Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi everyone.
things in marmaris going back to normal. i was out yesterday and saw that places are quiter than usual. holiday makers are a bit worried with the events. but tonight it was more likely to normal. i do repping in marmaris and have been talking to my guest. some of them are staying away of using dolmushes.
i saw the picture of person who is the main suspicious of the events today in a hotel managers office. it means that everybody is seeking to find people who are suspicious.
there are more police and security forces around but they are not disturbing holiday makers.
Last night i was due to do a airport transfer and on the way we were stopped by polices. they had a look in the bus and only they asked me and the driver to present our ID cards.
i m pretty sure in a few days time everytinh will be ok and worries will left place to enjoyment.
For those who are not sure cancel or not... as a local Turkish person i don't see a point to cancel.
i respect your choice.

Best Regards,
Mesut Caliskan
Marmaris/TURKEY
me and my friend are due to fly out on the 28th sept... never been to turkey befor, but i certainly wont let this kind of scum ruin my holiday :roll: ive been saving so hard all year, been told by many people that this place is lovely.... and oh boy, im going there! :lol:
We still intend to go to Turkey next year.

What has happened with the bombs in Turkey this year will certainly not put us off.

I lost my ex-husband in the Twin Towers on 9/11 who could have known what was going to happen on that terrible day. It can happen anywhere. We can't put our lives on hold because of these people.

I love Turkey and now class it as my second home. We have many friends out there now which we have made over the last few years and look forward to seeing them.

Only problems I have now is trying to make my mind up where to stay.
Having just returned from Icmeler last week I am already looking at booking for next year. Recent events will not put me off. As my husband pointed out we have lived in Belfast for 30 years and never once thought of leaving! (except maybe to live in Turkey!!). Everybody has to make their own decision as to whether they are happy to go or not (just a few months ago I remember similar panic on this site when bird flu hit Turkey and then too I think it was up to the individual to make their decision). I would not hesitate to travel in the next few days although I would urge extra vigilance. Taxis are so cheap in Turkey that I think for the sake of an extra few pounds over the week or fortnight (if you count it up that is really all it will be - one taxi driver took us from Icmeler to Marmaris for 10 lira) you could avoid the dolmus if it makes you feel safer.
Hey Jojo:PP Yeah the prices to turkey have all gone down after this I saw this on Thomas cook 89 Pounds for 2 weeks in marmaris !!! shocking I am Also Flying from teeside the week after you Are you on a pegasus flight There realy scruffy Lmaoo But Its like a night flight so hopefully the kids will sleep!!!

I have just costed that holiday, price quoted is £89 but the total for 2 adults is £439 :shock: it's not as good as it looks

chazy x
In my opinion terrorism is a threat to every country. It would not put me off visiting turkey. The only thing that would is if there was civil unrest or support for the terrorists. Why should Turkey have to suffer?

Why be so afraid of Turkey when there is huge threat of terrorism in the UK? These UK terrorists are not foreign but your own homegrown brand of British terrorists! Why aren t you afraid to be in the UK then? Therefore, should tourists be afraid of visting the UK? I know I am not.

I had a cousin who wouldn t dream of going to Egypt because he was afraid yet went to London without a second thought and was there for the bombings. Theres no point putting your head in the sand but terrorism is everywhere. Unless there is actual support for the terrorists and civil unrest that would not stop me going to any country. Nearly every country in Europe has some sort of risk.
Its up to the individual at the end of the day to decide whats right for themselves!
Hey Chaz Hmm in know once you payed the Taxes and What have you Lol But it will have gonbe down though were as that hiliday i think was about 235 Before if im right that would work out to be about 800 Atleastor something like that Lol
It wouldn't put me off at all.

I love Turkey and think the Turkish people are great. I spoke to my friend just after it happened, thankfully they were all fine.

I've already booked for 2007 and where we stay is extremly close to where the dolmus was. It doesn't bother me at all about going or using the dolmus. With regards to the airport, it seems very secur anyway with it being military.

For me & my family, it will be enjoy our holiday as normal. I really hope this doesn't damage the tourism to Turkey even more.
I think it will damage the tourism trade in Turkey though.
As has been said before, folk who have already holidayed in Turkey and love it, will not necessarily be put off by bombs going off in resorts, or the threats of more to come.
But for those people who have not already been to Turkey on holiday, its less likely they will book for Turkey now, due to all this unrest. They will go to another country like Greece for example, where there are currently no reports of terrorist bombings.

I do agree with those of who have said that until the Foreign Office tell you its too dangerous to go, you've booked and you're going, and you'll have a great time. I would be doing that too in your situation. But would I book a late deal to Turkey for me and my family, right now? No, personally I would not.

Elaine
I agree with you Elaine. I think people who have been will still go and possibly re-book for other years. But if you haven't been, when you walk in to a travel agents or look on-line you are spoilt for choice, its a buyers market. It is as you say just as easy to book for Greece, Algarve, Italy etc :?
Just wanted to say, I had to paractically drag my friend kicking and screaming (!) to Icmeler last year as we travelled just a week after the bombings. And Iam so glad I did we had the best 2 weeks of our lives and did not give the threat a second thought when we were there because we were having too much fun. :lol: Iam not saying dont be careful but you are probably more at risk in London or Birmingham at the moment than you are in Turkey. I hope anyone travellng to Turkey in the near future has a brilliant holiday because that is the only way that these people will be beaten.
Another Bombing AHHH :(((
Where's this one?
Another Bombing AHHH

What, where? Can't find anything on news sites.
Sky News have it as a place called, Mersin, which I beleive is a turkish Port on the Med coast. This sound insensitive, but I was worried is was going to be Olu Deniz because of what someone posted the other day.
I found it, searched Mersin on Sky News site. Seems there was a hand grenade went off there in June.

This is all so sad, I really feel for the Turkish people and of course all the non-turkish who have been involved. :(
The latest Bomb ? and it has not been confirmed as one happened in a Litter Bin in Turkeys southern coast in Mercin.It's a large Port and initial reports state that one person has been injured.For those in the UK I think you can find it on SKY NEWS or it's Web Site.

Ian
has this just happened or is it something that happened a few mnths ago ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.