Sorry, I nearly missed this. Have a great time Glynis. :sun2 :tup
Glynis, have a great time.... :sun2
Sent you pm.
Pat :love
Same here Glynis have a brill holiday :wave: :sun2
Hope I haven't missed you Glynis.

Have a great holiday!
(The place looks fab! :tup )
As a lot of Portugal forum members will be subscribed to this topic, I thought that this was a good way to let as many members as possible know that H.T. is back online. Perhaps you'd like to do the same in the chat threads of any other forums you use here on H.T.
whats the matter has everyone lost the use of their fingers on this topic, :que too much Sagres or Vinho Tinto/Branco, or have the supplies run dry (Monte Velho) come on guys/gals, I'm sure Pat must still be practising on the Vinho like me. ;)
Oops sorry Jay. Am back and we had a brilliant time in Salema - what a lovely little village.

Our apartment over looked the beach so of a morning with our coffee on the balcony we could watch the fishermen bringing their catch home. Then around 8am the bread van would open that sold fresh bread and croissants. Soon you heard the tooting, signalling the arrival of the fruit and veg man from where my son bought fresh strawberries and cherries for €1.

The resort has about 7 restaurants of which we tried 4 as we kept going back to the same one's due to the food being really nice. There were 2 small bars, one of which stayed open till 2.30am (son sampled a few late nights there) and the nearby hotel's bar stayed open till 2am.

We got out and about as usual in our hire car and revisited Caldes de Monchique for hubby's favourite outdoor oven baked, sausage in a bread roll. We also went to Sand City (Films this year), Slide and Splash (I sat on the grass and didn't slide or splash anywhere), Zoomarine (good day here I enjoyed it), Albufeira old town (son needed shop therapy), Lagos (more snooping round the shops and had to have a big, full of fruit, ice cream). Hubby and I drove to Spain one day to get our ciggies as they are so much cheaper there. Used 1/4 tank diesel so worth it. Went up to Alte as well as it's a cute little village.

Weather was lovely although the first few nights were decidedly chilly with the breeze. Flights with Globespan were fine although they weighed our hand luggage on the way out. We hid it on the way back ie son checked in and we held his bag then he took ours and we checked in - and they weren't bothering weighing hand luggage on the return leg which seemed odd.
Hi Glynis sounds like you were well travelled and had a lovely time. Salema sounds quite sleepy and relaxed. What were the price of ciggies in Spain? I believe they have knocked 1 per cent off the IVA (VAT) in Portugal did it bring the price of ciggies down any? Cheers Jayjan
Hi Jayjan,
Still here and practising like there's no tomorrow ;)
6 weeks today we head to Cabanas and am currently researching where we will be going for our 7 1/2 weeks at New year.....hubby doesnt like to stay in same place!!!!
So thought 1 week with friends, 1 week Montegordo, 1 week Lisbon, maybe 1 week Lagos, a couple of weeks Cabanas and maybe 1 week more inland...still working on it!!!

Yes, it has been quiet here...where is everyone :que
Pat
:glynis
Pat you lucky person 7 and a half weeks hey, so plenty of practice is needed for the marathon holiday.Sat here with a bottle of Pinot Grigo, shudnt be drinkin too much really cos have started havin problems with the old kidneys, but what the hell, lifes too short to worry. Youngest son broke is ankle in 3 places on Saturday jumping about on a trampoline with kids, had to have operation to pin it and put a plate in, hes supposed to be flying out with his wife & family on the 6th September for 2 weeks to our house in Albufeira, just hope he will be able to fly,not sure whether airlines let you fly with a cast & crutches, fingers crossed he can as they both work hard all year round. Right must get back to the Vinho. Take Care Jayjan :wave:
Pat, any room in your case for a little 'un at new Year please? :tup

(As you celebrate your first night back in Portugal in September, I'll be drowning my sorrows there
as it'll be our last night! :cry )

Jayjan, I know it's a different limb but my friends daughter broke her arm a few days before they were due to go to Greece.

The hospital put on a cast that fastened with velcro so she was able to fly.

Maybe something like that could be done for your son?

Or maybe a half cast?

I hope he's ok after his op and will be ok to fly.
Hi Jay ciggies - I smoke Richmond and they were €32 Algarve €24.50 in Spain. Biggest saving was hubbies baccy Amber Leaf €23.50 for 5 packs in Algarve €23.50 for 10 packs Spain :yikes

Jay my husband did the same thing in December - broke his ankle and had to have it pinned and plated. We had to cancel our Amsterdam holiday as, and your son's may be the same, it was none weight baring plaster that they put on. Which obviously meant he had to hop which is very tiring. Your son's hol may be different as he can just sit and chill but obviously the Amsterdam one was more sight seeing so it would have been too much.

If you have a word with the hospital they might suggest a different plaster as I think they do a 'looser' one for flights.
Flown with a cast and crutches a few times (once the morning after a break :( and drove to the airport as well, with autocruise mind you) and no problems. But watch the airport floors if marble or polished. I took a header at Larnaca on arrival but I had taken a few liquid painkillers if you know what I mean :rofl .

Lummie

ps: try and get a fibreglass cast as much lighter and less warm, fills up with sand nicely!
Could you put your foot down though Lummie as I think this may make a difference to the level of awkwardness on the hols?

:rofl @ the sand in the cast
I think its a fibreglass cast they have put on. According to Jet2 website a cast has to be over 48hrs old and you need to fill a medical form in, it isnt explained indepth so thinks he will have to ring Jet2 to find out the procedure. Glynis big difference in price of ciggies in Portugal to Spain, bet your hubby was smiling, quids in when he bought his amber leaf baccy.
  • Edited by jayjan 2008-08-02 23:02:39
ask his doctor for a "FIT TO FLY" letter

wiz
Wiz is that form the same one as the MEDIF form that Jet2 have on their website to download or is it a special letter from the hospital or GP ?
can be either from the hosp or doctor, it must state nature of problem, medication, and the important phrase " in my opinion mr...... is fit to fly"

the doc will properly make a small charge

wiz
I remember many moons ago when I broke my ankle and it was a pain trying to make sure I had an aisle seat on the appropriate side of the train/plan, so that the affected limb could stick out into the corridor as it were - you try folding a leg in plaster under the seat in front.

You can't sit in the row by the emergency exit of course, as you are supposed to be fit and well and be able to assist in an emergency.

Good luck in that!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.