General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
JoyceR27 , the Piz Buin dry oil spray was in Home Bargains £4. My hubby has used the Piz Buin one a day sachets and they worked really well he didn't burn at all
  • Edited by Llindy 2010-04-10 08:40:39
SMa wrote.Heavens! Given that the general advice now is to never, ever use anything less than SPF15, I didn't think that anybody was still making anything this low, let alone using it! Even if you've got a good tan and/or have the sort of skin that doesn't burn, those pesky rays are still going to do all sorts of damage to skin with such a low level of protection. I have a very sallow/olive skin that always tanned easily and didn't burn and used to use very low SPF lotions or even Hawaian Tropic coconut oil which contained none at all in my youth but I can assure you that I'm regretting it now. I now spend a fortune on creams that are supposed to diminish the 'age spots' and uneven skin tones on my face and elsewhere but I'm losing the battle. If only I knew then what I know now I would never have exposed and abused my skin in the way that I did in my teens and twenties especially since I still tan even when using SPF25 at the very least now.

SM

I don't use any at all......................Should i go stand in the corner?

If you believe all the so called experts advice you would never eat anything or leave the comfort of your arm chair!
I don't think anybody should stand in any corner because of an opinion given. An opinion given well within the Ts and Cs of the site.

Now lets get back to topic please.....

Thank you

MarkJ HT Mod
I am going to try Maui Babe browning lotion. I've seen it at Victoria Health (just google it) and it's raved about if you look up the official site.

Won't know til September either way.

I didn't find any difference using Elemis but then I do tan well regardless.
The Sun Mousse (formerly Bergaderm, formerly Proderm) is FAB stuff. Got mine for £9.89 a tin (rrp £14.99) from The Sunshine Health Shop with free delivery over £25 and I got a free sample of their after sun mousse too!

It's the only thing I use on the kids....lasts 6 hours, towelproof, sandproof & waterproof. My kids have NEVER once burnt using it home and away!
Boots currently got most sun block etc buy 1 get 1 free but it finishes soon apparently.
My local Asda currently has Ambre Solaire at £5.00 per bottle, presume that is countrywide. I have stocked up on a few.
I think I get a better tan using higher factors because I can stay out longer. I stick to 25 / 30. Put something like factor 10 on, and I'd only be out for a couple of hours, and covered up the next day.

Got back from Goa recently, and there was a very fair skinned English girl slapping oil on. You could see her getting pinker and pinker, but she wouldn't give up. Didn't see her for a couple of days after (sitting under a cooling shower perhaps?). Anyway, the next time I saw her she was chatting to another couple and picking at the skin which was coming off in lumps on her chest. Didn't stop her from slapping more oil on and staying out all day again though!
Colour does last longer when it's taken slowly that's for sure.

But still, the SPF system originally was to lessen the risk of burning according to your personal skin type and how long you were in the sun. If you start to burn within half an hour of being in the sun wherever it happens to be then a factor 2 would allow you be in the sun for twice as long, a factor 10 for ten times as long etc.

I don't know when it became 'everybody should wear above 25' etc.
I don't know when it became 'everybody should wear above 25' etc.

When cases of skin cancer continued to rise, despite warnings and improved sun protection lotions, and dermatolologists and the manufacturers began to realise that most consumers don't actually put enough on each time they apply it to make the formula above work. Over the years, I've traipsed my way through a number of dermatology and plastic surgery clinics and never once seen any of the staff with a tan. The dermatologist with the loveliest skin for her age that I've ever seen, told me that she had become so concerned by the numbers of women that she was now treating for skin cancers that she wore at least SPF15 on her face and hands even in winter, never anything less than SPF 25 on a sunny summer day here in the UK and, SPF 35 on her body and a total block on her face when abroad in sunnier climes. I decided there and then that I would start to do the same.

And the reason why I've seen so many dermatologists and plastic surgeons is because I've already had two suspect moles removed from my face (thankfully proved not to be cancerous by the subsequent biopsies) and numerous others investigated that they decided could be safely left alone. A good friend, of similar age and with a similar tanning history to myself, who has for many years also taken much more care was not so lucky - the mole on her face was cancerous (though thankfully not a melanoma). So for me it is definitely a case of SLAP (on a hat) SLOP (on the sun cream) and SLIP (on a shirt) - not that the message is getting across to young people in Australia where the slogan was coined and where melanoma is now the major cause of deaths in the under 30 age group.

SM
Boots soltan is good too also on offer. And tesco had piz buin half price at the weekend.
I was given some pizbuinSun bands today. Kids thought was fab idea....
Wherenext? wrote:
I was given some pizbuinSun bands today. Kids thought was fab idea....

I bought some of these today from my local poundland great bargain and really handy :)
I have bought some Maui Babe browning lotion to try this year, see if it helps my legs to tan as they don't seen to take a tan like the rest of me. You apply your usual suncream, leave 10 minutes and then apply the Maui Babe. At £22 a bottle it's not cheap but will be worth it if it does the job. Last year bought some Elemis and it made no difference so here's hoping this one will. Going away end June so will let you all know:)
Hi Kimi, I'll be interested to know how you get on. I've used Elemis and think it helps a bit but I'm trying the Avon beta carotene this year as it's much cheaper.
Piz buin do a 2xfaster tanning lotion,I used some last Saturday and sat out for a little while,also the odd half an hour during the week and I'm already getting a bit of colour,they do different factors too.T.
I used Maui Babe a few weeks ago when we were in Portugal. It was sunny and low 20's and I went browner than in a long time, in only a week I used it over Piz Buin, either spf6 tanning intensifier or the 2xfaster dry oil spray. I wasn't sitting in the sun for a lot of the time either. Less is more with this product as it tends to be a bit greasy if you overdo it. Will give it a proper tryout in Lanzarote in September. I use the Avon carotene when I get home to help prolong the tan (it's cheaper than Piz Buin Tan Prolonger lol).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.