Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
can you please advise, i am due to fly to marmaris on 8/9/06 my tour operator has said i cannot get another holiday as they are still admitting holidays to turkey, they said i would lose 90% on flight and 50% on accomodation, we dont know what to do, i want to go as i love turkey but dont want to put myseft in this danger, but will lose all the holiday if we dont!!!! wot a situation!!!!!!!!!!!!
please adbvise :roll: :roll:
I agree with Briar, Kathy. I'm going to Sarigerme on 25th September, although I would be a little more worried about going to Marmaris, I still wouldn't be cancelling my holiday.

As I said in earlier post, I'm off to London in March, now THAT I am worried about, I feel the risk in the UK is much bigger than in Turkey. I think as long as you are extra vigilant, you will be fine.

But if you choose to cancel, I understand why. Its a tough call and only you can make the right decision for your family.

Catherine xxx
i was there when the bombings took place in marmaris,luckily i wasnt in the same area as the bombs, we were waiting for our coach to collect us to bring us home :cry: we had to drive to the area to collect more people for the coach and it was in total chaos. i would say that now was probably a better time to go to marmaris as security is going to be very high, on the drive up the mountain in the coach we were stopped 3 times by the police who came onto the coach to do a thorough check,they wernt threatening at all.
if i had a holiday booked to marmaris i would not let this put me off infact i am in the middle of booking another holiday for next year,so go and have that well deserved break and dont let the cowards win
This is a terrible tragedy but one that can happen anywhere in the world so it will not stop us going to Marmaris on the 15th September.
Kathy, Like I said in my post earlier to Kristina. GO, ENJOY your holiday, don't be put off by these events, when you get back, be sure and come on here and tell us all about it. We are going to Kusadasi on 14th Sept, our second time in Turkey this year. Unless FCO advise against it, then our Booking stays firm. You have a lot to lose financially and for what?? As Briar said, only you can decide what is for the best. No one on this website will hold it against you if you decide against going. It is a very worrying situation but we can't let the Bombers win. Already, loads of people have gone ahead with their plans and gone out to Turkey.
I'm off to Turkey late September. We are on a gulet from Marmaris to Fethiye (or the other way round) and will only consider not going if the FO advice is not to go because that invalidates all holiday insurance. Otherwise I'm gonna be there. The security will be very high for weeks after these bombs so I am probably safer there than at home.

Just be alert - look for unattended lugage etc. Keep your eyes open.

Enjoy Turkey!
I still have a weeks holiday to take not booked anything yet and intend going to Marmaris in October.
As someone else has already pointed out,as a result of the bombs securitywill have been increased so the area should be safer.
I know its easy to say but if you have booked please do go and enjoy your holiday, dont let the scum win

Stewart
We are off to Fethiye for our honeymoon at the end of september and although the current situation is worrying, what are the alternatives. It could happen anywhere. We will still be going we haven't looked at cancelling the holiday. I just hope the situation gets better for all of us travelling anywhere at the moment.
Fly out on Friday morning and still looking forward to it, no way are they going to stop me, I've lived through the threat of the IRA in the 70's and 80's and everything else going on over the last 5/6 years.

If I stopped for one then I might as well become a recluse, just will be more vigilant and will enjoy myself, more risk of being stabbed and mugged in the UK in my opinion.

Dave
Good on ya dave, have a fantastic time! We go on the 11th and are still going, I'm starting to get excited again after having a downer put on it after the weekend.

Efe's is calling us!

Love nikki xx :wink:
Anyone out in Marmaris who can tell us people due to go out there in the next few days how things are now?

Things back to normal?
lots of police out on the streets?
tourists doing the things that tourists do?
What the general feeling of people?
Does anyone think that Dalaman Airport may be a target ?
I would guess that the Turks are like the British and when something like this happens they become much more vigilant about Airports.... i hope..... :?
Alex-Dalaman is a military airbase,would be far harder to target than randomly placed stuff on buses and in bins.
Thankyou - That makes me feel alot better.
the pkk is NOT the IRA or Al qaeda.......... yes there are people killed but they are not in the same league of terrorism......... the "bomb" on the dolmus did not kill anyone. 2 devices left in waste bins did not detonate properly. Whats the difference.....simple ..the pkk are cowards who hit small easy targets for maximum publicity but are not on the scene when the incident happens........... they are a small time operation. al qaeda are far more organised and far better funded, the result is huge devastation.... i am not belittling the pain and suffering caused in Marmaris but I feel that a perspective is needed.
One final thing....there is only one road into marmaris and has a jandarma control point.. all Turks have to carry ID cards......... believe me that maximum security here is far more extensive than the uk.
the choice to come here is yours.... and you must be sure in your own mind to do so....
hi all sad to hear about bombs in marmaris i love the place i was there last year when bombs were going off and also the girl that died did not live far from me . but hey it did not stop me going and taken my young family ok you might think i'am selfish but i went with an open mind and a few rules one of them was not to travel on the bus almost walk every where to start with or get taxi cheap enough had great hols and would go tomorrow if i had the oppertunity security will be tight so any one going in the next couple of month can feel safe. last year as we were walking along by attaturk statue the police were stopping any one with back packs and also doing random checks at bus stops some police were undercover as we seen them checking a young lad with a pack on his back so in my oppinion if your going nows the best time don't let this put you off you always here about brits being caught up in it all thats cause we out number all the rest marmaris is for the brits chin up all have a goodin wish i was going : 8)
One final thing....there is only one road into marmaris and has a jandarma control point.. all Turks have to carry ID cards......... believe me that maximum security here is far more extensive than the uk.

This has helped me a great deal chelsea boy,i am now starting to again look forward to my holiday on Thursday... so Thank you.

One more thing would you say that things are more or less back to normal in Marmaris now?
You can i hope understand how worrying it is for people who are due to go to Turkey soon.
HA come on people!!!!! Go to turkey In MY OPINION its the best Place in the world ou get tsunamis In thailand you get bombs in Egypt You get hurricanes in florida *more frequently Than ever* but it just so happens that Its happened it turkey at this present moment .you get Insecurity werever you travel these days But then its down to you If you wish to cancel that is your choice no one elses And SHOULD be respected
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.