General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Cannot believe last week my avon rep told me my bronze aftersun lotion had sold out, phoned the customer services number and on thursday received them back in, ordered 2 big bottles off there website, with 3.50 p&p, £3 a bottle, this is the best aftersun I have ever used, it must be popular now as it had sold out before thursdsay, cant beat the price for the size of the bottle.. I begrudge paying upto to a tenner for aftersun, and the bottles arent even that big, and ofcourse my fella uses it also, so this is why these are really good value... all I need now on friday iss my amber solaire/hawaiwan tropic sun tan oils from qulity save.. and the rest of my toiltries for the hols... :sun2
Does anyone know where I can get NIVEA CAROTENE SUN LOTION.Iam not having much luck with my search.I was told it is a really good product to give you lovely tan. :sun :sun2
Hi Franny

It shows on the nivea.com site, but not on the co.uk one, so I would assume that it's not
readily available over here.

Your best bet might be to check out your local pound shops and Home Bargains as they
often have foreign/discontinued lines for sale.

Good luck, hope you manage to get some.
Franny,

I've only ever seen this abroad on holidays, I suspect it's not sold here as the SPF it's available in is very low at 0, 2 & 6 :really You'll notice Boots etc. don't do the brown bottles of Nivea anymore as they SPF's were too low & go against a lot of UK shop policies now who wont stock suncreams below an SPF 15. As Molly says the £1 shops etc. might be worth a try.

I've seen it in 250ml bottles but predominantly a small brown pot.

You can buy from a German online shop here - http://www.dean-german-grocery.com/product_info.php?info=p5744_Nivea-Carotene-Sun-Lotion-SPF-6---250-ml.html but works out quite expensive. Some German sellers occasionally advertise it on eBay. If your going abroad then you would probably have better luck in the shops there, I know you can buy it in Cyprus and Spain.
Thanx for the info.I did see it on the german site but thought it was a bit too expensive.Wondering wether to try Avon beta carotene or the Elemis tan accelerator.Any suggestions on the better of the two. :think
Just back from holiday 2 weeks ago, I used the Elemis tan accelerator after reading wonderful things about it on this forum. My legs don't ever seem to tan as well as the rest of me. Used 2 tubes (one before and one during the holiday)and have to say there is no noticeable difference. I am so disappointed however it is a really good moisturiser so don't feel the money spent was all in vain, but I won't buy it again.
I can't comment on the Avon product as I haven't used it but as it is a good bit cheaper than the Elemis I would suggest you give that a try. Good luck and let us know what you buy and if you find it any good!
I have ordered three bottles to be delivered tomorrow. I am not convinced they will work, but at £3.00 each bottle and with a free face sun protector I thought they are worth trying. Will let you know how I come on.
I am using the Avon beta carotene cream and I have to say it is really nice. Went on holiday mid June and used it whilst there and I am convinced that it helped with my tan. I am still using it now (despite not having much sun) and apart from anything else, its a lovely moisturiser and its smells gorgeous. I am still a lovely colour now so im convinced it works and will be purchasing more.

Sarah :)
thanx everyone for the replies,I have decided to try the Avon Beta Cerotene seems a decent one & a good price.Well just ordered 3 bottles.Fingers crossed. :wave:
Hiya just a quickie, how many bottles of sun tan lotion do you tend to take on a 2 week beach break? We are off to Thailand in October and so far I have 5 bottles (normal size) I am just about to order another 3 from Avon as they are on offer. Do you think this is enough for 2 of us? We ran out last year and ended up spending a small fortune over there but I dont want to weigh the luggage down too much.
Cheers
Hi guys, got a great tan in jamaica, but obviosly has faded, so anyway, the lady who did my waxing reccomended 'fake bake gold' and tell you what, have managed to maintain a fab tan. Its not cheap, £29 a tube, but loads in it and only have to use it once a week. The thing is, its a really dark brown when it comes out, so you can see where you are putting it, and you put it on at night, sleep on it then in the morning, when you shower, a little bit comes off in the shower, but it looks really believable, and I'm a bit rubbish at applying fake tan, but no streaks at all, result !! my godsend product of this year !!
just wanted to share it with everyone !!
cheers,
juby
Oooh thanks Juby - I might take a look at that! :tup

Does it mark the bed clothes though?
And if it does, does it wash out easily enough?
Hi milly-molly, unfortunately it does come off a bit on sheets and pillows, but washes out no problem !! seriously, it's got to be the best product, so foolproof and believable, but when you first put it on you will think its sooooo dark, but after the shower, gorgeous colour !!
As I say, its definately not cheap, but worth every penny if it gives a crackin' colour !!
yesterday tesco had some ambra solaire at £3 in the spray bottle, and some other makes aswell as there own.....also the face suncream for brown spots etc was on offer at £2.75
My Avon lady brought the latest brochure round last night and there's quite a few
sun tan lotions/aftersun that are on half price sale.(Average £3 a bottle)
i used anti aging garnier suncream on holiday in august and I have never burnt so bad. My chest was burnt bad and I couldn't wear half my clothes that were low cut as it looked such a mess. I will never use it again :( I used gatineau tal accelerator prior to holiday aswell.
Which product exactly was this from the Garnier range? If it was from their anti-aging range - as opposed to an Ambre Solaire product - then it probably only had an SPF of 15 because their Anti-aging range is designed for daily everyday use and it just doesn't contain the sort of protection levels that are needed in intense sunshine. It would always need to be supplemented with a sunscreen. And in the end the best anti-aging measure is not to get tanned skin in the first place - there's no way around it, a tanned skin is a damaged skin that will age faster than a complexion that has been kept out of the sun. All the best any over the counter creams can be relied on to do is slow down the aging process of our skin, they won't reverse it.

I tan easily and quite frankly exploited that fact and abused my skin as a result in the past. I now use a NO7 moisturiser with an SPF of 15 as a matter of daily routine and top it up with their higher rated sunscreens when outside in the sun. This last two years I've started using their anti-dark sun spot face cream in the summer (SPF25 here and SPF50 when on holiday in sunnier climates). I still get a light tan and whilst it does nothing for the existing sun spots and freckles they haven't got any worst which I reckon is the best I can hope for now from any over the counter preparation.

SM
I'm going to Cuba next week and I'm just taking one bottle of Children's Nivea suntan lotion for the whole family which is factor 40. I'm really not bothered any more at my age getting a tan as I've seen the damage it does, my father has skin cancer due to many years of travelling abroad and not wearing any protection, also I don't want to look like a walking chamois leather when I'm get into my 40's & 50's so I'll probably come back looking as white as I went.
I'm going to Cuba next week and I'm just taking one bottle of Children's Nivea suntan lotion for the whole family which is factor 40

Assuming that you are going for a fortnight and there are 3 or 4 of you, I would suggest that you need to take more than just one bottle depending on the size - even if this is a 'once-a-day' type lotion. Unless it's a waterproof 'once-a-day' lotion then the general advice is to re-apply every couple of hours and after swimming.

On my last trip to Cuba, on my own, I went through more than 400mls in 18 days of which only about 6 days were actually spent around a pool or on the beach - I was on a tour and a lot of the time was spent travelling and on those days I only applied it for when we'd actually be walking around outside. Despite it being quite overcast on a number of days, using 30SPF all the time and never sitting out in the sun - I spent even the 'rest' days under sun umbrellas all the time - I still developed a strong tan. I think that the only way to have completely avoided any sun exposure would have been to stay indoors and cover up in quite heavy clothing when outside. The sun in Cuba at anytime of year can be much stronger than in even the Med and even in the shade, the level of exposure can be very high. Please do take care and stock-up, especially because you'll find it difficult and expensive to buy decent sunscreens over there if you run out.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.