Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Re: lykia world
1440 Posts
Hi
I take your point about the prices but to say it's an all inclusive resort is misleading to others.
It's half board - not all inclusive. People thinking of going need to know that they will have to pay for drinks etc.
Hi Bridd - I have friends going to Lykia World next June. They have been sold this as an all inclusive holiday. They don't have a lot of spare cash, and are certain that everything is included, which is what they were told at the travel agent. My understanding was that they will get drinks with meals here, but all other drinks etc would need to be paid for.

I haven't said anything to them yet, but I would hate for them to have a large bill when they are there when they don't expect it. Can you clarify for me what will be included please?
:wave: Hi,
Your friends shouldn't have been sold the holiday as all-inclusive (unless it was Antayla Lykiaworld).
It is full board plus and you get beer, wine and soft drinks at meal times. There are water stations around, if I remember rightly and there is nothing stopping you popping in just for a drink, while the restaurants are open.

Hard to say how much they will spend. I am sure we only really bought drinks after our evening meal (we are not big drinkers though) and plenty of people would spend a long time on their evening meal drinking.

I am sure they will have a lovely time.
Hi Starry - thinks for that. They have been a couple of times AI to Cancun, so are used to being able to have cocktails etc through the day. I'm not sure whether to warn them or not, but maybe they will be ok just having drinks with meals since they will have their baby with them this time!
Hi guys , you basiclly pay for everything out side of meal times
It is advertised as all inclusive IT IS NOT ADVERTISED AS HALF BOARD
I would say you need at least £150 per week as spends
Crazy golf , snacks, drinks, ice creams, bowling , pool , etc etc
Dont get me wrong this is a great resort just very expensive :)
I have to say I've never seen LW advertised as All Inclusive. Thomas Cook describe it as Half Board as does the hotel's own website. LW Antalya is All Inclusive so perhaps that's caused some confusion.
Ah - there are two of them then :duh I was only aware of the one in Olu -I will check to see if they are going to Antalya. Thank you Bridd.
Thomas cook says in its 2010 11 brochure FULL BOARD PLUS , NOT half board
Also go for the direct transfer we paid £20 for 3 of us in a mini bus the taxi wanted £170 !!!!
Sorry Hawaywego. I mistyped. I meant to type Full Board -- not Half Board in my last post.
Nevertheless, there's a big difference between full board plus and all inclusive. Those bar bills can rack up.
people had some kind of bug , but not from food , i would suggest taking a hand gel and every time youve used the serving spoons use it !!!!
Not everyone has good hygeine here...

This 'bug' does make me wonder as it seems to have been going around LW for some years now, we were there in May 2008 and 3 out of 5 of us were really very very ill with this bug as were many other guests at the same time, reviews i had read before we went had also mentioned this 'bug', in fact I think it was someone on this thread from way back in 2007 had to be tested for a nasty germ only found in dirty water. We are usually pretty healthy so it was unusual for us to be as ill as we were and ironically not one out of the 3 of us has had a stomach bug since LW & we have been abroad and eaten out in all you can eat buffets since then! I'm just surprised that LW haven't had serious complaints about this as it has gone on for so many years. We were also never charged for the consultation or medication when we visited the LW onsite doctor, that in itself was strange, as if they wanted to 'keep it quiet' ???
We loved LW but the fact that this 'bug' is still going around has definitely put us off ever going back unfortunately :(
Coincidentally Twinkletoes, I have noticed that recent Tripadvisor reviews for LW (Olu Deniz) have taken a bit of a nosedive. We are going next year and as I'm very excited, I've been checking the reviews fairly often and they are not quite as positive as they used to be.
Has anyone else noticed this?
Don't get me wrong, I am not unduly concerned as I know that we'll go and have a good time. :) A holiday is what you make it after all! ... and of course you can't please everyone on Tripadvisor.
It would just be a shame if standards were genuinely slipping a bit, especially given how much it costs to go there. There do seem to be common complaints: dicky tummies, ineffective air conditioning, outdated rooms, expensive extras (although I'm quickly losing patience with that particular one!)
What does everyone else think? The recent spate of negative reviews does seem a bit of a coincidence ....
I can't wait anyway though! :cheers
There are a few grumbles in our reviews also:- http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/turkey/dalaman-region/olu-deniz/lykia-world-village-hotel/

If anyone has stayed here recently please add your review via the above link.

Many thanks :cheers
Hi all , the bug thing , we found out may be the swimming pool at the Residence , im not convinced as we played there most days , i personally think its the food serving spoons and not the complex.
The prices are high but everywere seems to be the same at the moment.
the rooms at the Residence cannot be faulted we had room 710 and it was super clean , great view etc
I have stayed at the Village and that was good but the Residence is were everything is and not such a long walk back to your room.
There is a magic card available to use on site , you top it up with 100 euros and Lykia give you 125 euros to spend mainly at the bars etc.
We will be going back next year , please dont be put off by little grumbles , it really is excellent... :)
I won't be put off. Thanks for your reply.

All the same, I wonder if the LW management is aware of the backlash on Tripadvisor. It's all very well to moan on there but nothing constructive will actually get done if nobody formally complains.

As I say, the reviews used to be positive almost without exception. This seems to now have changed a bit.
I had the bug thingy when I came back from Lykia, the other three didn't though. :)
Didnt really have it while I was there though. :think

It's so frustrating as you try and work out what you did/ate/drank that they didn't :rofl

It was annoying but no way would it stop me from going back, if that was what I wanted to do, but my kids seem to have moved on to other things and I dont think its really a place just for two adults although each to their own.

I think the bug's name begins with a G as I researched it at the time.

But it is self limiting in fit adults. Like most of these things the very elderly, very young and I guess those with underlying medical conditions may have problems. But for most it just eventually clears up on its own.

I think anyone who has booked should just go and enjoy themselves and not worry too much, highly unlikely you will get it. I wouold imagine its a peak season problem anyway caused by the sheer volune of people on site, eating and drinking and swimming all in close proximety.

No idea how Lykia could control it really, I would imagine they do all they can by keeping hygiene standards high but with those 40 degree temps in July and Aug must be fighting a difficult battle.

Doe :sun2
Doepsmc the bug began with a C, it was CRYPTOSPORIDIUM, you may remember that now? Found in contaminated water.
My husband actually had the bug (not confirmed as crypto though) while he was there and it cleared up during our last week only to return when we got home, he was really very ill and had a sample taken at our GP but it came back negative. We too have gone over and over what we ate, drank etc and all we could think of was our youngest 2 who were not ill don't eat meat, but of course it's just a case of trying to find something to pin point, it may not have been that at all, but i do feel very strongly that there is something strange about this 'bug', as I have said we have holidayed all over, before LW and since LW and in extreme heat too (tropical heat) and none of us, thankfully, have been ill anywhere else. What I mean is I don't think it's a natural stomach/virus type bug, I do feel something is contaminated. At the time I was happy to fob it off as a bug with there being alot of people in close proximity etc etc but as this is still on going after a few years then it does make me wonder. The Dr onsite must have an incline and as I said in my last post we were never charged for seeing him or for the medication he gave us, has anyone ever been abroad and not been charged for a Doctors time or medication? Unfortunately unless formal complaints are made then nothing will ever be done. When we were there there were far too many other holidaymakers ill with the same symptoms. Incidentally we were there in May, not peak season and not 40 degree temps.
Reading about Giardia it actually sounds very similar to Crypto, but I do remember reading (on here I'm sure) that someone had a test result come back showing she had cryptosporidium, reading about that it kind of fits in with why some of us were ill once we got home as the incubation is anything from 2 to 10 days but usually 7days. It seems that this is a very hardy bacteria and could explain why it has been around for so many years, it seems it is resistant to chlorine bleach & very difficult to kill, I guess LW wouldn't want this to be known so they've been playing it down, ie: no receipt from the doctor = no proof :(
Thats the one Glynis - Giardia - not sure if its a generic term though. Think there was a second word as well - may be a strain of virus'. It was annoying but self limiting, annoying in the sense that you thought you had finally got rid and then three or four days later you would have an upset eventually it just fades fortunatley it didnt really come in to its own until I returned so didnt spoil the holiday.

If large places are running at full capacity in 40 degrees of heat, with people eating all their food and drink on site I guess its virtually impossible to illiminate, without a full shut down for a number of weeks.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.