Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
PMSL - Sept 27th cant come quite enough.
Helloooooooooooooooo Marmaris.

Mary x
Arrived home this morning :cry: We went out to Icmeler on the morning after the bombings in Marmaris.Yes, i we were unsure what to do, do we go, or dont we? Thought of Icmeler and off we went :D 4 hour delay at Manchester but got there in 3 hrs 20mins due to flying on a Jumbo 747.Security ar Manchester was unbelievable,shoes off , frisked :lol: but didnt complain :rofl :rofl When we travelled on the mini bus with ICR we didnt go through Marmaris but what did scare, me was the fact that when the bomb went off it was right outside the MCdonalds we always use when we visit Marmaris. Before we left Manchester i rang home to say we were delayed and when i spoke to our daughter she couldnt even speak because she was crying so much. She had woken up and seen the bombings all over the TV news. i felt so, so sorry for her but when i did get her to calm down i said that no one would have thought that Warrington would get bombed!!!!! Had too text back home every night and family back home were on count down until we returned!!!! I did feel sorry for those back home but NO terrorist is stopping ME from going on holiday.They are just cowardly :swear Most of the Turkish people were disgusted at what had happened.We will return year after year and prove the cowards wrong. Happy hols Anna xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Just thought I'd put my two penneth in !!!

I 've been to Turkey twice in the last 2 years.

In july 2005 we were in Dalaman.Whilst we were there 50+ people were killed by bombs in London in ENGLAND.

In August whilst in Side, 17 people were arrest of trying to create amass slaughter by blowing up passenger jets from ENGLAND.

Tell you what, I feel safer over there than I do over here !!!!

I think we need to take a long look at ourselves before worrying over others.

The amount of gun crime, knifes and violent assaults in this country is increasing at an alarming rate. With our obvious terrorism problem that we currently have ,I think its no more dangerous in Turkey than living here .

I am a patriot and love my country, but not stupid enough to think that everything in the garden is rosy.

Rich
Hi Rich

Very well put. I must say I have to agree with you.

Mary x
I am off to Marmaris tommorow and i cant wait :D
Will have a post up when i get back.....

Maria
oooooh, hate to be controversial :oops: but I'm starting to think back to something JT mentioned a couple of days ago that this thread has ran it's course. The bombings were a terrible thing and will never be forgotten by everyone who holidays or lives in Turkey. The support on this forum has, in my opinion, showed an overwhelming support for our Turkish friends who make their living in the resorts we value so much for our well earned holidays. A few have chose to cancel their holiday and that is their right, they must do what their heart tells them. The vast majority have indicated that nothing will stop them going to Turkey and I for one fall into that catagory. I just feel that the subject should now be closed (but never forgotten) and we should all move on and support our Turkish friends through positive threads with wonderful posts about fabulous holidays. I mean no offence and I simply would urge everyone to think positive about Turkey and through their positive thoughts and actions they will send out a message to the PKK that we will return no matter what.

Wilson :wink:
I totally agree. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I second that too! Already booked for next year and looking forward to it !
Laurence
Sounds like you would be better off re-locating to Turkey Bigrich if you feel its so dangerous here in England.
No thanks,

I like going for my holidays , but Im English and live in England.....

I firmly believe that we live in one of the best countries in the world, but it would be silly of me too think we are perfect.....That job is already taken by the Americans !!!!!

Rich
hi we have just come back from marmaris,and were also worried about going,we had a great week with no worries or troubles,security is very tight and there was a large police presence which made us feel of ease,the only advice we were given was to stay off the dolmus of an evening,(taxis cheap enough anyway)and to stay away from the public markets,these are probably high risk areas,other than that we had a brilliant week.
if you are looking for a good meal out and good value for money check out a place called the first rainbow,its up the side street on the right hand side from the taj mahal indian,you,ll get hassled to go in every restaurant you walk past,we tryed loads but found this the best by far. 8)
Just returned home on Saturday 9th September, after 2 fabulous weeks at Club Atrium Apts. My wife and I, and my daughter and her fiancee, were all sitting in the September Bar when one of the waiters informed us of the bombings. My wifes first reaction was to say she wanted to go home immediately on the first available flight. However, we managed to talk her out of it, and we went on to have a fabulous time. It obviously made us more cautious, and the Dolmus was a total No-No when we wanted to go anywhere. Taxis are so cheap anyways. Around 5 lira from Club Atrium, to main street Marmaris. Sadly, terrorism seems to be a regular thing nowadays, but if we all stopped going on holiday because of it, then we will have given in to the terrorists, and they will have won. Personally, it won`t stop me from booking again for next August. Marmaris and it`s people are lovely, and I intend to enjoy it whenever possible. All you people due to fly out there now. Have a lovely time.
I do agree with most of you, who are saying you'll keep returning to Turkey, as you have a wonderful time there, its like a second home etc etc.
But aren't we preaching to the converted a bit here? I mean, most of us here on this forum have already been to Turkey on holiday and realised what a lovely place it is, and how friendly the people are.

Unfortunately, I do still feel that for those potential tourists to Turkey who haven't already been, the recent bombings in tourist resorts will put them off booking, and they'll spend their holiday (and their hard-earned cash) elsewhere.

Elaine
Yes I agree completely Elaine, I think most people given the choice, if they are weighing up between 2 different destinations, and have no personal knowledge of either, would be unlikely to choose the one that they have only seen on the TV, on a news report of a bomb. Unfortunately I think next year will probably be even worse than this year - but I hope I'm wrong. One positive from this - the taxi drivers are probably earning quite well, so they and their families should have improved fortunes to keep them going over the winter.
Another bomb has gone off in Turkey although not on the coast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/5340408.stm
my sister ,friend and i arrived home last night from marmaris and had a great time as always.thats our tenth time there. we were going to cancel as we had to fly a week after the bomb and i must admit was a bit frightend about going but so glad we went, we never gave it much thought when we got ther e as we were too busy having a ball. :lol:
Does anyone know how we would stand if we wanted to cancel at this late stage (or transfer to another resort?) We are due to travel with Thomas Cook on sunday 17th, to Side, but i am having major panic attacks as is our firsdst holiday without the kids.....and \i am so stressed at the thought of going somewhere there are known to be risks.....has anyone on here tried to amend their bookings??????
Speedy responses appreciated!
why would you change......side has never had any problems........... how safe are you anywhere? just watched a programme on the anniversary of the twin towers....puts life into perspective.The pkk are NOT al qaeda.enjoy your holiday.side is a beautiful place
Because I am leaving my 12 year old son being looked after by his 25 year old sister, and my 22 year old son is with his girlfriend having my first grandchildren (twins!!!)......hard enough to leave them alone....but with the worries of the bombings....much worse!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.