General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Has anyone used Calypso sun care protective dry oil gel SPF15 before?

I bought a bottle to try out, I used it today in the UK and my face legs and arm are really burnt, you could fry an egg on my face LOL.

I don't think i'll use it when I go Egypt :rofl

I am quite fair skinned but I tan really well, I don't usually use sun cream, when I was younger I used to use baby oil or SPF 2 but I don't do that anymore, I haven't been anywhere hot enough to bother with sun cream, yes I know the risks of cancer so I will start using sun cream, hopefully the damage hasn't been done yet.

On monday I was using SPF 20 and I had no colour change

What factor should I use and what brands?
Hi Mi$$y

If you are fair, my suggestion would be to use a higher sun factor than 20 my son is fair and starts with 35 and as he becomes accustomed with the sun, he drops down to 15-20. I know I am probably going to be unpopular for saying so, but I would rather have a higher SPF due to the increasing risk of skin damage etc,
Mi$$y wrote:
What factor should I use and what brands?
I would always start with a high SPF and work your way down as the holiday goes along. Better to be protected and build up a gradual colour, than to burn on the first day and be too uncomfortable for the sun for the rest of the holiday.
As for brands, that's entirely down to personal taste - some people would never touch the cheaper brands - I have used various brands ranging from Piz Buin down to Tesco Value and found no differences between any of them. The sun has been very strong at home the last few days and I felt "prickly" wearing a SPF20 in the garden for an hour even though I have some "colour" leftover from my Easter holiday - we may not see much sunshine here, but when we do, it certainly knows how to turn up the heat!
:think sun tan lotion with a hint of tanning lotion in???, has anyone any suggestions, thought it would be a good idea to cheat a bit at the begininng of my holiday ;) !!!
Thanks for the advice cyberspacekadette & Miss Pink

Ive got another question

Ive been looking at the Banana boat lotions an ive noticed that alot of them come in a pressurized container, are you allowed to pack these in your suitcase?.
Hi Mi$$y

I don't know for sure, I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I can't see a problem with carrying in the hold, afterall most of us use aerosol de-odorants and the like. Maybe to be sure check with the travel agent/air line

:cheers
Mi$$y wrote:
Ive been looking at the Banana boat lotions an ive noticed that alot of them come in a pressurized container, are you allowed to pack these in your suitcase?.
No problem - it's just the same as hairspray, deodorant etc. The security rules mean you can't take any liquids in your hand luggage so you have to put them in your suitcase anyway.
Thank you for the replies

So far I have bought;

Hawaiian Tropic ozone sport SPF 30+
Piz Buin 1 Day Long Lotion SPF 15
Avon bronze kids sun cream SPF 30
Piz buin sunband bracelets SPF 20
Johnsons baby suncare SPF 40
Ambre Solaire gel - SPF 25

I've just read the back of the Ambre solaire gel and it says 'do not use on face' why is this?.
Hi Mi$$y

Your skin on your face is more delicate that the rest of your body, if you think of your normal skin care routine, you wouldn't use your all over body lotion on your face would you? Different products do different jobs.
Just returned from Cyprus, bought piz buin for me and soltan once a day for tom amd mick...........................never again. The piz buin was like paste and I found it hard to wash off and the once a day turned clothes a nasty lime greeny yellow colour, and they both burnt!!!!! we followed instructions on box and re-applied later in the day! Spent another small fortune replacing them, 13E for ambre solair!!!!!!!! I'll stick to what we are used to from now on and never ever once a day again
I always use piz buin once a day on my son,he's in and out of the water,reapply every 2 or 3 hours and he never burns so I really rate it,tried soltan once but didn't get on with it,we use piz buin spray on ourselves and prefer that to any others.Sorry you didn't like it,hope you enjoyed Cyprus,did I read that you were getting married there?if so ,my congratulations to you both!!!!,T.
reapply every 2 or 3 hours and he never burns so I really rate it,tried soltan once but didn't get on with it

If you need to re-apply every 2-3 hours I don't see the point in spending the extra for the once a day - you can just buy your usual cheaper suncream. I thought the whole point of 'Once a day' was to save the bother of re-applying so often.

I don't get on with the Soltan range either. It is known for turning clothes a funny colour.
My faves are Piz buin and banana boat.
:tup :tup
Piz buin and p20 every time for us. don't like the boots sultan it did not do the job for us. so sorry you did not get on with the piz buin. I have always highly recommended it as partner suffers with vitiligo(no skin pigmentation, White patches) so burns very very easy and for many yrs stayed out of the sun even with the very thick stuff that he used to wear he would burn :really Since using these two products the once a days he as been able to sit out in the sun and go swimming, so as been a new lease of life for him. :tup

Pip
x
I probably don't need to reapply that often but I'm paranoid about letting him get burnt.I know it 's an expensive way of making sure but I think that if we can afford to go abroad then we can afford to pay for lots of cream,I buy throughout the year,from e-bay,savers,wherever it's on offer then just top up before we go if I don't think I've got enough.
I really like piz buin once-a-day as well but I do confess to only using it on my shoulders and the tops of my feet (as they are places I will burn if im going to and figure the once-a-day will afford me more protection :que ). For the rest of me (and my family), I use creams from the Avon bronze range, mainly the factor 15 for me and factor 50 for my daughter. I find this range is brilliant and gives me more than adequate protection if applied correctly (and I go a lovely colour with the sun). Cant say I have ever tried Soltan but as an eczema sufferer, I have to be careful what I use so dont change brands of sun creams very often at all.

Sarah :)
Hi

Has anybody used L'Oreal sun lotion, its half price in tesco's and the kids SPF is 40 and 50 which is too high for my and my youngest daughters skin type, and face sun protection also half price.

I am looking for a good fregance free sun lotion, can'r stand the perfume ones.
Elemis is back in stock at salonskincare, bogof offer is not available though.T.
Imedeen tan optimising pills, has anyone used these, are they safe?

They're perfectly safe as they're just a form of vitamin. I've been using these for years, they're excellent and certainly make your tan last longer :tup They're expensive but Boots often do 3 for the price of 2 on them
I used to work with a girl who took tanning tablets - she looked like she had been tango-ed! :rofl
But this was some years back, so I'm sure they're much better nowadays.

Some tanning tablets have beta-carotene in them - I know that my ex-workmate's did.

Holland and Barratt do tanning tablets (£3.99 for 60) but it doesn't mention the beta-carotene in them
(well not on the website anyway) which might be just as well because I have just read this...

Beta carotene is a member of the carotenoid family. Carotenoids are pigments that give fruits and vegetables
their red, orange and yellow colors.

In high doses, beta carotene also turns the skin yellow or orange, not exactly the "tanned" color you might want.

But there's a real concern about taking beta carotene supplements in higher amounts.
Doses of 20 milligrams daily are associated with an increased risk of heart disease and cancer in people who smoke.
It's not known whether this risk might apply generally, so it's best to be wary of supplemental beta carotene in amounts
significantly higher than standard multivitamin products provide (typically 1.2 mg).

Ample amounts of beta carotene, a precursor of vitamin A, are provided by vegetables and fruits such as sweet potatoes,
carrots, spinach, mango and cantaloupe.

You'd be wise to avoid beta carotene pills for colouring the skin.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.