and too hot :bawl, too many cruise ship visitors with big umbrellas and I just could not appreciate the wonderful history of the place. Would maybe appreciate a visit when it is less busy and cooler to take in the history and ambience of the place, who knows??? :!:
Mount Teide in Tenerife.
We queued for over half an hour, had a horrible journey in the cable car. I got to the top, ignoring lift attendees who told us to take time out and climatise ourselves to the thin air, and shot off to take photos.................then wallop...........when I came too, a german couple were helping me to my feet, hubby was looking frantically for my inhaler and an angry lift attendent coming towards me telling me I was going back down in the next lift. Hubby was not best pleased. I was so dissapointed I didn't get to see the glorious views from the top.
That bl :swear y clock in Prague!

And Praia da Rocha when I saw what was behind the view of the beach they use in the brochures.
Turkish Mud Baths (Dalyan River)
A purpose-built concrete "pool" full of smelly gritty stuff and a very uneven bottom of the pool (which obviously you can't see). The mud was hot because of the blazing sun and on top of everything, I wasn't having the best day because I'd twisted my ankle very badly on some dark stairs with no handrail in the hotel the previous evening and was terrified of slipping again and making it all worse (ankle was the size of my thigh for the rest of the holiday). I doubt very much the mud in these purpose-built "baths" is either cleansing or even clean! :?
just know im going to upset people here but for me it has to the "vatican "in rome . . from the long queue that snakes around the side street for 2 hours to the shuffling through the museums in a long line of thousands and not even a wave from the pope to make it worthwhile. All I saw were the backs of the people shuffling in front. and my b l o o d y feet ached like hell :( I have never ever experienced pain like that from the soles of my feet.

lyn

oh and the yorvik viking centre in york . We love York but that had to be the biggest waste of 30 quid ever. and yes steve im with you on the clock in prague :wink:
The London Dungeon. What's that all about? Queue for two hours to get in an attraction that takes an hour and a half to get round. :evil: And I live in London, goodness knows what tourists think of it.
Kelly Tarltons in Auckland, New Zealand. We had heard that it was a 'must see' attraction and were very disappointed. We have seen much better in the Sea Life Centres and various aquariums and zoos in this country. The best place we have been to was the Loro Park in Tenerife, it was fantastic.
Auckland and the rest of New Zealand however were the most wonderful places we have ever visited
  • Edited by Oklahoma 2008-01-08 18:00:19
Pamukkale in Turkey, we had driven through a snow storm for hours to get there, it was raining when we arrived and what I expected to be sparkling white cascades looked a dirty grey colour. What a disappointment.
Must agree with Oklahoma about New Zealand, I have visited many places but New Zealand beats them all.
I agree with Cazz about Mount Teide in Tenerife..when we went, the weather was awful and all we could see was clouds! We did get some good pictures though of Gav sat at the top above the clouds. Gav was car sick on the drive back to LC..and i must say i nearly joined him..Rob was chucking our hire car round these corners like a rally driver! I felt ill for the rest of the day!

I agree with Lynn about the Jorvik Centre in York..we queued with the kids for almost 2 hours, paid a fortune and it was all over in less than 15 minutes riding round on that silly little cart thing.

I was disappointed with parts of Jerusalem. In fact, i was horrified that parts of the Via de la rosa have been turned into some sort of bazaar market crossed between slums where you get hounded by scruffy locals trying to badger you into buying :swear

The absolute worst was when we visited the Millenium Dome with the school. A kid in Gav's class won a trip and almost the whole school went and of course they needed loads of parents to go too. He was about 8 at the time. What a total rip off. It was chaos, many parts of it were shut, it was badly organised, there were far too few facilities for eating and toileting and we were herded like cattle into some room where we all had to sit on rows and rows of benches. When i saw the cost of the tickets i was mortified, there is no way i would ever have paid to take my family there! Some of it was worth a visit and i remember another parent remarking what an embarressment something as badly organised as this was for the British..i had to agree as if it was in another country i am sure it would have been much better managed. No wonder it lost so much money..it really was apalling.
Caves of Drach in mallorca, qeued for ages, was herded with a million other people so you cant actually see much then being made to sit through a very boring clasical concert! If you were left to your own devises and allowed to see the beauty of the caves it may be worth while and dont get me wrong I love classical music but you couldnt hear it over children in buggies screaming. Also you are not allowed to take photos so they can rob you with the postcards when you get out.

Sally
Madame Tussauds in London .. what a joke, and a very pricey one at that.
Have to agree with Mount Teide Tenerife waste of time and money give it a miss.
I feel that I must put in a word or two in support of Mount Teide. People complain of cloud when they reach the summit - surely this can't have come as a major surprise to them ?- It's a bl***y mountain, and a lot of mountains tend to poke through the clouds at their summits, if they didn't they'd just be hills !!
As for it being a waste of money - it's part of a national park and it's free - how can it possibly be described as a waste of money ??.If you walk to the summit and back down again ( a full day but well worth it,although you'll find the air a little thin the nearer the top you get ), it won't cost you a single euro and you'll get spectacular views for your troubles;only drawback is that, when you reach the summit, you tend to come across a lot of people moaning about it !! :lol:
I hope your running for cover at present Sagres. :rofl
Blue Mountains, Australia. Another place buried in clouds and drizzling with rain as well when I was there. Loved Ayers Rock though and fascinated by the red light district in Kalgoorlie - a dirt road with little 'huts' along it, the doors surrounded by fairy lights and the 'girls' standing outside willing to chat to everyone. :lol: I was only killing time whilst waiting for the Greyhound bus to Adelaide and someone offered to show me round the area.
it's part of a national park and it's free - how can it possibly be described as a waste of money ??.If you walk to the summit and back down again ( a full day but well worth it,although you'll find the air a little thin the nearer the top you get ), it won't cost you a single euro

Don't know when you were last up it but i can assure you its not free you have to pay to get up to it on the cable car and the you have to pay more to go up the final part.
Its only free if you go and stare at it from the ground

:tut
Of course you have to pay to use the cable car.What I said was that if you walk up the mountain, it won't cost you anything*.This was still the case as recently as last November when a friend of mine did exactly that.The footpath leaves the road approximately half a mile beyond the turn off for the cable car station.
(* Not totally true - your legs will be so stiff the following morning that you'll have difficulty making it as far as the hotel bar !! )
We've been disappointed twice when attempting to go up Mount Teide on the cable car. Due to weather conditions it wasn't running either time. And there wouldn't have been any point in walking up either, Sagres, cos the top was in thick cloud! :cry:
The Everglades in Florida. I never saw one single aligator or croc or whatever they are that you are advised you would see due to the noise of the hovercraft thingy scaring them all off, and the flying midgets and tall grasses slapping against your face.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.