Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Absolutely Prawn, have a great time :lol:
...anyone has a right to decide on whether they travel or not but for any of you who have concerns....I WOULD TRAVEL!!!

..The first time I went to Turkey Sadam invaded Kuwait whilst I was there...not a problem....the Turks where more concerned than us and turned to my Dad for advice.....

..I have travelled to Alanya for the last 8 years...2 or 3 times a year and during this time bombs have gone off in a number of resorts most summers.....one last year in Manavgat which is very close to Alanya...I still went there twice!

When the 2nd Gulf War started I had already booked a holiday to Alanya... I warned my Mum that the only way I wouldn't go would be if they cancelled the flight...and even then I would try and get a schedule flight......if it wasn't safe to travel the tour operators would not let you go....we had a trip planned to Tunisia in 1991 and they cancelled our holiday even though the war had ended.....

...just go and enjoy and don't let them win!!!

DB xxxx
a nice cold efe's in a lovely bar overlooking the sea... mmm can't wait!

you meant efe or efes ? efe mean is Braveheart guy ;) just kidding nikki
no one is scared to walk around here, i was in marmarıs the night it happened and also 2 days later. it was very busy and no one was scared to be out or use the dolmus.
Whoooooooooooops! Sorry lilcheekymonkey! My turkish isn't up to scratch! I definately meant efes as in the lush cool beer.

9 sleeps yipeeeeeee! So excited now. I'm gunna get my cases out this weekend. How's the weather on an evening? Will I need a jacket?

Thanks!

Love Nikki xx
SMED

I was also booked up to go on september the 4th with excel and my family also hought thought we would not have much of a holiday if we went to marmaris .

So we rang excel to see if they would help in anyway and found them very rude .

The only option they offered us was to go somewhere else but we would have to pay some charges and what ever the difference was so we ended up paying £130 pounds each on top of what we had allready paid so we paid and extra £900 pounds to go to lanzarote somewhere i didnt really want to go .

I will be writing a letter to excel to tell them how terrible i think there company is but i dont think it will get me far but i feel i have to do something .

Sorry your not going to get your holiday .

I will never booked with excel again ethier .
everyone is different and i value my life more than an holiday in turkey. i have booked another holiday anyway and im sure lots of people feeel like me afraid and it is my choice.
smed what a shame you thought you needed to cancell youre holiday,hope you find some were that can guarentee you a 100% safe holiday,if there is such a place.i would worry more about my children going to spain or likes due to recent deaths from idiots with knives or drunken fights leading to death, but every one has a right to their own opinion.i wonder how many people who cancelled this years holiday to turkey due to bird flu last year where kicking thereselves when it was safe and then ended up in france and threatend the uk :shock: wonder whos cancelled holiday we got at a very cheap price ,,leaving thursday :lol: i for one will not bow down to bully boy tactics and i think alot more turkey lovers will take the same stand.after all we all have to get on a flight to get thses places to start with but thats another story,to all leaving soon for marmaris have fun enjoy the sun and hospitality,be vigilant and we will be looking forward to youre reports when you return,dont let those (peach) (cant do the turkish translation :lol: )spoil youre holidayxxxx jan
Hi Smed :D

I hope you have a good holiday wherever you choose to go next. It is quite right that if you are not happy with where you are going and do not feel safe that you make your decision accordingly. It is your family you have to consider and your right to decide.

I am sure you posted on this site to receive a little support rather than being brow beaten into feeling you have done the wrong thing for you and your family. After all nobody takes the decision to lose 500quid lightly. Sometimes it amazes me that we ever manage to keep new members on this site without frightening them away.
Enjoy your holidays no one can tell you what to choose for your holiday and what you consider to be safe. only you can ever make that choice, i lıve in ıcmeler and go to marmaris regular year round the ony time i ever feel unsafe is when i come home for a holiday to englandfor a couple of weeks. That is my choice, and the way i feel.i feel for you that you have lost money through all of thıs but then so have and so wll many turks here, when the terroists win and scare away tourism all because they want to blackmail the goverment in to freeing a very dangerous man from jail.who we regard here to be on parr with saddam huessiyn.
We will not let the terriosist win and neither will the goverment.
smed i hope you will recobsider turkey for another time as it would be shame to miss a place i think you would enjoy.

To everyone no matter where you go in this world stay safe and be vigilant but more than anything enjoy your time the way you want to, dont let anyone dıctate the way you live your life
We went to altinkum this year ,and soon as we got back booked up for marmaris next year.We have been to marmaris a few times ,and love the place.Bombings or no bombings were still going.As i told a mate of mine you could be any were in the world and a bomb goes off.We have never even thought of changing our holiday for next year.Only way we would consider changing is if we were advised to by the holiday company or government.So watch out marmaris here we come :D

Helllooooooooooooooooo from the northeast.
i too value my life and thats why im living it to the fullest, my husband is disabled and every treatment he recieves could be his last , i also was close to death a few years ago with 4 small children, to me the terrorists are the least of my worries, i have more at home :lol: our holidays are our salvation, but our situation is different from most others ,ive faced death in the face before and now have a different out look on life,so marmaris here we come again ,in another week or so this will be old news that we will push to the back of our minds for a while .unfortunatley the turkish business men and workers cant and need our support to survive.happy holidays every one where ever you maybe going xxxjan
:idea: Last year before i went to icmeler a bomb went of in kudagasi but it didnt put me off going then or this year.

Could these bombs have planted on a particular day i think it was the 28th the reason that is on the sunday there was no flags when we got up
sun morning hotels and bars were festuned with the national flag,
This apparently is to remember like we do in the uk the 11th of November remberance day or VE day because that evening the bombs were set off?? this is just a thought but it seems a bit of a coincidence....
Hi smed,

On page three, I wrote two pieces, the second of which could well apply to you. Please don't feel that you've been brow beaten by those of us who have decided to stick two fingers up. Many of us are staunch lovers of Turkey and we want to do our bit for its economy. Down the years, firm friendships have been forged and the Turkish people don't forget. They may not remember your name but they certainly don't forget the faces of people who have shown them kindness in the past. You have my respect for the tough decision you had to make, I am just sorry that your Tour Operator didn't share your views. Wishing you good luck and have a happy holiday when it happens.

My wife picked up our tickets on thursday in readiness for our trip to Kusadasi on 14th Sept. For us, this is more than just a holiday as for the past twelve months, we have been pricing up property in different areas of Turkey with a view to possibly retiring out here at a later date. So we are taking holidays in different areas to see if we like them. Icmeler is favourite with Kalkan(had it been in a flat area) a very close second. Add to this that my wife wants to go and spend some more time at Ephesus and Pammukalae.

On monday morning, I have got to take a 44 Tonne lorry through Holborn and Aldgate, the scenes of 7/7, now to me, this is going to be more scary than going to Turkey. My eyes are going to be working overtime and I won't be sorry to be departing from these areas once i've made my delivery.

Les
Well said Les :D

I do feel a little sorry for the peeps that come on here sometimes, it can come across as we don't take anyone elses views in account, I don't think that is always true it's just that peeps here love Turkey and feel special bonds with the place and people.

After last years holiday I could have very easily never returned to Turkey, everything went wrong from the min we set off. Five days into our holiday from hell {money stolen, hotel staff abusive, changed hotels after 3 days ect} myself and my sister were asked by the CID to return home, my 19 year old neice was missing, she was found murdered 3 weeks after our return. So as you can imagine it would have been very easy never to have returned to Turkey with all the memories associated with last years holiday. However, both myself and my sister did return this year and had a lovely holiday and are going back again this month. Sorry, I know this is off topic but I just wanted to say that dreadful things happen everywhere in the world, I will not let these things get the better of me but I do understand why people are worried and I do think everyone should do what's right for them as we did what was right for us :D

chazy x
Smed, i'm sorry if you think you have been brow beaten but unless i am mistaken most people have said it was really up to you if you cancelled and wished you well on your next holiday? I will continue with my holiday to Marmaris, as i have said before not to put 2 fingers up at the terrorists but i want to live my life. Nowhere is safe. We have troubles at home. Tsunamis, bombs and earthquakes in other parts of the world etc. Life offers no guarantees and when your time is up it doesn't matter where in the world you are!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D Chazzy so sorry to hear about your last years holiday and the death off your niece.

I to have a simaler story

In July this year i was in Marmaris with my 16yr old daughter my two 2yrs twin grand daughters (my eldest sons) not 16yrs daughters :D

Also my sister and her boyfriend

Four days into the holiday our mum died while we were away

On our return home my sister has made my and my hubby life total hell

We booked a holiday last year to go to Kussadasi on the 21st sept this year two weeks A/I myself my hubby and young daughter

Also my sister and her boyfriend

Because off the trouble my sister and her boyfriend have caused
we are not going away with them.

And we can not claim anything back from travel agents as its our choice not to go we have just lost £1500 nearly.

My self and hubby have just booked up to go to Marmaris just for a week in 2 weeks time.

People are saying to us we must be mad not going on a 5star A/I holiday and going to were a bomb has just gone off

But i know deep in my heart we will enjoy Mrmaris 100% rather than go to Kussadasi with some one who will make our lives totally hell.

So Marmaris here we come nothing is putting us off

This is mine and my hubby first ever holiday on our own no kids no grandkids :D

I know its going to feel very strange with no kids etc but we are just going to relax and spend quailty time together after alkl the upset we have had to cope with over the last few weeks.

Take Care everyone and dont let the bombs put you off going

All you first timers to Marmaris/ Icmeler will be hooked once you pluck up the courage to go

Take Care once again

Marion and Family xx
I have just spoken to a friend in Icmeler who was due 4 rooms in last nite and only 1 arrived. I just find that really sad, the plane will need to fall out of the sky with me on it before I dont make it lol :D
smed - I am sorry if you thought I was having a 'go' at you! I wasn't. I fully understand that everyone has different priorities in life and we all have to make decisions that we know are right at the time. All I meant was that, having decided to go to Turkey, we would not be staying in the hotel but carrying on as we always have. Wherever you decide to go I truly hope that you have wonderful holiday. Lots of love. :kiss
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.