Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
The point is Alex that nowhere is "safe". Just because you are not going to a major resort doesn't automatically mean Sarigerme might not be a future target.

I am not trying to ridicule your or other peoples fears about the situation but I've just been to London today for work and travelled the routes of the July bombings last year, visited the heart of the City devastated by the IRA and so it goes on. I've also visited Birmingham, Guildford and Belfast all scenes of atrocious attacks in the past. If the government are to believed the UK has recently escaped a major bombing campaign by Al Quida. Terrorism is not a Turkish phenomina it is unfortunately a world wide problem.

I for one have taken advantage of the situation and booked a cheap week in Olu Deniz in October¬
hi, came back from turkey the beginning of the month, as are looking at what is on offer for next year, why should we let such behaviour off those who have no respect for other peope ruin places like turkey.
the way things are we have just as much chance here in the UK that places are bombed, don't let idiots ruin the lovely place we all love to visit,
Jblondi, sure your boyfriend doesn't support these terrorists. However i don't think the Kurds do a lot to help tourism in Turkey. We have been going to Marmaris for years and met the most fantastic people who can't do enough for you.However last year every rude waiter we met were Kurds!!! my husband refused to go back but i persuaded him this year but if things are the same my husband will never go back to Marmaris
well you must of just come across some of the bad waiters.In Icmeler where i go and i lived last year,i have come across more kurdish people working in bars and resturants than turkish people and they are such lovely people thats why there are so many Icmeler lovers on this site its these guys that help make your holiday a good one!!.I just think a lot of the times the decent kurdish guys get a bad name for sad people like these terrorists,when infact there such lovely people.To us we wouldnt think there was a difference between turks and kurds,but they do its like us scottish and the english. :D
To us we wouldnt think there was a difference between turks and kurds,but they do its like us scottish and the english

i think it runs a little deeper than this. Several Turks would not do business with Kurds.There general feeling runs a little higher than banter across hadrians wall.
yes i know its a bit different than that.All im trying to say is that not ALL kurdish people are the same as those bad ones!!!i dont want this to start as a debate just saying we cant tar all kurdish people with the same brush!!! :D
Sorry but all the rude money grabbing waiters we met had earlier told us they were Kurdish!!
To be honest reading all of these postings is just making my blood boil.....as someone mentioned in an earlier thread all countries are full of good and bad....
England and Ireland have suffered greatly through terrorist attacks over the years and very few people fully understand why....somewhere along the line I even believe the true reason has become muddled.....but we do not stop travelling to these places...so why stop going to Turkey????
...I have my own ideas.....it is a country and a way of life to a degree many people do not understand.....when bad things happen when we are abroad we also feel more vulnerable.....foreign country...foreign ways....foreign language...but surely then it makes it harder to accept when these things happen at home??? We should feel safe in our own homes...our own work places and on our own transport.....should we not??!!
...some people cause terror because they have a cause they are fighting for....others because they just like to cause terror....all in my opinion are wrong!

let's remember why we come on here....it's to chat about that wonderful place...full of great people where we all have fab times.....I am not going there this year for one reason or another but you can bet your bottom dollar I'll be there next year!!!!

A bomb landing on my own doorstep wouldn't stop me!!!

Stay safe and Happy Holidays

DB xxxxxx :ghug
Well said Detoxbirdy :!: we should'nt have to get in between their political warfare, we are only tourists afterall. if you want to go to Turkey go if you are worried about the recent events don't. We for one will be going on September 15th as we have for the last 15 years :lol:

Regarding Kurdish people, we have met some good and some bad. On Marmaris market last year we met a Turkish guy selling cold drinks who claimed he was a tourist policeman undercover as apparently the Turks are not allowed to sell anything over a certain price(don't know how true this is) and he said the Kurds come into the Country with nothing then rip off all the tourists with daft prices and the next thing they have houses and cars. As i said i don't know how genuine this was as he was supposed to be undercover and told us :lol:
Hi everyone

I have being looking through this site for the last week as I am going to turkey for the first time on sunday and am a bit worried. There are four irish girls going and after a bit of apprehension after the bombs in marmaris we decided to go ahead . When the bomb went off in antalaya(sp) we got a little more anxious and checked our options of which there are none, either go or lose our money .

Anyway we have decided to go ahead to Gumbet and most people are saying that we should be fine there as it is away from the attacks but I think marmaris would be far safer now ! Well we're not going to let complete strangers dictate our lives . I'm sure they believe they have a legitimate cause but I just wish they could see it in perspective . In N Ireland there has being a massive initative to explore the other cultures with great results . At the end of the day I have lived through bombs on my island and have never contemplated moving or changing my life to suit extremists . I just wonder how these terrorists would feel if it was their mother, father, brother, sister or loved one being blown up . People have to get back to the basics and see how their actions are affecting the world . A life is worth is worth way more than any piece of land .

Very sorry for getting so serious ...hopefully a week in gumbet will lighten me up !!! Take care
i have come across more kurdish people working in bars and resturants than turkish people and they are such lovely people

i do not agree with that point. The bars/restraurant owners r lots of them Kurdish. They are giving job to other Kurdish guys. Marmaris was big money potential for PKK. This summer season wasnt good. PKK didnt get anymore money from Marmaris. PKK is controling these Kurdish business mens and staffs in Marmaris. If these ppls dont give money or support PKK when they gone back to hometown(eastside of Turkey) they are getting troubles there.

al321 it is same in Marmaris. It is all giving a bad name to Turks on the world and scare tourists to not come to Turkey and damaging Turkish economy. It is all organised stuffs from PKK.

Yes we cant say %100 Kurdish peoples are bad. There are some genuie ones but you can count them in Marmaris with fingers.
i too have seen what you saying lilcheekymonkey,we have a turkish friend who this year took on a kurdish partner in his bar/resturant,in may a few of the old staff had gone ,in july all had gone and were replaced by co partners brothers ,uncles ,nephews ect,our friend knows now that he has made a big mistake albeit to late,our friend is a broken man now and lost control of his business so to say ,we are off on thursday to visit him again to give him 2 weeks of our time and try and cheer him up a little and no one is going to stop us :lol:
Ladyjan, hope it's not all bad news for your Turkish friend. I too will be spending my money 3 weeks today
i booked with excel and was due to go to turkey on monday 4th sept. I have cancelled and cannot beleive people will go and enjoy their holiday. everyone will be staying around the hotel top afraid to go out. that is not what i want out of my holiday. Excel holidays were very rude and would not offer any alternative like other tour operators so think twice before booking with them.they might be cheap but have no customer relations skills .I have lost my 500 pounds but me and my family have peace of mind and would like to hear any other comments on cancellations. thanks.
Sorry you have had to cancel your holiday we went to Turkey in August and i would still go now.....these awful things happen everywhere including the UK but everyone has to make the best choice for there families.
I dont think the tour operator is obliged to offer you anything else unless the foreign office advise against travelling to that particular country so there normal procedue for changing or cancelling would apply.....no excuse for rudeness thou!
Hope you find another holiday somewhere you feel happy with :D

Vicky
smed...who told you that EVERYONE will be too afraid to leave their hotel??? :roll: and why can't you believe that people wont enjoy their holiday....i know that plenty will 'including myself next week... :fly
I agree WakiRaki (good user name by the way!). 10 more sleeps to my hols to marmaris and I'm as excited as ever! ahhh... a nice cold efe's in a lovely bar overlooking the sea... mmm can't wait!

love nikki xx
terrorists 1......smed 0 ........ trust me marmaris is still buzzing and workers, residents and tourists have stuck 2 fingers up to the PKK and carried on.... is there an alternative apart from living in a cave?????
smed from what I understand there was only ever one tour operator out of the Uk who were offering alternatives to already-booked Turkish holidays, and that turned out to be only for one day or so, right after the bombing in Marmaris on Sunday.
As the Foreign Office have not said its too dangerous to be in Turkey for British citizens, the Tour Operators are still flying there, and still selling holidays there.
So there would be no valid reason for excel, or any other flight/tour company, to refund cancelled flights or transfer you free of charge to another destination.

Elaine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.